Paradigm versus B and W versus JF Focal

Username: J1000

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 1
I need help in deciding to buy speakers.

Was able to get a demo of JM FOcal Chorus v 826.But unfortunately the delaer does not have any demo speakers for Paradigm and B and W 683, though he says that he can get it ordered.Have read a lot on the Paradigm;s monitor series 9 version 6.Is there a major difference among these sepakers and is the Paradigm really a value for money speakers as what some article claims it to be .... Had sometimes come across some flattering reviews on the Polk series and that was a shock.. hence i may rely on some user 's experiences with these speakers.pl help

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13928

Does the dealer stock other parts of the Paradigm and B&W line? If not, someone's blowing smoke up your skirt.

Dealers can only obtain what they are licenced to sell. Stringing a customer along with the, "I can get whatever you want", line is a bad trick used by disreputable retailers. Unless you see other parts of the current Paradigm and B&W line up in the store and the dealer has a very good reason for not stocking the particular models you want to audition you need to find another dealer.

Otherwise, keep reading and you'll find plenty of opinions about all of these speakers. They are all "value" oriented lines and you'll find plenty of people who like what they bought. Beyond that you have to decide for yourself after listening to some music played through the speakers. What anyone else thinks is not important.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 277
Some dealers will neglect to keep some speakers in stock, simply because they've decided to focus on other brands. For whatever reason, it may be simply that some brands sell better than others, or a lack of room on the floor. I guess you could say that effectively they have stopped selling a brand of speaker but they still technically have the arrangement needed in place where they can order something for you if you really want it. At least this has been my experience.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13522
What's new and on deal goes in front.
Some dealers have 'tailing' arrangements with manufacturers. Used to stock them, still get them, but takes a week, and price is still good.
This would be my second choice, but was so when I bought the Gallo's, but that was a well known purchase, indeed.

Along with JV, if the shop only has one or 2 demo pairs, look for a fuller shop.

Everybody in the free world shows B&W 683's
Look for the shop with a full line.

The 683's sound bloated to me, with overly active bass that isn't really defined.

685's on stands are quite good.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2501
everyone in the free world shows B&W 683's

Except here Nuck, since the new B&W series came out, dealers had to stock at least a pair of each model and in each color. The two local dealers here are no longer B&W dealers. Can't blame 'em.}

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3477
To my ears, the Focals blow the doors off the other two. Its not even close.

That being said, I can't stand pretty much any B&W 600 series I've ever heard - past or present. The newest are the worst to my ears. Very uncohesive sounding and bloated. They were connected to Mac separates every time, so that's not the culprit.

The Paradigm Monitor series is pretty good IMO, but you can do better for the money, like the Focals.

These are just my opinions. A lot of people love B&Ws. They're not the best selling brand of speaker in the world for nothing. Or at least they were at one point.

Username: J1000

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys.. this dealer is quite a reputed guy...he does stock some B and W and Paradigm,s but finds it a little difficult to stock all models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us