Turntable Pioneer PL-20D: no sound!

Username: Syko

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have recently acquired a turntable pioneer PL-20D that seems to be in good condition (new cartridge and stylus, turns) but the only audio output is a 5 pin din cable (male).
I have purchased a female/female DIN 5 pin coupler and plugged a 5 pin DIN to quad phono lead cable to my hi-fi system (auxiliary plug) but no sound is going out.
However I can hear sound coming from the stylus!
I have also checked if no cable was cut or in a bad condition in the turntable but everything looks fine.
Anyone has an idea on what might be wrong?
Thanks in advance for your help
Regards,
syko

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14111

Panel mounted audio outputs are typically female connectors which prevents accidental shorting of the plug. You might want to look around a bit more for another output.

It would be very unlikely anyone would put an aftermarket tonearm on this table but you might have the wrong cable for whatever arm is on the table. Depending on the pin out configuration of the cable you'll need to match the pin out to socket in on the cable. Does this appear to be an O.E.M. Pioneer arm? Are there any markings on the arm? Where does this DIN plug connect on the table?

It's also possible the table you have is meant to connect to a rack system and would have a specific pin out configuration for whatever system it mated to. This would be consistent with a female plug on the interconnect. Are there any Pioneer service centers in your area?

The next guess is your system doesn't have a phono pre amp and plugging into the aux input provides no gain. You'll need a phono pre amp.

Soooooo, you have several potential problems here. You'll need to do some more investigation before we can narrow this down any further.

Username: Syko

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your guidance.
I have already plugged a phono pre amp between the turntable and the aux input as my stereo system does not have an input specifically for a turntable.

I have looked for another output on the turntable but the DIN is unfortunatly the only one.
The DIN plug is directly connected to the arm by 4 leads (2 black, 1 pink, 1 white) and a ground lead.
Also it is an OEM tonearm with no particular marking on it.
How could I know more about the pin out configuration of the cable?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us