Speakers that ROCK?

rocks911
I'm in the market for a new set of speakers. I own the HK AVR7000 and am looking for a 5 speaker package that I can use for HT but also that I can use to rock.
While I do on occasion listen to more subdued music like Steely Dan I often like to rock the house with Tool.
I guess you could say I'm not an audiophile but have always loved listening to music and now HT adds a new dimension but I need a speaker set that will work well for both.
Klipsch maybe?

G-Man
It depends on your budget and also your room size. Do you prefer lively and loud listening to maybe less loud and more accurate? The reason I ask is that to get speakers that play both very loud and very accurate are usually fairly expensive---but you can get very loud and not as smooth a frequency response in speakers for considerably less. Klipsch speakers may well fall in the latter category on some of their models. They are generally very lively. My advice is to get a good self-powered subwoofer, as it seems your music tastes demand a sizable bottom end. Probably get at least a HSU VTF-2 subwoofer, unless your room is very large. A less expensive subwoofer (the PSB subsonic 5) can be had at around $350, it plays very smoothly, but not quite as loudly as the HSU VTF-2 ($499).

Then you can probably save some money on lively bookshelf speakers that can play from 60hz on up, while letting the self-powered subwoofer handle the gruntwork from 80hz on down. Just make sure you get efficient speakers that can play loudly without breaking up. By the way, what amplification (or receiver) are you using?

rocks911
G-Man,
Thanks for the post. My power source is the Harman Kardon AVR700 receiver with 100 watts per channel x5
I have a Velodyn sub that does quite well at the bottom end. Room size is about 30' x 20'.
I've got a decent pair of bookshelf/surround speakers so my primary concern are the main speakers and the center channel speaker. I want them to be more balanced than my present setup. And yes I run more to the loud than the smooth. I'm looking for some really efficient speakers.

Well I'm at the fire house and paperwork calls so gotta go for now, have a good one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us