Looking For Rear Speakers, Canada.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2056
I'm looking for some options for rear surround speakers for my home audio.

Preferable bipole/dipole (looking for bipole) and perhaps something that I could order online or from a trusted company....too many shady online dealers

The only options in town are Energy $800 and polk $500 (prices are for a pair) The 1st set up I owned was Polk and I hated the sound and the Energy speakers are out of my price range.

Does anyone know of trusted sites that I can order from?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 245
If you want to order online then Axiom comes to mind. I'd say you'd want to match your other speakers (same brand, maybe even same line) but rear surrounds are less important in that regard.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs4.html

Some people like Axiom, some don't. I personally have never heard one of their speakers. They are purported to be bright. However, the company is based in Canada and I'm almost certain you have a trial period and if you don't like the speaker you can ship it back and get your money back (presumably you are on the hook for shipping however). Might be an option for you.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2057
Thank you, that's a great start and those speakers "look" half decent and around $500 is the most I would be comfortable spending.

I don't have anything crazy in my setup as I have fluance Es1 towers and center (7.1 Pioneer 120w per channel receiver) and have been very happy with them so far as they are worlds better than my old polks...lol I had rear Fluance speakers ordered but they have been on hold for 9 months now so I NEED rears!

Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 251
No problem, let us know how it goes if you opt for Axiom. Although there probably is only so much you can tell from surrounds. I've always wanted to try their PC speakers.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2058
Awesome,

The only other question I have is what is the average size room that 7.1 would stand out more than 5.1? My room is about 12f wide and 13 and 15 feet long almost L shaped.........I'm thinking side speakers would be a waste of $$ in that small of an area....?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2224
7.1 gives you rear speakers, not side speakers. Side speakers are present in a 5.1 configuration, although some people have been known to put them in the back.

The room is too small for 7.1 if the speakers ends up too close to people.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 503
HSU Research makes a lineup called 'Ventriloquist'.
Heard them briefly as I auditioned a sub.
Not bad at all. Not expensive at all, either.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3017
7.1 will be overkill in your room. My room is pretty much the same dimensions and 5.1 suits me just fine.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2059
Thanks David, I figured as much :/

I went ahead and ordered a set of the Axiom's QS8 from the factory outlet (10% off) for myself and a set for my dad as he was looking as well so I can not wait for them to arrive!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3022
Cool! I've always been curious about those speakers.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2067
Well after having my Axioms hooked up now for about few weeks I must say I am VERy impressed them.

Due to the shape of my living room I have one speaker (side left) on the rear of the listening area wheras my side right is off to the side. The speakers are also mucho off axis, about a foot in right from side to side again, due to the weird shape and layout of my living room.

I am veryimpressed at the immersion these speakers provide me in my curret set up as in most movies and scenes you can not tel where the speakers are and a few times I've looked off to the side where it sounds like the audio is coming from. I used to have Polk all around but I was very upset with the sound they provided and I listened to Energy and Polk in town anf again the Polk did nothign for me and the Energy spekaers would have been $1000cdn.

Axiom ~$560 shipped to my door......hrmmmm

My dad hooked his up Axioms (Same model as mine) and his are acting as rears rather than sides in his 6.1 set up and he loves them to death and is looking to Axiom for his next upgrades. He replaced his Bose rears and is not looking back.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3170
Cool Mike. Good to hear!

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2068
I also can not type or spell being at work and all...lol

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3171
Dude, it's almost 7:00. What are you still doing at work?

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2069
3:45pm in BC :-)

Usually work till 5pm but I get off @ 4 today so thats awesome in its own right.

I just don't have firefox to assist my sub par speedtyping capabilities...lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us