My Onkyo receiver keeps switching on/off repeatedly

Username: Shoonka

La Crosse, WI United States

Post Number: 1
So, many years ago my brother gave me his Onkyo receiver (probably 2001-02ish) and it's always worked fine. Then, a couple years ago, I'd turn it on and it would switch on/off repeatedly. Whenever it did that, I would just bang on it with my fist. It worked. Recently the same thing has been happening. Except now when I beat on it, it does no good. I took the cover off, dusted it all out, checked for touching wires, etc. What's going on with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As of now it's unplugged. When I plug it in, it does the on/off thing.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 969
Sounds like it may be triggering an actual or false short circuit. Since it used to get cleared when you would bang on it reinforces the hypothesis that there is either a short circuit or a loose connection somewhere. If you're knowledgeable with electronics it would be really hit and miss to go poking around, plus you're more likely to damage it or give yourself a good shock.
My recommendation is to find a reliable and reasonable repair show but more so, ask your brother if he's sick of his current receiver and get him to sell you that for a song.

Post Number: 2
yeah, the switch plate is mounted on a lil circutboard that isn't easily accessible. I'm not sure where to look for a short, and I've tried pushing all the boards and stuff down tight, but none seem really loose or anything. I spose I may go get it fixed. OR, get a new one. I really only use it to run a set of stereo speakers (small ones) for my tv/360/ps2...any suggestions for a cheap unit that will get the job done?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3803
It's more likely the protection circuit is coming in to play. Now this could be because a component has gone down which is causing the kind of surge that would cause a protection circuit to kick in, or it could be the protection circuit itself which has become extra sensitive (this happens more often than you'd think) and so it just kicks in at the slightest bit of current. You need to take it to a tech person for a look, or save the money and spend it on something new. :-(

Sorry...

Post Number: 3
Yeah, I figure I might just go get a new one, as much as I hate getting new stuff. Any suggestions on what to get? I'm not powering any superfluously large tower speakers or anything...just little guys. Are A/C inputs pretty standard? I'm of the philosophy where I highly value things that have "everything I need and nothing I don't" is it reasonable to look for something around $100? I hope so.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13416
Try a stick. Have you tried hitting it with a stick?

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 976
For $100 you'll get nothing to speak of new. You'll need to look on the used market and I doubt you'll find much there either. It will probably cost more than $100 to fix your current reciever.

What speakers do you have? What source i.e. CD player, DVD player, radio, MP3 player etc? What are you looking for? Does AM and FM radio sound the same to you - that's a real question?

Post Number: 4
I have a cudgel and a digeridoo that I've beaten this thing with, to no avail would it coax out any electronic life/stability. I only use the thing to aux out my TV and 360 via two little aiwa speakers. Maybe I'm better off just getting a new baseline stereo with aux in. Spose I'll take a trip to the store tomorrow to see what there is. I did however, always like the two A/C inputs with the Onkyo.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13423
What is an A/C input, please?

Post Number: 5
alternating current input. basically, a power plug in for other electronic devices

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13426
Oh, a switched or unswitched power source.
There are outlet strips for that.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 505
If there IS a short somewhere, you should be able to smell it.
other than that, any time I've had to beat electronics into submission, its been a cold solder joint.

Post Number: 6
Yeah, thanks for your input everyone, but I bit the proverbial bullet and bought a Pioneer VSX 519V-K. Simple, but effective. I hope you enjoyed my use of alliteration with the 'B's!

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 995
Good move Mikahil, congratulations and enjoy the tunes. Don't hesitate to drop back in and report on how it's coming along.

Post Number: 7
Yeah, the inputs aren't as logically defined with this new Pioneer as they were on my old Onkyo, but it drives my speakers very nicely. HDMI in/outs will be a plus for that one day when I can actually afford to buy a good TV, haha. That's what I get for being a teacher, I suppose.

Post Number: 8
by defined, I guess I really mean placed and labeled.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1006
Mikhail, I know what you're saying about the Onkyo. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 and it's got about the clearest layout of input and output I've seen on a AVR - period. A no brainer for a novice to hook up.Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us