Page problems

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2590
Posting here so this will be seen. Any of you having trouble with the pages on this site loading fully to enable scrolling - seems to take ages?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13804
It seems to take some time for the ads to load.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2591
Yes, that's what I'm experiencing and until they do I can't scroll down or even use the end button. It just wastes time.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11025
Oh yeah. This is one horrible site. My computer sometimes freezes and I have to restart it when on this site. Even the one at work moves very slow on this site.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2594
Glad it's not just mine then :-)

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 577
Buy a Mac? Get away from spyware / many popups and Windows hating hacks?

My load time is reasonable with no freezes.

Art, you need to find a 12 year old (NOT Scotch!) to give your confuser a good going over.
I just fixed the neighbors. I walked into NO mouse, totally frozen. Mangaged to get it going in 'safe' and ended up peeling about 20 virus/ trojan/ BSWare off it.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2596
The other problem is when typing in the post form: when the words fill the box, they disappear below the bottom line and I have to scroll down to see what I typed. Pain in the as$!

A Mac - no thanx Leo.

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 104
My PC loads the site fine and pretty quickly. What browsers are you using? Might want to try out Firefox or something. Also try downloading Spybot Search & Destroy. It's a very efficient free spyware removal tool that should help your computer run noticeably better.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 579
Why not, Rantz? Only reason I can think of is PC games?
Other apps are in place, and if you GOTTA have Windows games, run a dual boot setup. At least 3 ways, that I know of.
Wanna go offline with this? I've got everybody in my family going Mac and nobody is looking back!

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 720
The site is getting to be pretty data heavy, which slows things down considerably if a) your PC's not up to it and/or b) your high speed internet connection can't do download speeds > 5mb/s. I have 15mb/s download speeds so the pages load pretty quickly....just a second or two.

I have both a pc and a mac at home. I understand why a lot of folks prefer a pc, but I ain't one of them.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11027
Not being Michael Jackson I don't know any 12 year olds and I'll buy a Mac when I win a couple of grand to do it with, meanwhile, Leo you are welcome to come and give the PC a once over and share a 12 yr old (Scotch) and listen to power cords...lol!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 581
I think that an argument could be made that Mac IS cost effective. Antivirus and loss of time is not getting any cheaper.
Some good freeware makes that easier, like Adaware and AVG.

Mac also charges for what for Windows maybe considered a 'service pack' (Snow Leopard upgrade)

So, while I am trying to be fair, I still come down on the Mac side. This after a decade+ of Windows, starting w/Dos // 3.1 and NT versions.
Even used an OS2 Warp system for a while and had a VIC-20. (poor cousin of C-64)

The NEW 27" IMac w/LED display is game/set/match and IF I could afford the upgrade I'd do it. For photographers, the LED display finishes it off.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2597
So, this is turning into a Mac vs Pc thread eh?

Go at it - I can't afford a Mac, no one I know has one. My PC is fine most of the time - just not so much on this site. The pages load fast - it's the darn Google ads and a few design flaws methinks.

Bronze Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 38
only problem I've seen loading this site is on the iPhone, despite "the nation's fastest 3G network"
Course .. this is a house full of Macs too.
One of em even has XP on the back side.
There's a Lenovo in the office, but that's work ..

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 582
Art, keep some 12yr in the freezer. won't freeze, 'cause of the booze part. I'll be rite over!

To be 'constructive'.
Google 'speed test' and try one out. This will give you some idea how fast your connection really is and upon which end there is a problem, if any.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 39
Last Result:
Download Speed: 1529 kbps (191.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 948 kbps (118.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
October 30, 2009 6:51:59 PM EDT

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11031
Last result:

Download Speed: 18.47 Mb/s
Upload Speed: 2.26 Mb/s
Today

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11032
The site still sucks...

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3197
First step to solving the problem.

Step 2:

Stop using Internet Exploiter (Explorer). Switch to Firefox.

Step 3:

Install Adblock.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Step 4:
Restart Firefox

Step 5:
Any annoying ads, just click on the image and select "Adblock" from the context menu.

What happens is a lot of these ads are loaded from 3rd party servers, which are usually very overloaded and slow. Get rid of the ads, and pages load much faster.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3198
Only catch is it doesn't work on Flash ads, but you can just disable Flash in your browser.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3199
Interesting... the site blocked my first step.

1) stop using IE.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13810
The comfort in all of this is that the posts will wait for me.
I have no need to hurry, except for work,so I can wait.
Oddly enough, P@rn loads very quickly...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3201
It's all a matter of priorities Nuck.

I see you have yours straight.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13812
ya mon

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11034
How do you get the font on Firefox to stay big enough to see. I haven't found anything about Firefox that I like. So how do you make it usable to blind people.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3202
Do you have a scroll wheel on your mouse Art?

Hold down the ctrl key, and use the scroll wheel. It will adjust your font.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11038
I'll try that David....will it stick.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11039
It appears that you have to do it every site you visit. Is there a way to increase the size universally?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13818
That is what spam mail is fir Art! LOL!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11043
Size matters!

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592

That sounds like what you're after, Art.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11044
Looks good...so once you have it, how do you use it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
In the tools menu at the top of Firefox, click addons. From that, click extensions and you'll see it listed. Click the options dialog and experiment until you get something that suits you.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 371
I am also running Firefox, with Adblock Plus and also NoScript both installed. Both great add-ons that will block a lot of garbage and NoScript specifically makes browsing a lot safer. NoScript will block Flash ads. Why let sites load scripts onto your PC without your okay first?

With these two add-ons you'll get virtually no ads.

This site loads pretty quickly for me. At work, where we still use IE6, it's quite slow loading a large thread.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 584
When I still pc'd, I converted to FireFox with some good results. Sticking with Safari on my Mac.

Safari has a 'block 3rd party cookie' option which helps lots.

Over the years, starting with Internet Exploiter IV, the options in setup / security changed. The last versions I saw wouldn't let you block cookies. I didn't like some of the changes I saw happen.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 585
Just did upload / download test.
I used 'speakeasy.net' and the server in Los Angeles
2508 / 428 were results. I am a DSL guy, since I can't afford cable ($$$).

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3538
Someone a while back posted a way to get rid of the green underlined ads. Anyone remember how?

I have to use Explorer at work, can't download anything else.

My work and home computer both freeze up for a little while when opening a long thread. Its pissing me off.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13829
But Stu, you have nice clean laundry from a quiet machine...

Your Pal,

Nuck

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3540
I just remembered I didn't take a picture yet. I should post pics of them in the system pics thread, because they should be a Bryston BDA-1.

The good news is when I leave, I have the option of taking them with me, or my landlord agreed to buy them from me for full price.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3037
The eCoustics page is arcane; no avatars, pics are difficult to format, YouTube links with previews suddenly disappeared, and load times are ridiculous, particularly on pages with pics.

This is NOTa Mac vs. PC thing, it's an eCoustics thing.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11052
I'm with you Chris!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 374
But there are things you can do that will either exacerbate or alleviate the load times.

Firefox + NoScript + Adblock Plus ftw!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11054
Well I downloaded Spybot and all of the problems it found were with Firefox...go figure.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 375
Are you sure it found a problem with the actual Firefox program? Firefox is a trusted browser and in very wide use.

I run various security software...Norton, Spyware Doctor, Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Ad-Aware. None of them have an issue with Firefox.

Spybot is generally regarded as pretty useless nowadays. Most of the time you have to pay to get good security software. Malwarebytes seems to be the exception to that rule. My suggestion is to delete Spybot and run Malwarebytes. But you also need a good firewall and antivirus software too (like Norton). Those other programs won't be enough.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11056
Look Dan I don't know s h i t about any of this and I think I've made that clear. Someone on this thread recommended that I use Spybot, I did, and the 13 problems it found were in Firefox....that's all I know...aight!

My ISP is Comcast which which gives subscribers the McAfee suite for free, so I use it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 376
Art, what about my post made you think that I thought you were an expert about this stuff? I'm just a little confused.

I gave you some suggestions. It's up to you if you want to try them. McAfee is equivalent to Norton, though McAfee doesn't have the best reputation compared to some of it's competitors. However, if you get it for free I'd go with that.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2195
Dan, I pulled in Malaware last night and found things I did not know were there, and I have used Ad-aware, Spybot, and Norton, though I need to renew my subscription for it.

I do believe I know a lot about this, at work I am sort of an expert non-IT guy, and I found your information most useful. Thanks for the posts. Nick K has also been most helpful.

Now I have to figure out when I want to back up my XP in order to upgrade to Windows 7 which I already purchased.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2196
Oh yeah, I also downloaded Adblock, cheers David!

No delays in loading eCoustic threads.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11058
We can do this all day Dan. I never said that you said I was an expert. My point was that I am not. That I am trying to take advice however it's difficult for a non expert when it is contradictory. Since I don't know any better when someone says to use a specific software and then someone a few posts later says it's moot then it just winds up being confusing. Everytime we've done this in a thread it's been like that and I lose track of what to do and what not to do.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13841
Art smashes keyboard into forehead, gets in line at ER behind Nuck.
Bloodied, yet somehow non-plussed...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11059
After looking (and ofcourse, being the blind leading the blind...as I haven't the foggiest what I'm looking at) I decided to install Spyware Doctor and Adblock.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13845
And it gets you to my comment here all the faster...worth the price of admission alone!

Sarcasm Sunday!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11060
Now that I've installed that useless program is there any that are free that do more than attempt to scare you into buying their product.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 43
Specially bein as the only game to watch is on tomorrow night.
The "Ain'ts" are finally showing they've got what it takes. Course, nobody's in Naw'lins to watch em any more

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 377
Well yes, again, Malwarebytes is the free program. Spyware Doctor is good, but it is a paid for program. They will probably ask you to buy, since what you've downloaded is simply a trial version.

Try this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Click on "Download Free Version"

It never asks me to download the paid version.

If you want reviews, PCMag does some really in depth ones:

Spybot: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2261193,00.asp

Malwarebytes: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2345349,00.asp

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 44
Yanno, back when I used a Windows based system, I would use AVG for my aintivirus software. The base version is free.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13846
This is just killing Art, LOL!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11061
Actually it's not killing me, it's become humourous. It's like asking what's the best speaker in the world...you'll get as many opinons as there are speakers and people.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Spybot finding issues in Firefox isn't surprising if you chose to import your Internet Explorer settings and whatnot (it would have given you a dialog to do this when you were installing it). Just have Spybot repair those issues and you should be good to go.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 378
haha, that's true Art, security software isn't unlike audio in that regard.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13847
Run Avast! and it picks out Spybot around 7 times, LOL!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
I think Avast picks up the log/storage file that Spybot uses. I believe you can set it to ignore that.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2795
Mac sucks. Windows 7 is the best OS I have seen Leo.lol * Stirs the Pot*

I have never had any problems with this site. I have no viruses or spyware on my system though, and I DO NOT use IE. Firefox.

Or you can buy a 3 thousand dollar door stop with a MAC label on it just so you can surf the net and do some cover art.LOL!!! I build full out Linux systems at work, and they suck too. Linux sucks. Unix sucks. Sorry MAC lovers.lol Windows 7 people, upgrade go. Now! Go! Run Avast while your at it.lol.

*This was meant to be fun Mac people* (Mac sucks)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2796
P.S. Malwarebytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3210
Don't hold back Nick, tell us how you really feel, lol.

Linux is a mess, in my opinion. I've spent quite a bit of time working with Linux professionally so I have a fair degree of confidence saying that.

Maybe 10 years ago it was in a position to challenge Windows as an operating system, but the Linux community is so fractured and splintered that it's long ago lost any relevance.

The average home user does not want to spend 10 hours editing configuration files in vi just to get their wireless card working on their laptop.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2797
lol

David, you ever install NVidia graphic drivers on Fedora 10? Un-real. You want to just take the system and throw it in a dumpster.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3214
Nick, I remember way back when the only way to install Linux on a laptop was with a sledgehammer. Hopefully its gotten better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2798
lol it hasn't. It is terrible. I am running two copies of Windows 7. And I must say, it blows away anything I have seen to date. Even the new MAC OS. Hands it a beating.

P.S. Amazing how fast and good this site looks. LOL!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 381
I'll probably be putting together a new PC next year. Looking forward to Windows 7, and Blu-ray too!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 592
Nick, consider the pot stirred, and near full boil!
Look up W7 upgrade and you will see that the smart money is bet on buying A WHOLE NEW COMPUTER.
Good for Bill!
Most XP systems will take HOURS to upgrade, if it can be done at all. ( I have seen 8 hrs listed) while Vista folks will need about 4 hours. That is is you are running the anecdotal minimum system of 1ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram. The smart money is on 2x that for entry.
Drivers and other support is problematic.
AND, if you do get it to successfully load, 'ya better have ALL your software ready to reload and ooopps! Did you back everything up?

I just now finished upgrade to 10.6 SnowLeopard in about an hour, start to finish. Period.
I bought the 5-pack, so I can share with some relatives who I also induced into going Mac. A neice, a nephew a brotherinlaw and 1 left over!

I had windows for over a decade, got tagged a few times pretty good, decided I liked W2K well enough to skip Vista, than when drivers / ITunes kind of forced an upgrade, I went to XPPro.
W2K/ XP were both very stable so I can't complain.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14990/upgrade_wars_snow_leopard_ubuntu_windows_7

I will go w/LeoLaPorte on this. Business? Go with PC
Home? Go with Mac.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 593
Art, here is the 'for pay' version of
adaware, which in the free version was my choice.

There is a 'simple mode', which sounds like your cup of tea. Also, buried in the review is a link to a chart / summary of all the software CNET tested in this catagory.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354111,00.asp

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2600
One thing I did this morning was pull the sides off my box and was flabergasted at the dust inside. I carefully used the soft brush on the vacuum hose for the easy and safe to get at thick stuff. I unscrewed and removed all cooling fans, cleaned them and what was beneath and elsewhere with a can of compressed air. It's now running cooler, (haven't heard the fans so quiet and come on so seldom for ages) and this forum's pages are loading quicker although there's some room for improvement on some pages.

Must remember to do this more often.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 594
Rantz,
You didn't take the heatsink off the CPU, did you?
You just R+R'd the case fans, right?

My last PC had a Lian Li all aluminum case. I ran it with one side off during the summer to facilitate cooling in my non-AC house. In house temps would peak at 80f in late summer afternoons.
This case also had 2 fans blowing IN thru a filter and counting the 2 fans in the PS, it had 4 fans blowing out. And I still had dust bunnies the size of billiard balls.
Before doing this, unplug and let it sit.
You can use pipe cleaners and Q-tips to get at some of the nasty / tiny places. Careful with the 'canned air' since it can fog / contaminate optics, like in the DVD drive. Don't believe me? Try spritzing some on a clear glass. Stuff leaves a residue, so use w/caution, especially around your audio equipment.

When you turn on, do you know how to get at CMOS setup? These are the settings that control everything from memory timing to boot order.
Somewhere buried in there will be a temp readout.
When it is as hot as it'll get, do a restart and have a look.
The FIRST thing I did with my IMac was to find aftermarket fan control software and crank 'em up. Sis-in-law promised to make me a dust cover so I can cover up when not using it.
I try to keep the GPU and HD temps below 40c, which works. The CPU is about 30c right now, and the unused DVD drive is cooler.

Good PM to do at least annually.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Do actual compressors leave any residue? I'd think not since it's just a fan filling up a tank, instead of being aerosol. That's how I clean mine out and I've never had any issues.

The dust that builds up in these things is ridiculous though. Can not be good for someone with bad allergies like myself.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2601
Leo, no I did not remove the cpu or anything other than the fans. The comp air I used isn't supposed to leave a residue, but I kept it away from the hard drive. The PC is now running quite and everything is working much more smoothly.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13848
Yes, Freddie, depending on the compressor type, as some need lubrication to run.
A compresser for airbrush painting, etc. is only ambient air, as it uses a diaphram pump so it is as clean and dry as ambient.
A painters pump like this likely has filtration/seperation as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2799
lol Leo, at work in the last week or so we have upgraded over 30 machines from XP to Windows 7 and all of which took about 20 minutes (if that). During the upgrade Windows 7 asks to create a small image partition to backup your current machine. If selected Yes, it does so very well. Not sure what people are telling you this stuff bud. Anyway, In my world MAC is what it is, so of course I am going to have a poor outlook on it.lol. I know its good for home users, very good. I am just pulling some chains if you know what I mean. It is good to see, Finally, a Windows OS that can be put in the same class though. 7 is really good.

The machine I have put together for the media of late is running at 24C CPU, 28C GPU and 21 HDD. Using ball bearing 3 inch fans and replaced the CPU Heat sink with a fanless control heat sink. The fans operate at three different speeds and are running at the lowest. The power supply is also a energy saving PSU and I am running the ESU technology to make the system 65 percent more power efficient. On a noise test the machine barely hits the scales at a low 15DB. Quieter than my NAD AVR's.lol.

Leo is right, be careful with compressed air. Turn it slightly sideways or upside down and you just froze your components. Shop vacs with reversible air tubes are very good. Just don't leave it on suck. We have a few of these at work.

Good stuff M.R. Taking the cpu heat sink off is a must every few years if the machine is constantly running in danger mode of heat. The paste dries up and the heat sink will lose contact with the cpu just so slightly. If you have to take the heat sink off, do so, then scrape the hard paste off the bottom. Take the CPU out and do the same, carefully, especially if the CPU is a 478 socket as the pins are on the bottom. Then take a rubbing alcohol and gently clean both the heat sink and cpu. Then put the cpu back into the motherboard slot and apply a dab of thermal paste to the middle. Use your finger to rub it in. Put the heat sink back on.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 595
What is current heatsink compound? I have a tube of Arctic Silver.....at least 4 or 5 years old. The heatsink / fan I put on my CPU ( yep, 478 pin) was a Zalmann. It was Al/Cu and mushroom shaped. It was worth about 4 or 5c against 'stock' cooler.

My last PC was LOUD. No measures, but with a total of 9 (!) fans, including the one in the PS which I only heard turn on 1 time, it was temp switched, it sounded like a helicopter landing on my roof.
I used a razor blade to drag out the compound and have a VERY thin layer. The coolers base was very flat and polished, so the contact was good, too. Once installed, I never touched it again. my bad?

Did you check out the link I posted? The Computerworld article would have you buying a new computer rather than 'risk' (my word) the upgrade to W7.

I've had my fill of Windows. Not that the last ones I owned were all that bad, but when it went South it was too much hassle. IMO, the worst class of hacker should have there heads mounted on sticks. They cause untold damage and in rare cases, could even bring people to harm. Besides, they piss me off.

I find it interesting that people (statistically) who have a Windows problem get mad at Bill Gates while those who have problems with there Mac, blame themselves.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2800
"Once installed, I never touched it again. my bad?"

Nope. I think the CPU/Heatsink shouldn't be touched unless there is a overheating issue. So if it is still working fine, then leave it IMO.

You mean those 19 year old booger picking kids from Computerworld said to buy a new machine for Windows 7? Well I better go out and do so.lol kidding Leo. Listen, I have an old 478 socket P4 3.2 HT system with 512DDR ram at work here and Windows 7 is running on it just fine. It actually is faster than it was with XP Home. Windows 7 detected that the video card was too weak so it automatically stripped out the new GUI for the basic one so it would run. Vista would have just crapped itself. Well, wouldn't of installed at all.

P.S. People who have problems with a Windows machine just do not know what they are doing. People with a Mac problem just don't know how to use a Mac.lol. Imagine the guy with a PC problem trying to figure out a Mac? lol.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 597
Nick I was with you until::

P.S. People who have problems with a Windows machine just do not know what they are doing.

Sometimes you just get tagged. Those IMDB sites are the worst. (internet movie data base) More crud there, almost, than the hack music 'sharing' sites.
These days, the *&^%$()#@ just digs in and there is typically NO WAY for the average person to dig it out. I've had some success in the past, but the usual cure is to simply reformat and start over. My time is better spent, like by trading jibes with the folks here on 'coustics! If I need a couple technology degrees and an MCSE to run a computer, I'll go back to can and string. And I've run behind a wired router and at times have had everything from Black Ice Defender to Zone Alarm to various Norton products ending up with ESET NOD32 for my last year of XP pro use.

I think I'll stick to Mac fo' now. Intel makes a great CPU and the unix based OSX is stable and quick. The use of some 'standard' parts, like my ATI video and DDR3 memory is no dis.

DING:: Round over!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2802
lol I have no problem if people want to play with a MAC in their own home. But in the real world they are still useless. Come to my job for a day and try to watch my jr techs explain to someone that they can't view their camera's remotely on their Mac's unless they run a dual boot Windows OS on it. These people do not know how to use their Mac's let alone install Windows on it.lol No active X support means no live video stream unless its in a crappy Jpeg form which is frame by frame video. This is just coming from any digital built surveillance system in the world. They all use ActiveX codec for live video streaming remotely. ActiveX only works on Windows. Large companies who have switched over to MAC are now screaming and crying because they are trying to integrate a large Security system in their building but CAN'T.lol Because nothing supports Mac. None of them do. I am the guy that has to find the work around...See why I dislike Mac????lol This is my world bud.

Now thats just work though, home use I have no problems with Mac, like you say work=PC, home=MAC. Fine by me, but when I get home I don't want to look at a PC.lol I want to play tunes. The only PC based anything I have been using of late is a Media Control System I built which is streaming blu ray downstairs and music upstairs and setup to record my TV (mainly UFC and TUF10) so I can watch it later down in the theater. It is streaming dual 1080p signals, with an optical surround sound signal going downstairs and a two channel signal to a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic upstairs at the moment. lol How much do I have to spend to get that in a MAC?

LOL Leo I hope my posts are not making you mad as I just mean them as pure fun. Reality is I understand the market for a MAC, I do. And know in that market it is a very good machine, and that market is growing rapidly. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3040
I'm strictly a Commodore Amiga man myself.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11075
What...now there's something wrong with my can and string...damn!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2805
lol some guys at work still have their original VIC 20's (before Commodore). I had a Commodore 64 that had a 5 1/4 inch floppy that was an exercise routine.LOL! I was 6 I think.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 599
Naw, no heartburn. I think it's fun, though. The MAC / PC war is still apparently in full swing.

I still have 2 beefs with PC, and I'd be running one if it wasn't is that they tend to be glitchy; you need too much special knowledge to make one run exactly as you wish. This is NOT to say there is no specialty LORE associated with MAC. I am finding out there is indeed lots under the hood. I have the 'You Fixed It' issue of Mac Life out in the LR.

Beef #2 is something the operator has much to say about. That is the HACK. Even a large corporate system can be downed by the latest bug. At work, every couple years the PC at my workstation would get infected with something. The MIS guys always had a couple taken apart or under test. People doing random internet play were the usual culprit.
Spyware. Malware. Trojan. Virus. Backdoor attack (ouch!). Cookies. Keyloggers. I'm sure the list goes on.....and on.

Now, a serious question. I feel your pain of no Active-X support in Mac.
Can security video feeds be done as QuickTime?
The question of standards boils down to 1.who gets there first. But more likely, 2. Who gets there first with the most CASH. The Bill Gates Business Model includes the purchase of rivals for intellectual property then either standardization or ruination.
This is wandering away from the funner (more fun?) issue of PC/ MAC bashing which is soon to be an Olympic Sport.

Christopher: I have a Vic-20 in storage. Want it?
Art: The string has to be TIGHT to work properly. Have another drink!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 600
Boy, talk about Pirates of Corporate Greed.
I worked down the street from Frontier. They made chips for Commodore. Company had a very aggressive profit sharing and bonus program.
Commodore bought 'em out and screwed everyone out of much of the bonus.
This was when a couple grand would still buy you something.

I have the cassette drive for my Vic-20. AND the TV modulator, so you can use your Bigscreen as a monitor.

Where's Nuck when he is sorely needed?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11076
"Have another drink!"

I think you have me confused with another member...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2807
lol Leo

Beef 1 -Fair enough.

Beef 2 - The reason why PC's are hacked and virus oriented is because they have(or had) 95 percent of the market. If you think Unix or Linux is not hackable or can have viruses written for it, you are wrong. As Mac pushed the market and is now up to about 18 percent of it, over 800 unix/linux based viruses and hacks have surfaced in the last year alone. We have had to write new firewall codes for our Fedora 10 based units to block these hacks as two of our Linux units have been hacked( NOT good). Again, I am the guy has to deal with this, and is one of the reasons why I hate Linux.LOL!! But thats a whole other debate. As MAC popularity grows, you will find more and more hacks and viruses for it. But!!!, in the meantime, a Unix OS is definitely more safe.

Security video can feed via Quicktime either through 3G service or JPG service. Both work, and I am able to get camera's to view remotely via Safari using both services. It just isn't that good. Only one camera's can be viewed at one time and both codecs only support frame by frame video stream which is about 1-3 frames a second. The best solution for viewing remote video on any Apple product is through the I-Phone believe it or not. There is an app called I-View that allows you to view remote video through the large manufactured software codecs such as Geovision, NetVision, Nugent and Sunel. We deal with all four of those companies overseas for our software programming.

LOL - Vic 20!! There is a sales guy here at work that is always bringing up the fact he still has a VIC 20. He is quit proud.lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3041
The Amiga lives! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam440

Vic-20, C64 (loved it), Amiga (loved it more), ColecoVision (although I never bought into ADAM), if it was abandoned, I owned it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us