Dolby Digital through Headphones??

Matt
Can you really get Dolby Digital & DTS through Headphones? My Brother and I have been fighting over this for weeks, I say "it is not the same". He says "it is, all you have to have is the receiver with Dolby Digital & DTS". Will some please settle this disagreement for me?

Thanks.

Derek
Dolby has a system called Dolby Headphones thats is "supposed" to sound the same. There are also some headphones that have multiple speakers and decoders in them. I have listened to Dolby Headphones and it does not sound the same. Dolby Headphones is used quite a bit on software DVD players like Cyberlinks' PowerDVD.

Most receivers including my Denons disable all DSP when the headphone jack is activated. So I get plain old stereo. I would imagine that the receiver would have to contain a Dolby Headphones lable at the very least to work.

Hope this helps.

John A.
You would also need a different kind of processor. Your two ears get the same sound, but with time, phase, and amplitude delays, caused by the different paths of the sound from the source to your two ears. And the phase and amplitude delay is frequency-dependent (hence you can't hear where your sub is). Your brain decodes all that information to tell you where the source of the sound is, if it can. The processor would have to create those effects, not just distribute the sound to different channels, as with speakers. Stereo headphones just give you the amplitude part, so the sound stage feels like it is going through the middle of your head.

I read Studer have prototype surround headphones. I do not know how they work.

Dolby headphones indeed require a different processor:-

http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/pf/DolbyHeadphone.shtml

I think you are right and your brother wrong, Matt.

Matt
Thanks,
But my brother was right though, You all should try it. Go out and get a good set of Studio Headphones, and Plug them to a Dolby Digital/DTS recevier. It is Crazy sounds the same, if not better then some speakers. But thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us