Onkyo 601 help

mark rouche
I have just received the 601 refurbished from J&R for $280. However not sure if it is working or if I am an idiot. I have no on screen display. The 601 video out is connected directly to tv. The dvd is connected to 601 via s vid, however the manual says coax is only for cd and dvd should be connected to optical. My dvd only has coax. Also the sat and cable are only working if connected directly to tv. otherwise I get sound no video if I use s vid from sat out to the 601 for cable and sat. no onsreen dis at all. I am new to this but have learned a lot from this board. Please help.
thanks

Anonymous
I think the OSD will work only wher composite is connected from receiver to TV. (composite is the once single RCA plug yello color)

mark
can I use receiver to contol video?
thanks

Anonymous
what do u meen?

Mark
can I use the remote for the receiver to control dvd/sat/cable through the receiver? Also if I use the rca cable for on screen do I also use the s video cable out from receiver to tv? Can you use both?

Anonymous
Mark, The remote you have is a universal Pre-programmed and Learning Remote - which means that you should be able to control almost every audio equipment. You should check the user manual for your receiver for the pre-programmed codes for your system components, if you don't find them listed your remote will also be able to "learn" IR signals from your existing remotes - this will also be explained in the manual.
Now for the connections, You can use both outputs with no problem - The S-video is actually better than the normal composite so you would rather use this connection for watching DVD and the composite just for the OSD. if your DVD and TV are both capable of RGB or component then this would be the best connection for the video signals.
Hope this helps

mark
Thanks very much for the info. I still do not understand the osd vs the s video. If I connect both as my video/monitor out how will it know which to use for dvd ect also what about the satalite and cable connections. Should the be coax directly onto the tv or should the s video from sat to receiver and receiver video out to tv input 1 take care of it. Thanks again.

Anonymous
You have 2 options:
1. You can connect all your Video sources (DVD,VCR,Cable,Satellite) directly to the TV - if you have enough inputs on your TV. Then have just one single cable from the receiver to the TV for OSD.
2. You can connect all your video sources to your receiver which has quite a few inputs of composite, S-vide and component as well - when using this option note that you will have to connect the monitor out for every signal method to your TV - meaning if you have sources connected to your composite on your receiver then you need to connect the composite monitor out to the TV if you also have sources connected to the receiver via S-video then you need to connect the S-video monitor out from your receiver to the TV and the same goes if you are using component. The OSD will work only on the composite channel. Another thing with this connection is that when you switch inputs on your receiver it will switch the video as well.
There are some receivers that do S-video switching to composite check if your receiver does so you wont need two Monitor outs for both.

mark
Thanks I am almost understanding this mess. However how come I connected the s video from sat to the receiver and s video monitor out from receiver to input 1 on tv and no picture was seen but audio could be heard? Also in your explanation above, am I correct to assume you have only one s video to tv if dvd and vcr and sat are all connected to receiver in via s video cables?

Anonymous
Hi Mark,
Yes you only need the one s-video connected from monitor out on the receiver to TV if all your video sources are connected via s-video to receiver. While you will switch between the different inputs on your receiver(TV,VIDEO1,DSS,SAT....) you will get both the audio for that input and the video for that input on your TV-just make sure that you are on the correct channel for S-video on your TV, this should also fix the problem you have + recheck that all the cables are connected firmly and in the right place.
Don't forget the OSD wont work via s-video.
Hope this helps

mark
Thanks I can't wait to get home to try it.

Anonymous
Tell me how it worked out

mark
I hooked up rca for on screen and it worked but in black and white. Also dvd and sat are black and white. They are hooked up to rec and rec monitor out is svid to tv and rca to tv. Cable directly to tv is color. switching is not easy. please help?

Anonymous
Is your TV capable of broadcasting PAL and NTSC (multisystem)?
If ye check in the TV menue that you have this option auto.

mark
I have a 1999 hitachi ultravision 53 inch projection and could not find this. My wife is about to kill me. I can't believe it has no color on sat and dvd. I need help bad.

Anonymous
Mark, I find it very strange that you get no colour for your sources while hooked up through the receiver and even stranger that you get no colour for OSD. This should be due to a mismatch between the receivers video output settings and the TV's - you should double check the settings for both to verify that you set everything correctly they should both broadcast NTSC or Auto(this should be in the manual), if this doesn't do the trick then I have to imply that there could be something wrong with your receiver it could be a European model where the video broadcast is PAL. In that case just call Onkyo service department and maybe they can clear this out for you.
What I suggest for now, just hook up all video sources directly to TV and all audio for these sources to your receiver and enjoy the sound for now with a colour TV just until you get this thing worked out.
I will still be thinking of your situation and if I will think of something I'll let you know, or hopefully maybe someone else on this board had a similar problem and he knows something I am missing on.
Good luck

mark
Thank you for all of your help. I did what you suggested and hooked video up to tv and everything worked fine. I will ask onkyo about this. The receiver is refurbished from J&R. I hope this is not the problem. Do you tkink it is ok if I leave it this way? Also my sat is older analog. How do I get suround sound? Do you know what settings to use on the rec for 5:1
Thanks again,
mark

Anonymous
Mark, I'm very sorry but I seem to have missed out on a verry importantn thing.
In this model you must use the same type of connection throughout the system or you will lose your color. This was posted to you on another post buy Hawk. sorry.

mark
So do I disconect the rca from monitor out to tv for on screen and use s video for everything? I thought I needed rca for on screen. This doesn't make sense. now do I use rca for everything? and no s video? Sorry for being a pain.

Anonymous
Mark,
With your receiver you kind of have a problem if you use s-video for everything and no RCA then it will all work but you won't have OSD.
My suggestion would be either to leave everything as you have it now or connect everything to receiver via RCA and one RCA monitor out then all will work and you will have OSD - just that s-video is better in quality then RCA so I would leave it all as it is.

mark
Thanks for your help. I thought Onkyo would have thought this out better. I think I will forgo the on screen unfortunately.

mark
Help I had color now I don't. I have sat and cable coax directly into tv, audio from sat to rec via rca cables. Vcr is rca to tv directly. dvd is coax audio to rec and svideo directly to tv. no video out from rec. color ok for all except dvd. Why????????????? Please help.
thanks,
m
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us