AMP Jumpers??

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 294
Do amp jumpers really make a difference? I have the factory pair on my NAD 325BEE. Where is the best place to buy them and what is a decent price?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10845
They make a difference.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72798

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3150
They do. I switched out the jumpers on my McIntosh integrated. The factory ones were surprisingly cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 2981
I agree, Amp Jumpers matter. I swapped out the pair on my HK with those AudioQuest ones and heard an immediate & noticeable improvement.

I would suggest that a good quality 1' (or less) pair of Stereo RCA Cables would yield noticeable improvements over cheap stock jumpers.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/audio-cable/10r4-02101.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13719
Geez, I still have the factory jumpers in, no spare cables right now.
How did I miss this?!?

Why does Mac use subpar jumpers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2982
I wouldn't call them "subpar", just par for the industry. If I'm correct, McIntosh uses the same hard plastic jumpers used by much of the industry, the run is perhaps an inch end to end, and I'll presume uses a solid copper "U" shaped connector, right?

Dude, round up a pair of cables, swap them out & report back, I'll tell you what, and I have no idea why, this simple tweak made more of a difference than did using the DIY Woods Industries' 16/2 Green Extension Cord cables vs. the Belden 5000UE, or any other cable swapping that I've done.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13721
The spacing seems to be industry wide, as an ISO standard, like an Edison socket for fuses and bulbs.
I ordered the audioquest jumper just now, plus a set of cables just because, but I was denied for being canadian.
I found the native site, and the jumpers are double.cost.

Back to the closet for cables, and the live at montreaux 180g vinyl Evans that I wanted. sigh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2983
From a while back...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/519046.html

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3152
I'm using a set of (*gasp*) Monster jumper cables that I got for free when I bought a subwoofer cable on ebay. Even these make a noticeable difference. Besides the fact them being Monster, they're nice thick cables with half decent connectors.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2984
"they're nice thick cables..."

Don't say that too loud, Jan might hear you!

I really will try that magnet-wire one of these days.

The AQ jumpers are nice and their size make for a neat set-up.

I'm not sure what those solid "U" Jumpers would equated to in AWG, maybe something like 8 or lower, I also don't know what kind of shielding that plastic provides, older units (like my KR-6600) had NO shielding on the jumpers at all.

So maybe it is moving to a smaller gauge wire and/or better shielding that makes such a difference?

Mapleshade sells Bi-Wire Speaker Jumpers that are basically a length of unshielded Flat Magnet Wire, I just spoke with Pierre Sprey who said the same set of Jumpers can be terminated and used as PreAmp Jumpers with great success. I believe him.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/biwirejumpers.php

http://www.alphacoredirect.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d4.html&lmd=39634.47 4294

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3153
"Don't say that too loud, Jan might hear you!"

lol... good point.
sssshhhhhhhhh.

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 299
I ordered a pair of the AQ jumpers. Should be here Wednesday. I also bought an anti-IC (used) that should be here this week also. I'm curious to hear the difference it makes also since I'm using anti-cables.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14079

Fe Fi Fo Fum! I smell the blood of thick un's!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13729
Wipe your feet!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2165
Why not just use the same ICs you run from your source to your integrated?

Why do something different?

To me doing something different that using the same cable as you have in the rest of your kit has to be a take away, that or if you are that keen on a different type of jumper perhaps you should change all of your ICs to match your jumper.

My point being that every connection you make, power cords, RCAs or XLRs, and speaker wire, all influence your sound. Why add something that you might be unfamiliar with our have not vetted as one of your interconnects? Most ICs can be made as jumpers or at least .5 meters.

If you make your own like some folks we know then magnet wire would work very well.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10883
In any case the AQ's will be better than what came with the amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13731
It is the most important, or major IC in the kit, after all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2985
"It is the most important, or major IC in the kit, after all."

Absolutely.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13735
thanks guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums