Best speakers for electric drum set and music on budget?

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 789
Hey all. Got a electric drum set, need some big bad assz speakers that can handle machine gun metal drumming and sound sick with music. Emphasis on them being able to handle the kick drums and floor toms without the treble getting muddy.

Looking to find a used pair of legendary speakers for under 200. (you know, mid nineties before they starting making sh*t audio)

I've heard insane top of the line sound systems before, my ears are trained and very particular.

Receiver will be a vintage sony AVD C70ES. 120 watts x 5, and its just barely old enough that it might not suck. haven't hooked it up yet so i don't know. Sony sucks but some of they're top of the line older sh*t is decent, i'm hoping this falls in that category.

So, 2 speakers, preferably with 10 inch woofers or bigger, will settle for 8 inch if its spectacular.

Thanks for your opinions

Bronze Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 88
This is going to go over well....

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10712
LOL!!!!!!! Freddie, you know us well.

Think I'll just keep listening to my Sh!t for audio system and let Lewass chill.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13572
I have decided to wait until later this afternoon, after I start drinking, to respond.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13936

Head down to the local pro sound shop and ask about their used gear. You'd just destroy any home audio speaker.

$200 doesn't usually buy legendary stuff.

Gotta ask, how old are you? Mid-nineties was before they started making crap?! Bet you'd swoon over an '84 Nova.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13575
3 beers votes for a 4-door.
Nine door. If it has more than 2, might as well have 9.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13577
My ears are trained and very particular.

Then why in the name of Bonham are you planning what you are?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2512
His ears are a lethal weapon.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 790
I'm 25, for whoever asked, and I was pretty wasted when I posted last night, but it still describes the situation well.

I am not looking for sound quality here, I'm just looking for something that can handle the bass and midbass without distorting the rest of the song, i.e. built in 24 db xovers that keep the bass far away from the tweeter.

This isn't supposed to be my dream setup, I am a college student and want bang for my buck.

I might spend up to 300 if it will make a huge difference... Between craigslist and the forums, and the economy in the po0per, $300 should buy me a used pair of speakers that were 1000 new...

I like my music extremely bass heavy, but I am not one of those boom boom car rattling subwoofer punks. My sh^t is fully dynamatted and my gains are set appropriately. I want crisp distortion free sound, but with the bass and midbass twice as loud as you guys probably like in relation to the rest of the frequencies.

So I am looking for 2 speakers, powered or not, that will pound my chest when i step on the kick pedal.

P.S. sometimes I wonder if you guys are here to help or here to rant. hopefully both....

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 791
Also, I'm not saying all new speakers are bad, I'm saying most name brand speaker manufacturers lost the quality that they once had.

The specialty high end companies have always been good, but I am not talking about high end (Marantz McIntosh etc) I am talking about something I can find for $200, or did you not read my post Art.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13937

Your request is not really answerable. You'll be loooking through the ads for pre owned gear. That means you'll be limited to whatever is on the list. It makes no sense for us to suggest something that isn't on the list and it makes less sense for us to go to the list to look for you.

The difference between $200 and $300 isn't going to be much, maybe a bigger cabinet in the same line or an older version of something higher in the line. $100 just doesn't make much difference when your priority is knock me down midbass. Besides, legends go up in price with age not down.

And this is a home audio forum, not a pound me in the chest forum. You don't need or want home audio speakers so I don't know how we can help given the situations you've imposed.

Go look to see what's there and read a few reviews of what you find for under $200. Or go to the pro sound shop and maybe they'll hook something up and let you listen.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Like you said, we don't listen to the sort of stuff you want. And, like I said, we have no idea what you'll find in the classifieds.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13586
I would guess 15" Cerwin Vega's, but i have no idea on amplification or connectivity.

My oldest speakers had 18" Marsland bass amp drivers, but thats craigslist stuff.

They went thud really good in the band.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 792
Do you think I would be better off buying something with a torn surround and fixing it?

Also what are some brands/models that have a great reputation from around 12 years ago.

I understand it's a difficult question and ultimately will require lots of time searching for a needle, but I am trying to get some good base knowledge from you guys (especially you in your 30's or older) about older speakers that you remember being outstanding.

I am able to swap drivers and replace surrounds and what not, so if you guys can help me with a short list of good quality brands circa 1990-1995 I think I can take care of the rest, thanks!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13938

You don't seem to understand. What an audiophile considers to be a "good" speaker" is not what you're asking about.

Do you have a problem with buying pro sound speakers? If not, start cruising the classifieds. You want something that plays with the Sony so buy a speaker with at least a 6 Ohm nomimal impedance rating, nothing lower. Then buy something that plays loud without a lot of power, look at the sensitivity/efficiency spec and buy the highest number you can afford. Chances are any non-consumer speaker meeting those two requirements will have the sort of sound you want.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3486
If you don't want/ can't get pro speakers, look into big JBLs or Cerwin Vegas. They can go loud, take some punishment, and can sound surprisingly good for what they are.

A Ferrari F430 isn't designed to be the soccer mom mobile any more than a Dodge Caravan is designed to take a hairpin turn at 100 mph. Audiophile speakers, which are our forte, aren't designed for what you're looking for IMO.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us