Archive through April 10, 2009

Silver Member
Username: Mr3dzpop

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 138
Mark,

I'm betting the sub you have is an AM10 and not an AC10. The AM10 series was developed for use with an external powered system. Speaker wires from the RXV1800 to the AM10 and then the AM10 outputs to the AM10 satellite speakers. Have you tried powering up the AM10 with only one set of speaker wires attached and then removing it? There is the possiblilty that the hum is originating in the Yamaha and not the AM10. No doubt what you are hearing is 60 cycle hum. This is generally associated with either a power supply filtering problem or a intermittant ground. Try hooking only one speaker wire set at a time to the AM10 sub. Let me know what you find.

Mark B.

Username: Althoffk

Post Number: 1
Hello Mark, I have Lifestyle 12. Are you able to provide the schematics for the console ? I already have the CD5 service manual, but there are no schematics nor pcb layout. I am attempting to fix the display, capacitor C19 issue. Thank you, my email is althoffk@verizon.net. Thank you for all your help ! Klaus

Username: Cdt

Dear All.,
Can someone give me the schematics of BOSE 321 II? The cost to repair is very epensive (200USD for initail). I would like to do it by myself fist.
My email is tree471@hotmail.com
Thank all

PS. I already have the FW from "Phoenix's URL".

Username: Lifestyle_30

I have a lifestyle 30 system, the main amps flip doors' spring is broken and I am not able to eject the 6 Disc CD Casing Open. Bose Repair service wants $250 to fix the problem, is there anyway I can do this myself?
I looked at the system, however, I did not find any visible screws on the system.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Siva

Username: Redskyaudio

I have the same LS12 problem with the display, and am going to try the cap replacement. My only problem...I can't figure out how to open the thing! The soldering/desoldering part is simple, but I need to get in to it first.

Does anyone have the takeapart manaul or know how to get in to the CD5?

Thanks!

bergman.chad@gmail.com

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 139
Sorry everyone, I've been out of town for the past week.

Siva,
I doubt your problem has anything to do with the flip open door but rather the eject mechanism itself. Email me and I will get the CD20 documentation to you and the scoop on what to look for and how to remedy your problem.

Chad,

Hang in there, I have sent you what you need to open and repair that CD5V. I will send the docs for the CD5V and the CD5V2 since you didn't elaborate on which version you had.

Mark B.

Username: Lynette_p

Hi, I am new to this forum and have limited knowledge on audio equipment.

I hope to get some advice on my Bose Lifestyle 48. I purchased this system June 2005 when I lived in the US; I moved to Australia a year ago and have the system hooked up to a voltage converter now.

Ultimately I would like to purchase:

Dual voltage Power Pack & Cords:
Input - 115/230V, 0.55A, 50/60 Hz Output -- 33VDC, 1.1A

So now I'm wondering if I purchased the power pack and cords is there any chance of damaging the Media Center and Acoustimass Module if I directly connect them? Bose Australia Repair said that the Media Center and Acoustimass need changes made inside both units.

If I can connect them without damaging the units, do you know were I can purchase the power packs and cords? Before I left the US Bose gave me the part numbers for the power pack and cords, however Australia Bose are not helpful at all, wanting to charge $1600 to convert the system.

On another note: The unit cannot read video CD-Rs the system displays "Format Unsupported" Is there any way I can program the unit to read CD-Rs?

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 140
Lynette,

Sorry to hear about your woes with Australia Bose. That $1600 fee to convert is ridiculous. The conversion entails adding 3 parts and removing 2. Granted it is time consuming to get into the system and the change over needs to be done by someone comfortable with electronics. There is also the difficulty of obtaining the correct parts since Bose will not sell them to you. But let's move on to your other questions.

The media center will not be damaged if you use the dual voltage power supply. What the media center needs is the 33VDC to operate and the power pak provides that whether connected to a 115VAC or 230VAC source. It automatically configures itself to produce the regulated 33VDC regardless of the input voltage.

You are correct in that the unit cannot read CD-R's and there is no way to configure it to do so. The supported formats are a function of the firmware installed and there is no source for changing that.

Back to your "real" problem, the LS28 subwoofer. The power supply board used in the US model is the same as used in the European, universal and the Japan model except for selected parts either being installed or not as the case may be. I cannot imagine why Australia Bose is being so pig headed. You could purchase an entire 115/230VAC power supply board for much less than that.

If it were me I think I would contact US Bose and explain your dilemma to them. They may be forthcoming in providing you with either a universal voltage power supply board or maybe intervene with Australia Bose to provide the conversion service at a fraction of the quoted cost.

Let me know how you wish to proceed and I will assist you in any way I can. You may contact me directly by email if you wish. mr3dzpop@bellsouth.net is my email address.

Mark B.

Username: Lynette_p

Post Number: 2
Hi Mark,

Thank you soooo much. You have been extremely helpful.

I called US Bose; after my post and they explained that I could purchase a Universal power supply from them, if I could not purchase one in Australia. I did lightly mention that Bose Australia was not very helpful, but did not tell the technician how much they were going to charge me for the conversion. You are correct; I will give them a call on Monday and complain how much Bose Australia quoted me to convert the system. Especially as I asked US Bose about this before I left the US how much it would only cost me, they said it would cost $200 to $300 to convert the system over in Australia.

I think I'm going to purchase the duel voltage power supply for the media center and will have to endure having a power converter/transformer hooked up to the subwoofer.

I will keep you posted with my progress.

By the way this forum is great and you obviously are extremely knowledgeable.

Thank you once again!

Lynette

Username: Philsnipes

UK

Hi Mark

I am a newbie to the forum and was astounded at how very generous and helpful you are to the many of us out there with Bose issues - scratching our heads!

I own an Acoustimass 5 series II and after moving house now suddenyl only get audio from the cubes. The active sub only produces a horrible intermittent boom from the box unit (sounds more surge/short driven then anything else). Now and again, as I change source types (via a connected Dol 5.1 media player into the console), the sub will sometimes produce a very loud low tone which evetually grows lower and lower exponentially over a period of about 5 seconds... then nothing. All this time the audio to the cubes is fine... If I plug in an external source to the sub independently, I can hear a very faint version of the audio in the sub (ear to the box!).

Would you have any idea as to where I start? I am quite confident with electronics and soldering, but have no idea what component I need to fault find against or even consider.

Hoping that you might be able to help - very grateful in advance for anything you might be able to suggest.

Kind regards

Phil

Username: Adiarc

Hi Mark,

I have Bose Lifestyle 12 model. I bought it in US and took that system to my home country. Unknowingly I plugged the device with wrong voltage supply and got little smoke from woofer. I don't know whether it is only some fuse went damaged or it is having some major problem. Could you please suggest what can I do for this to start my system again.
Thanks in Advance
regards
adiarc

Username: Lifestyle_30

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 07:18 pm: Edit Post
Sorry everyone, I've been out of town for the past week.

Siva,
I doubt your problem has anything to do with the flip open door but rather the eject mechanism itself. Email me and I will get the CD20 documentation to you and the scoop on what to look for and how to remedy your problem.

Chad,

Hang in there, I have sent you what you need to open and repair that CD5V. I will send the docs for the CD5V and the CD5V2 since you didn't elaborate on which version you had.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 141
Siva,

Go back up the page a few posts to my post #140 to Lynette. My email address is there at the end of the paragraph.

Mark B.

Bronze Member
Username: Amoldc

Post Number: 12
Mark I apologize if this post is un-appropriate. I had hard time procuring this part from Bose, so I thought someone can benefit from this unused Bose part.

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have a Power Transformer (230V) from Bose and instructions sent by Mark Burgess (our Bose expert) if someone is interested in converting a AM-10 Series III Subwoofer from 110V to 230V to work outside US. I bought this from Bose for USD 70. If someone is interested I can sell it + whatever the actual shipping charges are.

Please email me @ amol.choukekar@gmail.com only. Lets keep this thread strictly for Bose technical issues only.

Thanks!
Amol

Username: John_rose

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some assistance regarding a lifestyle 28 system I recently purchased second hand. I'm in Aus however the unit is an American one. I was supplied a converter for the AV18 media center and it seems to power up ok. Looking at the PS28 it has 110 - 120V / 220 - 240 V / 50 - 60 Hz printed on it. Does this mean it is a dual voltage capable unit? At present running both systems off a single 1600W converter I'm not getting any sound from the system. Should there be any indication from the PS28 that it is powered on? I may have jumped the gun and pulled off the back of the unit. I also found what looked like a fuse with 250V 4.0A next to it. Checking with a meter if it is a fuse it is currently open... Sorry for all the Qs!!! Any help appreciated I just want to listen to this thing. I'm tempted to get a decent converter too.
Thanks in advance.
John.
john.rose(at)logica.com

bugger!! as an update I just plugged the av18 media center on it's own on the converter and i heard a pop and the display went off. i think i just discovered my converter is suss!! no where do i find the fuse on the av18!?
thanks.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 142
John,

Sorry to hear about all the hassle you're having with that LS28 system. If your PS28 has 110-120V/220-240V 50-60Hz then it is a universal model and it will work on both voltage sources. It will automatically configure itself to operate properly with either source. As far as the AV18 not working, the fuse in question would be in the power pak and not the AV18 itself. Check the power supply pak and see if it too is a universal 120/240V model. If it is then it too should automatically configure to operate on either source. If however it's a 110-120V then you will have to use a step down transformer to run it.

The component you found in the PS28 is in fact a fuse. If it should blow again after replacing it then you do have problems either in the power supply itself or the amplifier section. The PS28 is not a candidate for the DIY category. If you open the power pak for the AV18 and find a blown fuse then it too will have to be replaced. Gather as much information as you can and get back with me. Then we can decide whether a trip to Bose service is warranted or not.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 143
Adi,

You will have to open the Subwoofer to determine just how much was damaged. It won't be as simple as a fuse if indeed you saw smoke. Hopefully only a few resistors and maybe the triac were fried. First determine what appears to be blown and repost your findings.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 144
Phil,

Sorry I'm late in posting to this, I missed it earlier. The AM5 series II is an older model and maybe suffering from dried out caps in the bass equalization portion of the circuit. Email me with your email address and I will get the prints you need to you. I will also give you a list of which caps to check and/or replace. The fact that your cube speakers are functional speaks well of the integrity of the system as a whole so be relieved that you're not dealing with a serious problem.

Mark B.

Hi Mark
Thanks for your reply. I tried to open the woofer but couldn't. Could you please tell me how to open the woofer.
I am really soory if i am asking so silly question. Please help me out.
Thanks
Adi

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 145
Adi,

Go back to the archives above "Archive through January 06, 2008" and about 20 or so posts down from the top you will see my post #4. It contains all the information on how to access the inside of the subwoofer. Good luck

Mark B.

Username: Bosemee

Hi Mark,
I have bose Style model 12-II with CD5 Center system, The Ear phone jack is working fine and I connect speaker with out SUP into fIX I can hear the music from it. When I connect it to the SUP I can not hear nothing. Then I try my Sup with my other receiver the sup seem to work fine. Would you please help me and send me adiagram. Thank you
dave.

Hi Mark,
I have bose Style model 12-II with CD5 Center system, The Ear phone jack is working fine and I connect speaker with out SUP into fIX I can hear the music from it. When I connect it to the SUP I can not hear nothing. Then I try my Sup with my other receiver the sup seem to work fine. Would you please help me and send me adiagram. My Email: utrymeeok@hotmail.com
Thank you
dave.

Post Number: 3
Oooop.... Sorry all, I mean.. Subwoofer

Thank you
dave.

Hi Mark thanks for your advice. I opened both the av18 console and power pack but couldn't find a fuse. i did find an IC in the av18 console that had its top blown off! wasn't cpu - looks like a regulator or similar. a fuse would have been really nice in this case! to avoid causing any more injury to the devices i have sent both for service. i'll let the forum know for future reference what the diagnosis is.
thax
john

Username: Philsnipes

UK

Hi Mark
Thanks enormously for your kind assistance. I have emailed you my details outside of the blog to avoid spam issues. I have also opened up the sub and checked the Bass and Treble pots as you mentioned the word 'equalisation' - They both seem fine, so I will await your info regarding the caps as you mentioned. This is great news and I am very grateful for your generously shared expertise.
Regards
Phil

Hi Mark,
many many thanks
I opend the subwoofer and it was only fues which went damaged. I replace with new one.
I am using step down transformer for player as i have 230 volt power supply.

When I connected every thing and switched on the system some kind of noise is coming. I am not sure wehather subwoofer also require stepdown transformer. I have already set a subwoofer voltage at 230 V . Please guide me.
regards
Adi

Username: Sweatpea818

Madison, Ohio USA

Hello,
My Bose Lifestyle 20 bass module recently quit working. Unit will not power up at all. My question is, would anyone out there have a electronic schematic of this unit? I have 20 years of electronics experience and feel I could repair it myself since Bose wants so much. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 146
Mark,

I have sent you everything you should need to remedy your problem.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 147
Dave,
There are two outputs from the CD5V2, FIXED and VARIABLE. If you are using the variable outputs and getting no sound then most likely the "electronic volume" IC is bad. You can use the "FIXED" output and control the volume via the remote. There also a volume IC within the confines of the subwoofer and the digital information sent from the CD5 controls that IC. I am assuming that the subwoofer is a AM25P series II based on the "Lifestyle 12 II" information you provided. If all this is true then let me know if you are still having problems.

Mark B.

Post Number: 4
Hello Mark, First of all I would like to say Thanks for answer me. I did check over it is a subwoofer AM25Pseries II. There was a sound when used headphone and I can volume vai the remote control no problem. There 1 "FIXER" L and R output on this CD5, when hookup Cube Speakers to L "FIXER" R I can hear very low sound and remote volume control do not work. any suggest Mark.
Thanks again
Dave

Username: Blackonblack

New York, NY USA

Hello! forgive me if im re-posting an old question, but i saw a similar question posted above but was unable to find the answer.

My bose lifestyle 8 series II system is making an extremely loud popping noise. I'll listen to itunes (thru aux in) and hear music fine. in 10-20 seconds the music will start cutting in and out. then I'll hear a deafening pop or scratch. Then nothing again... Same happens when i use the radio.

Any ideas? Help is MUCH appreciated! thanks

Username: Sweatpea818

Madison, Ohio USA

Hello Mark Burgess,

Thank you very much for the information, you are a credit to the electronics community! I checked the schematics and found everything else ok except for the transformer. When I check the windings between the black and the orange leads I show open. I have continuity between all other leads just like the print shows. The problems seems to be the thermal ( circuit breaker?) that is open internally in the transformer between the black and the white/orange leads. Would you know of anyone who would have a transformer P/N- 176194 Rev. 03 or equiv. that they would like to depart with? Again, I thank you very much for your help.

Username: Rangersam

I have a Bose Lifestyle 12 and was able to get the cover off from following previous post to locate the fuse. (touched speaker wires together and blew it) Where is this fuse and what does it look like? Thanks

I spotted a little Buss fuse tucked in the corner. I'm going in!

YEAH! It was blown:-( Thanks for all the info:-)

Username: Drjohn96

El Cajon, CA USA

My Lifestyle 12 (no series II indication, single CD player only) remote function is acting up and, as noted in your archives, it's becoming a pain. My original remote failed, and I replaced it with another I found on eBay. Worked for a while. But a few months later, about 10% of the time it works normally, and 90% of the time, it only works within 5 feet or so. Sometimes, I can't turn the unit off at any range, and the media center also ignores its power off button, so it stays on all night. I'm thinking my options are to find a replacement media center or do the Bose refurbishment thing. The mentioned price of $165 sounds fair, but I shudder to think of the shipping if I have to send in the Acoustimass module with it.

Any advice? I didn't find this problem in the archives.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 148
John,

I would think that the remote is your problem and not anything associated with the console or the subwoofer. It would behoove you to open the remote and check the antenna coil and core to make sure it has not broken loose from the PC board. The ferrite slug is fairly heavy and it's very common that this breakage occurs especially if the remote has been dropped at any time. Try shaking the remote and if you hear anything rattling then it's a sure bet that coil has broken loose. Do this first before considering any actions with Bose.

Another note, while inside the remote, clean the carbon pads on the buttons and the pads on the printed side of the remote PC board with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips. Be very gentle with the carbon pads and the carbon surface on the remote contacts.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 149
Simon,

I have emailed you with an attached bulletin that may explain your symptoms exactly. Let me know.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 150
Dave,

I may be that your subwoofer is not receiving the information sent by the remote. Try changing the speaker configuration to say, stereo or 3-speaker mode and see if these changes in fact take place. If not then your problem may lie in either the cable, the plug or the remote socket on the console. These female connectors are soldered to the main PC board in the console. If the connections are broken on the PC board then the Volume and Configuration Data may never reach the AM25P II. Try this and let me know what you find.

Mark B.

Post Number: 5
Hi Mark,
The first CD5 system I changing the config. by pressing the remote control buttom I can see in CD5 display it's fuctioning ok but still NO SOUND go to SUBWOOFER. When I connect the same cable and the same subwoofer to my SECOND CD5 reciever, I can hear loud SOUND work and everything else work fine. There for the problem still in my first CD5 reviever. Please Mark, anyone have a CD5 diagram. My Email: utrymeeok@hotmail.com
Thank you for your help.
Dave

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 151
Dave,
OK, this confirms the idea that the green remote socket on the CD5 console has broken loose from the PC board. I will send you the service manual and it contains the information regarding the opening of the console. The bottom board is the main board and you will have to remove it to get to the socket connections. Re-solder the connections and you should be good to go.

Mark B.

Username: Bowen71

I have a Lifestyle 28 and its starting to POP and Crack also the sound gets jumbled. No matter what you play and what output. it plays well for about an 20 min. then it acts up unplug it for 3 min and it will work fine again. What can it be?

Username: Lax

Mark,

This posting might be a bit off but I have a problem with my Bose 321 GS with graphite speakers system.

The DVD tray got stuck and I got it repaired but then I accidentally plugged the AM into a 220 V supply (moved to London from US).

Can you send me instructions on how to open this particular AM system and identify which components are likely to be affected in the AM - power supply, amplifier, fuse and transformer? Or could the problem be that the repaired DVD tray just didnt work in the first place and if so, how do I test if the DVD player itself is working or not?

If you think discussing Bose 321 GS issues in this forum is not appropriate, kindly reply to the email I sent you directly. Thanks for your help.

Username: Blackonblack

New York, NY USA

Thanks for the help mark, although i never received the bulletin u sent; could u resend or post it on this board? (re extremely loud popping noise)

Thanks!!!
Simon

Post Number: 6
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your help and sent CD5 service manual with an information.
Thanks.

Dave

Username: Your_mom

Hi Mark,

I've been digging in all the previous posts relating to the AM 800P sub system.
I'm not sure which system this came with.
I'm trying to use it as just a sub for my system with no satellites connected. I do have a cable that came with it, it has red/white RCA, black female RCA, and stereo 3.5mm plug. I've seen diagram in my search for how to power up the 'on' by using 12v supply. but the diagram I've seen TC55044-01-4011 refers to pin 7 turn on, pin 3 ground, pin 13 +12v.
The person I got it from told me his console was stolen along with the cable.
with the various Bose models, he ordered this from Bose, so I would assume it is good. However in diagram I found does not list/show sub connector. Is this the right diagram to follow? I've opened cab and all components look perfect, nothing visibly fried.
I've used external amp to load sub woofer and it works fine.
My dilemma is this,
1 the cable provided, is the female RCA for sub in from my non powered sub out?
2 does the 12v supply connect to the mini middle and end to get the 'on' or is there something else required?
Hope this all makes sense to you.
Thank you for your time.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 152
Paul,

You are correct that pin 7 is the turn on supply pin (+10V not 12) and pin 3 is ground. Pin 1 is the right channel input, pin 9 the left channel input and pin 5 is the reference pin for both channels. (gnd) The +10V turn on voltage is sourced by the middle ring of the mini plug and the ground reference is the shaft portion. The tip is used for serial data sent by the console to the sub to control mode and volume level. I really don't know how well that sub is going to do as a stand alone subwoofer but you can certainly try it. Just run your sub out from your receiver into either the right or left channel and use the mini plug as the turn-on control for the sub. You may disregard all the other pins as they would not be needed. I don't know how well you'll fare without a method of controlling the volume except for the signal level reaching the sub from your receiver. DO NOT use the female RCA for anything. Email me and I will send you all the diagrams you will need to see what's going on.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 153
Simon,

I cannot post the bulletin to the board because the file size is too large. I have resent it to your hotmail address. Let me know if you don't receive it again. It is a 3.16 Meg pdf file.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 154
J Bowen,

An LS28 system is not a candidate for DIY repair especially with the type of complaint you have. For $165 you can send both parts of the system to Bose and they will repair it, update all the software and warranty it for a year I believe. Believe me, you don't want to venture into the insides of either the console or the subwoofer. Take the Bose route and be safe.

Mark B.

Username: Tom920

Shreveport, LA USA

Hello all! New here but already appreciate the knowledge being shared.

System details:
Bose Lifestyle 12 Series II
Model 5 Music Center
AM25II sub

Problem: CD can be heard from the headphone jack but no sound from any of the speakers (just a static noise if held to the ear).

I read an earlier post about checking the 27 ohm resistor at R428 for this type of problem. Resistor tested with meter was 27.2 ohms. Looks ok. Solder connections on control socket look good. Continuity in cable from music center to AM25II checks ok for control wire. Fuse in sub is intact.
No visible signs of roasted parts either in sub or music center. Any other suggestions welcomed. Thank You!

Username: Rik55

I have 2 lifestyle 20 systems. The little delrin gear for the cd changer broke on both units (cracked). I cannot afford the Bose repair charges and can exchange the part myself which I already did on one system using an old system I bought on Ebay.

Is there anywhere I can just purchase the gear? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 155
Rik,
Unfortunately there is no source for that gear. That's why Bose repair is so expensive. They replace the entire mechanism just for that stupid gear. I have repaired 100's of those mechs by grinding down the motor shaft slightly using a dremel tool and then using a tiny drop of superglue to reattach the gear. The slight grinding is done so the gear won't expand when fitted to the shaft. If the gear expands it will bind where the split is. In some cases it is possible to slide the gear forward (without any grinding) so it engages the the larger gear without binding. Try that first and if it doesn't bind, apply a tiny drop of superglue to the end of the shaft where the gear's smooth face is. DO NOT GET ANY GLUE ON THE GEAR TEETH OR THE MOTOR SHAFT NEAR THE MOTOR! Other than these remedies there is no choice but to go the Bose route or the one you've already taken with the first one.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 156
Tommy,
From your description the sub is no doubt turning on but not processing the signals. Your AM25PII is suffering from the bad crystal syndrome. CR400 is a 40Mhz crystal and they are notorious for overclocking at over 60Mhz. It will need to be replaced. Email me and I will send you the bulletin referencing this malady and if I can find them I will also mail you a replacement crystal and how to replace it.

Mark B.

Username: Your_mom

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your assistance.
Sorry I don't have your e address.
If you could send the info to my e.
paul.lostinmontreal@gmail.com
I'll let you know how it goes with my testing. Again, thank you for your help.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 157
Simon, Paul and Tommy...

I have sent you the stuff you need. I hope everyone got the correct materials. Let me know.

Mark B.

Username: Rik55

Thank you Mark,

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Was able to get the gear to hold and function without any grinding. All systems go!

Have a "96 model 5 with no display. Will try the 33ufd @50v.

Thank you for your wisdom and time!

May He richly bless you!

Rik

Username: Jacqui

Atlanta, GA USA

Mark,
I have a Lifestyle 25 System and the magazine for the cd's is stuck. Bose says 255 to fix is there anyway I can do this myself.
Thanks,
Jacqui

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 158
Jaqui,

If you will go up 5 posts and read my post to Rik you will see what is entailed in repairing that CD20 and why Bose wants an arm and a leg to repair it. If you will email me I will, by return email, send you a copy of the service manual which contains the instructions on how to open the console and where to look for the culprit of your malady. If you are very careful in this endeavor then your console will again work fine. My email address is in my profile.

Mark B.

Username: Badatred

Hi Everyone
I did a really smart thing - plugged in my 110V Acoustimass 10 - Series III into 220V outlet.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed DIY. Did this kill a replaceable fuse?

I am quite happy to open this thing up, but don´t want to go too far...
Thank for your support in advance.
Marc}

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 159
Marc,

If you're lucky then all you did is blow the fuse. There may be other things i.e. the photocoupler and the triac that may have been damaged. There is also a small transformer and two dual diodes that produce +/- 12V for the turn on circuit. More than likely this is damaged but you can alway hope. You will have to open the beast to gain access to the fuse. It will indeed be toast. If nothing else appears to blown to bits then replace it with a fuse of lower current for a test. The fuse in it now should be a 3.15 amp so replace just for testing purposes with a 1.5 amp. If the replaced fuse goes poof then you have other problems. If not and everything seems OK, check to see if you indeed have the +12V and -12V supplies. If these check OK then replace the fuse with the correct value cross your fingers and fire that puppy up.

Now you ask, "what and where do I check for this stuff?" Email me and I will get the documentation and schematics to you via return email. If you're not comfortable with electronics then enlist help from someone who is. Safety first, I don't want anyone out there getting zapped!

Mark B.

Username: Badatred

Mark
you are incredible - many thanks for the response! Very much appreciated.

If you can send me the schematics would be great. My mail marc AT haberland DOT com.

And yes, quite comfortable with electronics!
All the best and thanks again.

Marc

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 160
Just a note to everyone....
I will be on off-line for about a week starting Thursday, March 5. Going up to Virginia so see my 2nd grandbaby born, my daughter's first.

Mark B. 8^)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11688
Mark, congratulations!
I hope mother and child are doing well, and I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip.

Username: Jacqui

Atlanta, GA USA

Mark,
Thanks for your help. My son came over and he was able to take it to a friend to fix it. Yes I am in Atlanta so if I need your help again I will certainly call on you. Sorry it took so long to respond, but started work on Monday and was really busy. I don t see your email address in your profile. So if you want to send me a note mine is there.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 161
Jacqui,
I didn't see your email address on your profile only the "send a private email" bit. My email address is posted several times on this forum but I'll give it again here.

mr3dzpop@bellsouth.net

I am off in the morning to Virginia to see my daughter and her brand new baby. Born 03/04/2009... 6 lbs, 11oz of bubbly baby boy. I haven't been this excited since her mom delivered her. 8^)

Username: Cosimino71

Tuglie, Lecce ITALIA

Hello Mark is new member of this forum is Italian for this will my English not be perfect. I have sub acoustimass 9 that I would want to connect to an amplifier kenwood, I have seen on the others post the connections to make. My cable to 8 pin in and aut has 1 rca red 1 rca white man and 1 jack from 3,5. That feeding I must put on the jack in order to ignite the sub.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 162
Falco,
OK, you will be needing the schematics, the layouts and the the service manual to do what you wish to do. The hookup is not so difficult but you are going to have to make some internal hookups in order to get any sound out of the AM9. Since you're not using a CD5 console there will be no serial data being sent to the sub and without that, all volume IC's will be at minimum volume and all the amps will be muted. I will send the information to your msn email address and direct you to page 28 of the service manual for instructions on how to put the AM9 in a test mode which will allow you to use the volume control on your Kenwood as the master. You will not however have individual control over the center and surround volume except for test configuration. I suggest that you use test 'D' setup and try out the system. As far as firing up the sub, connect the white RCA to your left preamp output and the red RCA to the right preamp output. Use the 3.5mm miniplug, center ring +10V and the shaft as ground. Applying 10V will turn on the sub. The tip of the plug is not used since you are not sending serial data to the sub. If you have any questions then you can email me direct using my email address from my email to you containing all the pdf files.

Mark B.

Username: Tom2008

Lexington, MA USA

Hi Mark,
I have been reading your posts for sometime and they are very helpful.I need some help with schematic for lifestyle 25 powered subwoofer. serial # AM250AU124021. I want to do two things on this subwoofer. first, the bass nob is not working, I want to fix it. And secondly, I want to replace the micro controller, so it can work with other receivers. I guess the micro controller(St6225) sends serial data to TC9213P(s) to control the volume. Thank you in advance.

Username: Wadavies

Post Number: 7
hi Mark-good to see you are back and a proud grandfather!
I have an AM25 Series11 subwoofer which came from the US and operates on a step down transformer.
Like Lynette (30 January 2009) I contacted Bose Australia about replacing the power supply board and they advise the charge is now A$1000 down from A$1600 in January.
I rang Bose USA last night asking for a universal power board (115/230VAC) but was advised they are unavailable-the implication being old model thus no parts.
I could try emailing them but do you have any suggestions?For example a part number for the universal power board?
Could i also ask for the schematics for the AM25Series11 in case I hit paydirt?
Thanks again

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 163
Tom,

You are biting off more than you can chew! The ST6225M6 is an OTP (One Time Programmable) 8-bit MCU. I don't know if you can read the contents of the 3884 bytes programmed or not. While there is an EEPROM on the PC board also, it is only used to store configuration data. This MCU runs the whole show so you'd be hard pressed to do anything without documentation and emulation software as well as a programmer to write the code. There are EPROM versions of this processor but you would still have to have the original code and then modify from there. I have no idea what your level of expertise is but this is not for the novice by any means. If you're looking for online datasheets for this processor then use ST6515 as a search number. The ST6225 is the same processor with more EPROM space.

As far as the bass control is concered, chances are that the leads are broken at the pot itself. This should be relatively easy to rectify. Email me at mr3dzpop@bellsouth.net and I will get the schematics and service manual to you. Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 164
Warren,

Check your email dude! Everything you need is there!

Mark B.

Lexington, MA USA

Mark,
Thanks for your help. I am impressed by your expertise in analog and digital circuitry. You are the king here. I know it is not an easy job to replace ST6225 with something else to control everything in AM25, as you pointed out that no source code is available. But I really don't like the way that BOSE sub can't be used with other receivers. I beleive a lot of people suffer from this. But it is very straight forward to control the TC9213 with any micro controller, one serial data, clock and strobe line will do it. But so far, I need to understand what other functionalities the micro provides.
Tom

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 165
Tom,

The AM25P can be used with other receivers if that is what you wish to do. There is a way to internally configure the sub so the TC9213's are at either full on or at Right front/Left front -40db and center and surround at -6db with all amps unmuted. In this mode you simply use the main volume control of your receiver to control the output. If you're only wanting to use the sub as a sub then the setup is very simple. This arrangement of course does not give you separate control over the respective outputs but if used as a sub only it does quite well. Again, email me and I'll send you the info and how to accomplish this without the processor route and all the hassle that would entail.

Mark

Username: Fyanesv

Valencia, Carabobo Venezuela

Hi everyone!!
Hi Mark,

Have a Lifestyle 18 Series II model, this unit was working fine for about 4 years, recently the unit has no audio, I checked all cables and appears fine, checked pins for the acoustic to media cable ok too, checked the fuse on the acoustic and its fine... ahh tried the 1 minute disconnect and reconnect also... Can you please tell me where is the LED (green amber) I'm missing that part you talk about with Alberto????, Thanks in advance... Appreciate any suggestions...

FAYA

Lecce ITALIA

Hi Mark the sub what perfectly works thanks to your indications must make in order to qualify the other escapes (front/rear/center) with to the sub. Which contacts on the pcb I must connect in this moment I have connected (ground+test 3) and works alone the sub.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 166
Falco,

Glad to hear it working out for you. Connect the GND to test 1 to get all the channels working at 0db and mutes off. Hope this works out for you.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 167
Fernando,

The LED's in question are very small and are located near where the CAT5 cable plugs into the sub. They are mounted on a board and you can only see the very tips of them from your outside vantage point. Let me know after you've ascertained the status of the LED's.

Mark B.

Username: Fyanesv

Valencia, Carabobo Venezuela

Mark,

Thanks man, your reputation speaks for itself, I did found what looks like a LED for all of us that are not very into electronics, and no it does not lights up at all, which means and I think i will save you the trouble of giving me the bad news, must take it to service, I'm guessing power supply!!!. by the way, if you think there is a slight possibility that some black magic will help please let me know.... Lol...

Thanks for your invaluable time and assistance.

Best regards,

Fernando...

Lecce ITALIA

Post Number: 4
Mark
Thanks but the connection (Ground+Test3) I must detach or must be connected all and two in order to work.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 168
Falco,

Sorry about that, I guess that wasn't very clear was it? Remove the jumper from test 3 tie point and connect it to test 1. Again I apologize for my undersight.

Mark B.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 169
Fernando,

Yes, I'm afraid without any lights something is definitely going on with the subwoofer. I would suggest packing up both the sub and the console since they will fix and update both for the same price as repairing the sub only. As you may have read in other posts to folks with these LS18's, 28's and 38's, it is not a good DIY candidate. High voltage power supply and parts difficult to obtain except from Bose. I think their flat rate for these systems is $165.00

Mark B.

Lecce ITALIA

Mark
But the volume of the sub making connection (ground+test 1) will turn out lower regarding or and before equal. In this case the volume (bass) of the module sub does not work? The volume master is commant from my amplifier.
Thanks.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 170
Falco,
Here is a list of the test modes and result of entering each. The original setting I sent you was mode E, the last setting was mode B, Try D and see if this doesn't do want you want. This information is on page 28 of the service manual I sent you.

Mark B.

MODE TEST 3 TEST 2 TEST1 Condition (L=Left, R=Right, C=Center, S=Surround)
A Open Open Open Normal (Customer) Mode Operation
B Open Open GND U8, U9, U12 at full on (0 dB), Power Amps Unmuted
C Open GND Open U8, U9, U12 at full on (-80 dB), Power Amps Unmuted
D Open GND GND U9 (L,R) at -40 dB, U12(C,S) at -6 dB, Amps Unmuted
E GND Open Open U9 (L,R) at 0 dB, U12(C,S) Off, Amps Unmuted
F GND Open GND U8, U9, U12 at Full On Power Amps Unmuted

Username: Rm0202

MelbourneAustralia

HI everyone,

Looking for some help regards Lifestyle 18 Series 1. The base unit is not receiving any power. No leds are blinking. It is an Aust. unit which has been working fine for around 4 years, then suddenly stopped. Have been quoted $400 to replace power board in the PS18 unit.
Is it likely that it could just be a fuse?
Would would course this to happen? I don't won't to fix it and only to find out it happens again.
Would a PS28 unit work with the 18's cube speakers? There is on on ebay.

Thanks for any feed back.

Russ

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 171
Russ,
It's not very likely that just a fuse went out in that unit but then you never know. As far as replacing the power board, who's going to do this as opposed to repairing what you have?
As to your other question, yes, the PS28 system uses dual cubes and the PS18 has singles but the subs are virtually identicle.

Username: Rm0202

MelbourneAustralia

Thanks for getting back so fast Mark. Repair from the authorised bose repair here on the Gold Coast QLD AUST. I rang and checked they have stated that the whole power supply board needs replacing, and that can not repair what's there.
Regarding PS28, bose support have said that the eq programs are different and the sound through the single cubes will not be correct. Is this true?

Lexington, MA USA

Post Number: 6
Hi Russell,
I guess Mark means the hardware(switching power supply) is the same, and you can replace them.

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 172
Russell,
I have no idea how QLD AUST Bose repair service operates. Just going by what I used to do which was... FIX the board, didn't have the luxury of simply slapping a new board in.
As far as Bose comments regarding the different eq's for the subs, they are correct BUT it can be changed to any of three; singleshot, doubleshot or jewelcubes via the RJ45 input and a home computer. Though I've never done it you can also create your own user eq. All this is explained in the operators manual for the three systems. PS18,28,48. As long as you have an avenue to Bose support, call and verify this ability and see what they say. They may even have the adaptor necessary to do the hookup.
Mark B.

Username: Tomttom

Mark,

I want to control the MRI (Multi Room Interface ) of my Lifestyle 50 sytem over the serial port. I'm partly aware of the communication protocol (setting the volume, change the disk and skip/play/pause the CD, etc.) But I miss some commands, like changing preset channels on the radio, etc. I also would be happy to parse the data coming from the MRI and be able to display the volume level, currently playing track no, etc on a third party system. Don't you have a detailed protocol description? Or at least could you let me know the preset commands for the radio and the meaning of bytes the MRI sends?

Another question:
I would like to extend my setup to more rooms and need to know the pinouts of the four 8 pin mini DINs on the MRI for the zone outputs. I wonder what pins are used for the GND of the left/right channel signals? As far as I see the factory cable (that goes to the AM20) is connected the following way: the left GND is connected to PIN5 (yous said earlier it is for room sensing), the right GND is to the metal chassis. Does that mean that the signal GNDs are connected to the plug chassis in the MRI?
Besides there are two pins for each channels (1&3 for left and 2&4 for the right). Am I right supposing that 1&2 are the varied level and 3&4 are the fixed level outs?

Thanks,

Tom

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 173
Tom,

Tall order here for sure. I can provide you with a good deal of information but as far as the communication protocol you are out of luck. I don't have it or know it nor will BOSE provide it in any way. You will need to contact me by email so I can get what I have to you.

I'm curious as to where you're intercepting these command lines. Are we talking about the MRI or the PMC remote control? The P(ersonal)M(usic)C(enter) is doing all the data sending via an RDL (radio data link) and the MRI returns data to the PMC via this same radio link. The MRI also sends data to BOSE systems or subs via the Mini DIN plugs, data to its internal tuner, data to the CD player, input function selectors and room volume controls.

I will send you the schematics that will help you see what's going on with the 9 Pin DINs. Pins 1&3 are common to each other as are 2&4 and they are post volume control in the MRI. Pins 8&9 are common and represent signal ground for the Right and left signals. Pin 6 is the enable (turn on) line for each room, Pin 7 carries speaker data to the connected system if applicable and of course Pin 5 is the Room sense line. For room sense to operate correctly you MUST use a MRI compatible cable. There is a short between pin 5 and shield ground of the cable. When the cable is plugged into ROOM A,B,C or D din output and also connected to a Bose sub the shield connection becomes common with signal ground, and the binary weighted sense line is interperted by the uProcessor in the MRI. Room A is weighted 1, B 2, C 4 and D 8. I'm getting carried away here. Email me with any questions you still have and I will, by return email, get this information to you. You're diving into some deep waters here. 8^)

Mark B.

Username: Rajm

Port-louisMauritius

Hi Mark.
I have read the thread of mails ,it looks impressive how much help and support you are providing ,You are really great.
I have faced my only problem with bose lifestyle 12 bought from Singapore in nov 1995,from atlas private ltd.After 14 years ,last night i was listening to the radio fm on the system when the sound was not coming well so i look at the antenna at the back and see it was ok,,after 5 mins the sound started to fade until no sound was heard ,however the music centre is ok,the remote control also is fine,and the display on the system is also ok,but i guess the bass module is not working ,i check power cord,seems ok,but could not see anything lighted in the bass module,I have check with local dealer in Mauritius, who told me they are so busy ,but come back in 2 weeks time,as i cannot afford this leisure which deprive me and the family of our best hobby i am now reverting to you for help.pl tell me how to open the bass module and how to lacate the issue thanks for your prompt response my email address is rajmandary@intnet.mu...best regards}}}

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 174
Raj,
I have sent a manual to your email address. In case you don't receive it, I need to know which Lifestyle system you have. Is it a series one (CD5V & AM9P) or a series II (CD5V2 & AM25P II)? Let me know and I will try to help you out.

Mark B.

Username: Rajm

Port-louisMauritius

Hi Mark,
yes i have received the mail and review the manual also .The model is lifestyle 12 AMP9,.I am trying to locate the screws at the back of the subwoofer ,but could not see any,pl help on how to proceed .I n the meantime how can i really confirm that the console is fine ,inspite of the fact that the display is ok and works fine with the remote control,except as mentioned before -NO SOUND COMING FROM THE BASS MODULE AND THE SPEAKERS.
Awaiting your support
raj

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 175
Raj,
OK, no big problem here. I see from your original post that your AM9P was made prior to 1996 and will not have the screws. There is a note to this effect where the manual directs you to remove them. Next, on the opposite side, away from the AC socket, DIN socket and the speaker outputs; in the gap between the cover your trying to remove and the sub box itself, are the goodies you need to find. In the center of that gap there is a cover latch folded in so only the teeth show. With a thin flathead screw driver, place the blade between two teeth and pull from left to right. This should cause the lever to swing out. Make sure it is completely out (move it out until it won't move anymore.) Now the tricky part, on either side, near the corners of the gap, there are small tabs that are keeping the top from sliding. Use the screw driver and pull these tabs down and then tap the cover with a balled fist in the direction of the inputs/outputs. Do one side at a time and the cover should eventually slide in the direction you're hitting it. It then can be lifted off. See page 23, fig-15 for the location of the latch and the tabs.

Once inside, check the fuse. It is located on the top of the pc board (which is mounted upside down). I have emailed the schematics to you so you will have something to go by. The manual I sent is correct for the model you have.

Mark B.

Username: Papahawk

Bemus Point, New York USA

Mark,
I have a lifestyle 5 with the display not lighting. I did find a 22 uf 50v cap &47uf 35v cap at a radio shack. Will either one of these work?
Thanks
Chris

Silver Member

Woodstock, Georgia USA

Post Number: 176
Chris,

Get two of the 22ufd and parallel them. You can mount one on top and the other on the bottom. One would work but the display might be dim. Do NOT use the 35VDC cap regardless of the value. It will fail in short order. Make sure you observe the correct polarity on the caps.

Mark B.

Username: Fjrules

Hi All,
I have been following this trhead (among others) and now I have a problem of my own with a LS28 subwoofer!
It is named PS28/48.
I have prevoiosly resoldered the crystal (only yellow LED light) and it has worked perfectly for 4 years. Now there is no sound at all. I have checked to see if the crystal were loose, checked all cableing etc and all seems to be OK. My big questions now is: Can it be the cystal that is defect? We have measured the circuit board and found that it seems like the board is "restarting" constantly. Only once we we able to retrieve a green LED flash which only occured three or four times!
Every thing seems be in order, the powersupply is working, the cables are OK, no resistors burned etc. SO please if anyone can help???

Thanks...Brian

Username: Edgaraul869

Pacoima, California USA

Hi Mark can you please help on how to fix my bose acoustimas 10 series 111 its make a intermitent huumming noise Please help or anyone.

Username: Bbowen

I am looking for assistance with with cable pin outs between a lifestyle 28 control unit and a acoustimas 9 base module.

I have an acoustimas 9 base module that works fine with my bose lifestyle 20 control head but I purchased a lifestayle 28 control unit and DVD player and using the same cable it will not work. Are the cable pinouts different for the lifestyle 20 and 28 control unit?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us