Recommendations please

Username: Navymech

Post Number: 1
Yes, this is my first post here, and I am an av receiver noob, knowing just enough to get myself in trouble. I dont have an av receiver yet, and am in the market to buy one soon (new or used). I dont have a ton of money, or alot of room in my house either (divorce will do that). My system as it exists now is a Directv Plus HD DVR and a Sony DVP-NS75H upconverting DVD player being fed into a manual 3 input/1 output hdmi switch, which in turn feeds into a Panasonic TH-50PX50U 50 inch plasma tv (1080i). I currently listen to the tv, and DVD player, through the tv speakers. I also have a VHS player feeding into the tv through RCA jacks. In addition, I have a JVC rack system that I bought about 20 years ago, and I listened to my music on that. However, many of the components in this system have various problems now, and it would be too expensive to fix or replace it all. In addition, I am re-marrying in the not-too-distant future, and I have to consolidate to save space for when my fiancee moves in, as my house is fairly small. So I want to upgrade my system so that it will do everything from one location. I want to run my DVR and DVD player through a receiver via hdmi, and have the receiver feed into the plasma via hdmi. I want to use the DVD player to play music CD's, and I checked my DVD player's outputs, and it has a coaxial and an optical digital audio output. I just bought my speakers 2 nights ago. I found a pair of Yamaha NS-A1738 speakers in very nice shape for $100, and talked the guy down to $90. They are rated at 6 ohms, and handle a max of 240 watts. They have a set of wire posts for high frequency, and another set of posts for low frequency, and a metal jumper bracket that connects the two sets of posts together. These are 4 way speakers, with 1 one inch tweeter, 2 six and a half inch midranges, and 1 fifteen inch side-firing woofer. I know you can bi-wire, or bi-amp, these speakers. I am an audio noob, so I am not sure how the speakers will be wired, and I dont know what receiver I am going to get yet. Here are my requirements for the receiver:
1. I want it to have 1080p-capable hdmi inputs, preferably at least 3. My plasma is only 1080i, but I want this receiver to be as future proof as I can get it with a minimum amount of money, as money is tight now. The tv is about 6 years old. If it goes, I will replace it with a 1080p model. At that point, I guess I would add a blue-ray player to the mix, and would use the third hdmi port.
2. I want to be able to listen to music through the receiver, by playing cd's through the dvd player, or listening to music from the fm tuner. Being that my directv package includes some xm satellite stations, I could also pipe that from the DVR to the receiver. I could even get my old JVC turntable reworked and listen to my old albums through the receiver.
3. I want to be able to watch satellite tv or play dvd movies, and listen to them through these yamaha speakers (not the tv speakers the way I currently do).
4. Although I am not going to set up a big 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system in the near future, things may change in the future, so I want the option to do that if someone should change their mind, or circumstances change.
5. I want the receiver to put out quality sound
6. I cant pay a great deal for the receiver, as money is tight. I have not worked any overtime since January of this year, so I dont have a ton of cash for extras.

I found an Onkyo TX-SR506 on craiglist for $200, and according to the seller he bought it about 7 months ago. I did some researching, and found a refurbished one with a 2 year guarantee for $204.49 shipped, through pricegrabber. I should be able to talk the guy down some based on that. Is this the most bang for the buck that I can get? Is there another receiver that someone would recommend that might be better for me to buy? I am at a disadvantage, as I am very new at this, and I dont want to make a mistake and buy something that I would later regret. I might be willing to pay a little more than where I am at right now, if I knew that the increase would be beneficial in a significant way. This Onkyo model is 100 watts per channel at 6 ohms, but there may be a better decision out there. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13934

In your current situation I would say you can get more bang for your buck by buying new and not sight unseen and ears unheard off the internet. You may disagree but buying stuff just because you find it at a good deal when you have no real idea what you are buying is not my idea of smart shopping or being future proof. The guy decided he didn't like the receiver after seven months, why would you think you'd like it for ten years?

My first advice is home theatre components are meant to not be future proof. The industry is based on constant upgrades that obsolete what came before. Whatever you buy today will not be usable in the near future unless you simply remain stagnant in your system. If something breaks, particularly something mass market like Onkyo or Sony, etc., you'll probably be told it's best to replace anything that's over three or four years of age.

IMO the best thing you can do is not ask questions over a forum like this. Get yourself to a good independent audio dealer in your area and listen. Listen to their advice, they do this for a living and they will be able to work with you on your upgrades and future plans.

Stay away from the big box stores like Best Buy - even if you are looking at the same products at the independent dealer you are better off dealing with someone who has an interest in your system rather than just sticking around long enough to buy their car stereo cheap.

If you simply do not have access to an independent dealer, call either Crutchfield or Audio Advisor and discuss your needs with them. They too do this for a living and will take the time to generally steer you in the right direction.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13563
Media center.

Your amplificaion need never change.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/142906-hiper_media_center

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13564
Newly-single-guys are welcomed here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums