Is it helpful to use a DAC or anti-jitter filter with an entry-level system?

dcentrylevel
I like the sound quality of my system overall, but audio playback seems kinda thin. but I've been looking at some DACs and anti-jitter filters online (under $500) and wondering if they would help improve the quality of the sound. I've been comparing the GW Labs DSP sample converter, the Monarchy 24-96 DIP, and others.

Would these do anything for my entry-level system or would I be wasting my money? I don't have a separate pre-amp/amp, just the Denon 3803.

My system:
Denon DVD-2900
Denon AVR-3803
Rotel CD1055
KEF Q-series 5.1 speakers
Velodyne HQSII12 subwoofer
Panamax 5300 for power filtration
MIT AVT interconnects
LAT International interconnects
Straightwire interconnects

G-Man
The Denon 2900 has excellent DAC's and has no jitter problems. Is the Rotel a receiver (RSX 1055) or is it a cd player or what? Just wondering as you already have an Denon AV receiver and the Denon universal DVD player plays both DVD's and CD's.

I have a Denon 2900 that I play through an Aragon 2007 amp and the Aragon AV pre-amp with ProAc Response 2 and PSB Stratus Goldi speakers)and I have never had a problem playing either DVD's or CD's with that system. And I just use a standard optical connection and just well made inexpensive speaker wire (I think heavy gauge 0.30/ft Monster Cable wire).

Hawk
dcentrylevel:

It is your receiver that causes the "thin" sound you are experiencing. I have the same receiver and it is one of the worst purchases I have ever made. It works fine, but the sound just has no "life" to it at all. I guess it is what I get for only taking five or ten minutes to listen after a saleperson's recommendation.

I know your CD player, too, and it is a super piece of gear. It should have a very nice and expressive sound. If it doesn't sound that way to you, then it is definitely the receiver that is at fault.

On another thread, I have already suggested some outboard amps that you could try to replace the Denon amps on the front channels. Alternatively, you would need to look for another receiver, either an NAD 762 or a Rotel. Neither is afflicted with "sterile sound" as the Denon is. Try replacing your Denon with an in home audition of one of these receivers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us