Definitve technology speaker help

Username: Bdogg

Post Number: 4
Hi can anyone tell me about Definitive Technology BP2004's? How do they sound compared to the newer models and would they be a good home speaker to upgrade to or should I be looking into the 7004's? I know they are older but my current Boston acoustics vr950 aren't doing too well. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks so much

Brooke

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13905

If the next step is the Definitive Technologies, I would suggest waiting until you can save a few more dollars.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 966
I've heard Def. Tech. a few times but have not directly compared older to new stuff nor have I heard the models you name. The new Mythos line have detail and smoothness with good tight bass output from my listening experience. I'd agree with Jan, saving a little up and auditioning the Mythos ST or STS models.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13412
I have never been able to recommend any Deaf Tech products.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3468
I've heard Def Tech and Boston Acoustics side by side (Magnolia in Best Buy most likely still has them). They don't sound that much different IMO. The Def Techs sounded a bit darker.

I'm not the biggest Def Tech fan either. I really liked the Power Monitor 500 and 700, but they stopped making them. I guess bookshelf speakers with a 250 watt powered 8 sub in them didn't have a wide appeal.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3023
I always got the impression that Def Tech were more geared toward HT applications, at least that's the way my dealer markets them. Stereophile (for what it's worth) had a really good review of the Mythos, I believe. I've never been that impressed with them myself.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 968
Stu, yes, I'd describe them as dark but with detail. I wouldn't be looking at them for 2-ch but have heard them in HT and thought it worked.

They are worth an audition in my opinion, if one is not too hard to come by. They have their following.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1358
I worked at Magnolia HT for a while and can say that we almost exclusively sold them for HT and we rarely sold the Def techs to a music person. I never found them that good for anything else but big bangs and a lot of sizzle. The only products I found impressive were their subs and the Mythos STS.

Username: Bdogg

Post Number: 5
Sorry about the confusion, I am looking for speakers for a home theater not for a 2-ch. I should have said that sorry. Thanks for all the input I was under the impression that def tech was the top of the line in HT. I really need to do some "in store research". There just seem to be so many options and it's kinda overwhelming for a newb but I thank you all.

Brooke

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3470
There is no universally best anything. Hear everything you can reasonablly hear, and take your time.

The best speakers are the ones that sound the best in your home and left you with enough money to pay the bills.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 970
Agreed, BrookeD, you've got to listen and find our what you like but don't make it stressfull, enjoy it.

Def. Tech. in no way is the top HT speaker. To tell you the truth, it depends on the sound you like. I've heard a KEF iQ series HT setup and thought is sounded really great. Very precise vocals, great imaging and panning. Nice timbre and tight detailed bass but it didn't have that low end earth shaking grunt. Canada HiFi magazine loved them:

http://www.canadahifi.com/review64.php

They are at another end of the spectrum from Def. Tech.

As well, PSB is a very well respected Canadian company for HT and musical speakers. They really got their footing with HT. The new Image series is out and has got some reasonably prices models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us