Advice on AE1 MkIII speakers

Username: Jas78

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I am considering to get the AE1 MkIII speakers, however, I have a few doubts/concerns that I hope you can help me to solve.

1.-I compared them aginst the AE1 MkIII SE version and I honestly was not able to see a difference that justifies 30-40% more the cost. I would like to know someone else's opinion about it.

2.-I have not been able to compare them against larger speakers of the same price. Could you please let me know up to what extent am I paying for the compact size of the AE1 ?

3.-Amplifiers. Currently I have an outlaw combo: pre/processor 990, pow amp 7125. I would like to know if, based on your experience, these amp should handle the AE1 nicely, or if I should upgrade it as well.

I really appreciate your help and time on this.

Regards.

Josep.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2996
I'm not familiar with AE speakers, but the Outlaw amp is no slouch. I suspect the combination would be just fine.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13368
Here is 6moons take on the AE

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ae/ae1_2.html

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13369
Josep, are you using the 7 channel Outlaw amp for stereo only?
If so,you can bi-amp a stereo pair pretty easily, so maybe think about that when looking at speakers.

Username: Jas78

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the posts.

Nuck. I currently have AE505 as front speakers, and Aegos neo 1 centre speaker. Since I am very happy with AE sound I wanted to upgrade to AE1 MkIII and temporary put the AE505 as rear speakers. So although I love music, I want to go also into the multi-channel world for movies.

Since we are speaking of a considerable amount of money to spend, I wanted to make sure this was the right decision, without the need of upgrading my amplifier either. For instance, I saw the Spendor S8e (larger speakers) for a similar price but I have not been able to compare them. So I am not sure if anyone here has been in a similar dilema before.

Thanks so much for your help.

Josep.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2997
Good point Nuck. Even if you're using the 7125 for HT, if you have a 5.1 setup, you can use the two extra channels to bi-amp the AE's.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3461
I briefly heard AEs and was impressed by what they did for what they charge.

I don't think they're difficult at all. They were powered by an Arcam Solo and an at the time entry level integrated amp.

If you heard no difference between the the speakers, it may be due to a few things - the rest of the system wasn't good enough to pass on a better signal, the room sucked, or the recording quality sucked. If none of the above are true, then don't spend the extra cash. There's no point in spending extra money for nothing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us