FIM Power Outlet

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 713
All of my audio gear is still plugged into one of those $0.77 power outlets so I thought I'd give one of these a try.

http://www.a4audio.com/cd-detail.asp?CatalogID=844&Group=Accessories&SGroup=FIM

It just arrived today so I'll install it tomorrow after work and see if it makes much of a difference. Never did make much sense to me to plug $200 power chord into a $0.77 outlet, but that's what I'm currently doing.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 570
Some would argue that a 200$ powercord, into a 100$ outlet into 10$ worth of Romex to the box is 'gilding the lily'.

I kind of went a different direction, having a dedicated 20amp drop for amp and sub only.
The remainder is thru a power conditioner and the low current stuff THERE is thru an isolation transformer which is part of the 'conditioner.

I've got a couple ceramic outlets out the garage which I've never worked up the energy to install.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3532
The electrician was at my house yesterday installing dedicated lines for the new washer and dryer. I had an interesting conversation with him about it.

He said he charges about $150 or so to install a 20 amp dedicated line with dedicated ground. The price depends on how long the lines is, time spent, etc, but $150 is about average.

He's done a bunch of them for stereos, and says they make a pretty good difference every time. He said he never really thought about it until he did the first one, then ran one for his stereo and another one for his TV. He claims its probably the best thing he's done for his system.

If I owned the house, I'd have him run a line for the stereo. Its a very cheap thing to do, relatively speaking. I've never heard anyone who's done it say it wasn't a very good upgrade.

If anyone's spending $100 on an outlet, a dedicated line for a few bucks more is a no-brainer, IMO.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 714
True enough Stu, but I already have a dedicated line to the box behind my rack. So that's already taken care of.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2180
I went the same route, 3 dedicated circuits with a second grounding rod outside,completely isolated from the house current. I used hospital grade outlets for about $12 each. One 20 amp quad circuit for my amps, one 15 amp quad circuit for my sources, and one 15 amp duplex circuit for my pre-amp. I have plugged a PS Audio Noise Harvester into each circuit.

It only cost me about $225. After the first circuit you only really pay for the materials.

From an audio performance perspective, it was one of the best if not the best return on investment I have achieved, not counting "free" tweaks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13759
And the lights no longer dim to the beat of the music...
I pulled 8 circuits while I was at it, but if you saw my little house, you would have done so too.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 716
I just have the one 20 amp circuit, but for my little 15W amp, I think I'm fine. My listening room is the only finished room in the basement, so I can easily run another circuit off of the breaker if I need to. One brother is an electrician and the other is an electrical engineer who works for the local power utility, so I get lots of advice and help on these sorts of things.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3534
I didn't realize you had a dedicated line. If you've got the line, the outlet makes sense. If you don't, its probably a waste of money.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 572
I, too, think it was money well spent. At the same time, an outlet was put in the front eve to supply switched power for Christmas Lights.

Money well spent, all 'round.

And ... to Nuck ... No More lights flickering in time with the music, as was the case in the past, especially with the OLD Carver Cube.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13764
The dimming lights should be a dead giveaway to issues.
Your power amp(s) like good steady power, indeed.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3176
My next house I'm going to make sure I have a dedicated line for my gear.

Right now the only dedicated circuit I have in the house is for my reef aquarium, with ground fault on the outlet. Probably a good thing, since water and electricity (I've read) make for not so much a good combination.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 717
LOL David. I'd love to have a reef aquarium. We have a freshwater one and we love it. Very peaceful to look at after a busy day at work.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13770
David, how do you de-humidify the room?

Mike, I do not recall if the electrician installed a seperate ground for you as we discussed back then?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3177
I don't Nuck. I probably should. It's actually good in the winter since it keeps the dryness out of the house. It would certainly help in the summer.

What size is your aquarium Chris?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 718
40 gal David.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3178
Cool. Mine is a 47 tall. It's kinda a weird dimension, but we chose specifically to fit an otherwise waste of space on my main floor.

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13773
Is this tank subject to fungal bloom?
I had a discus tank before, a 100 gal, which was a PITA.
And get your lazyass off the couch, Dave and paint the bathroom.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3535
I miss my Piranha tank.

6 Red Bellied Piranha in a 55 gal.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3180
Reef tanks are susceptible to all sorts of algae and bacterial blooms. Usually in the early stages of the tank.

Discus are notoriously hard fish to keep. And a 100 gals too Nuck. You don't do anything halfway.

The bathroom is finished!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13775
Aquariums are wonderful therapy, until something goes wrong, then it is fish 911, usually in the middle of dinner parties, New Years, etc.

Filling pails, the tub, sinks, and fish in plastic bags.

I do not miss the drama.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3181
Ain't that the truth Nuck. My 15 gallon plant tank leaked in my dining room and destroyed my beautiful hardwood floor.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2183
Nuck, copper ground rod 10 ft deep, 12 ft down from the house ground.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13777
sweet, Mike.

David, when things go wrong, they go wrong in a 45 gal heartbeat.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 719
After installing the outlet and having a couple of listening sessions, I think the investment was certainly worth it. Lower noise floor, better soundstage depth, and a little more grunt in the lower frequencies. There is also a lengthening of decay times in delicate passages. Not night-and-day differences like some of the reviews I had read, but worthy improvements.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13786
And the power will never be in question again, Chris.
That is worth the price of admission alone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us