Piling an integ. stereo amp+power amp ontop of a receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Jodavis

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
Hey guys. I have a pair of Cerwin Vega d-9's and will be getting the Cerwin Vega VE15f's soon so I'm going to need a lot of power. I have my Yamaha receiver+power amp(a bullsh*t DJ one) driving my speakers:

Since I'm using an A/V receiver, the bass is a bit light (even though I have the power amp) and I want to add the new NAD c375BEE integrated stereo amp since it's dedicated for stereo and that its got more bass and power. However the NADS wattage still falls short under my speakers so I'm adding a Cerwin power amp ontop of the NAD to match the speakers RMS rating. My concern is if the Yamaha A/V+an integrated stereo amp+power amp will work altogether? In other words,the source goes in the A/V, signals it to the NAD with better bass and sound, and amping the NADS goodness with the CV power amp. Am I screwing up the sound this way?

NAD:http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-375BEE-Integrated-Amplifier

power amp:http://www.cerwinvega.com/amps1800.php

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2571
I don't what to say here, but the cable companies may do okay (grin).

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2790
Julien, speaker wattage ratings are pretty much useless. Correct me if I am wrong guys but arn't the Vega's the easiest speaker in the world to power. I think the 375bee would be GOBS of power for your speakers.

Just use a power amp. If you like NAD, get a 275. Call it a day.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14138

What makes you assume you're going to need a lot of power? The CV's are rather high sensitivity speakers that play loud with not that many watts. How loud do you want this system to go?

Why'd you buy a bullsh*t amp?

Again, why do you assume the bass is light due to the receiver you are using? Is it just because it's a receiver that you have convinced yourself the bass is light? CV's don't demand that much of an amplifier that a receiver should have problems. Otherwise, the CV's are not recognized as "bass-shy" speakers, just how much bass do you expect?

Are you assuming you need more watts? Is that what you mean by, " ... it's dedicated for stereo and that its got more bass and power"? You've convinced yourself you need more power/watts, but don't both the NAD and the Yamaha measure to have the same frequency response? Why would you think the NAD has more bass?

"However the NADS wattage still falls short under my speakers so I'm adding a Cerwin power amp ontop of the NAD to match the speakers RMS rating."

You mean maximum wattage? Ignore it, it is meaningless. Look at the minimum wattage requirement and know that it is difficult to blow up speakers with too much wattage, particularly speakers that play loud with very few watts, like your CV's. Also know that unless you intend to push the amp to its breaking point you should never use more than handful of watts on the speakers you've chosen.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Just how were you going to add this CV amplifier "on top" of the NAD?

"My concern is if the Yamaha A/V+an integrated stereo amp+power amp will work altogether."

Probably not, even if they do, you'll likely have a mess to deal with. That many amplifiers - even if they are not "on top" of one another - will very easily cause ground loop problems. At this point, given your description, ground loops would be the easiest thing to fix with that mishmosh of gear.

"In other words,the source goes in the A/V, signals it to the NAD with better bass and sound, and amping the NADS goodness with the CV power amp. Am I screwing up the sound this way?"

Everything passes through the Yamaha first which you say is inferior quality. So what's the rest of the system going to amplify? Crappy sound from the Yamaha? What if the source player is crappy too? Then you'll have crappy sending crappy to be amplified. Sounds like you're expecting an awful lot from those amplifiers to make something good out of crap.

Are you screwing up the sound? Yeah, you are but, who knows, you might like it just because you bought it. You sure are wasting a lot of money for not much quality and not getting anything better than the Yamaha in front and the CV amp in the back. So what's the NAD going to do? Send a crappy signal from the Yamaha to a crappy CV amp? It's bullsh*t too, you know.

There are several ways to make a better system than what you have, buying all this stuff isn't one of them - unless, that is, you just like the look of lots of boxes with tiny power switch lights and lots of f'ing knobs to tweak.

Why not just buy a decent HT receiver and make things simple and effective? What you've got planned is bullsh*t.

And you might want to actually go to a decent dealer and have them explain how watts and things really work. From what you've posted, you need an education.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us