How to hook up two sets of sound systems?

Username: Bananazebra

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I know very little about sound systems, so please bear with my poor explanations.
My friend and I have two sound systems: one has an amp, a subwoofer, four speakers that connect with speaker wire, and one speaker that connects wirelessly; the other has a single amp/subwoofer and two speakers that connect with speaker wire. Is there any way that we could hook up both of the systems together?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Jake

P.S. Just a little more information about the systems, in case you need it: the subwoofer in the first system has two sets of RCA connections and two sets of speaker wire connections, but I'm not sure about the amp in the first system; the amp/subwoofer in the second system also has two sets of RCA connections and two sets of speaker wires.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13317
Thats a lot of stuff, Jake, but you name 2 amps and no source of music, nor what you want to achieve.

Post Number: 2
The source of music would be an Ipod. It would connect to the RCA on one of the amps. I want to achieve the loudest music possible.

Thanks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13318
Check the specs and use the speakers with the higher sensitivity. If the sub is a powered one, use that.
Check the input sensitivity of each amp to see which is lower, and compare that to the voltage out from the ipod, which I assume is your volume control.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the response Nuck. I guess my real question is how to connect the two systems together?

Jake

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13319
You dont, jake.
Things are made to work a certain way.
When you start plugging in wires and cables without knowing basic connectivity, stuff just blows up.

Trust me, I have blown stuff up.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2951
Sometimes not even on purpose....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13325
Just your amp, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2954
Haha.

I guess I'm not one to talk, since I have been known to blow up Totems while trying out new gear.

Not yours, though. Yet.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 810
Throw a bit of fire in there too..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13329
Yikes!

Username: Wireos

Post Number: 2
If your source of music is an iPod, then why dont you opt for an iPod dock and connect all the speakers through the dock. Meanwhile you say that you have a wireless speaker also. So an iPod Dock should work out fine.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13919

"Question of the Month: Connecting Two Amps to the Same Speakers";
http://us.mc810.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.partner=sbc&.gx=0&.tm=1253291631&.ran d=cp37pd6iensp9#tech

Username: Jujuwiz

Post Number: 1
I've got about as much know-how (less, actually) as this asker and I'm about to give up for fear of blowing myself up, but I thought I'd see if I was overlooking something simple.

I got some free speakers from a friend (no idea what kind, sorry), and I'm trying to connect them to my dinky cd player (a Crosley Musician Entertainment Center). I got a stereo wire/RCA connector from the store, switched to the 'input' source in the back, hooked 'em up, it all seems straightforward, but it ain't working. I can hear the music faintly coming from the speakers, but the turning the volume up and down on the Crosley doesn't do a thing, one way or the other.

Am I missing something simple? I don't need a separate amplifier, do I? Should I just throw in the towel and call someone?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13944

The Crosley has no speaker outputs. You are very likely connecting the speaker cables to a line level output (or possibly an input).

An amplifier won't help since you have no way to pull the signal from the Crosley. The Crosley is what it is and that's all it ever will be.

Buy an inexpensive receiver, Best Buy sells an Insignia for something like $89 on sale. Pair this with a stand alone CD player and you'll have a basic system.

Username: Wireos

Post Number: 3
Is it possible to connect two amps to one speaker. ?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14280

Not if you want the amplifiers to work afterwards. You'll need a switch with a center null position so the amplifiers do not see each other. I believe such switches are not difficult to find nowdays, you might try Audio Advisor. This allows one amplifier to operate the speakers while the other sits dormant. If you're trying to get higher wattage by connecting two amplifiers at once, it doesn't work.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us