Need help picking my Subwoofer

Bronze Member
Username: Rahul

Post Number: 11
Please help me choose out of the following 4 subwoofers. I am looking to place this in my large living room (30X25X12). I don't like boomy sound, I will use the sub for 60% Home theater and 40% listening to my CD collection. So it needs to be very tight and musical too.

1. Paradigm Servo-15 V2
2. SVS PB13-Ultra
3. Velodyne DD15
4. MartinLogan Depth i

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 473
I'll look up cost later, but in general you'd be best served in a room of 9000ft/3 by a pair of subs, not a singleton.
Investing time/money in tuning up the room will also yield dividends.
What gear will you mate the sub with? Are you thinking HT or a 2ch system?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13169
RS, have you looked at JL Audio subs?

One will do...

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10521
Those are some fabulous subs you are looking at. As Nuck pointed out the JL should be on that list as well.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 474
Sorry, guys, Must Respectfully disagree.

The room is HUGE, at 9000' cubed.
While any of those listed and your additions can and will probably excite that huge a space, for the sake of standing waves / evenness of response, I'd still go with a pair. A pair for 1500$ each, or the HSU offerings in this catagory: please see link.
I am, as always, available to test 'em for you, since I am only 60miles from HSU HQ.

www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15dualdrive.html

A pair for 2500$ with Balanced inputs...and it looks like you can 'daisy chain' them, too.
Certainly a contender. They are also sealed, which should appeal to purists.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10525
Looks intrigueing Leo.

Bronze Member
Username: Rahul

Post Number: 12
I am just getting started to put the system together, have pair of Axiom M80 and my old Yamaha 2500 receiver. So in the market for in ceiling speakers for my surround, a decent center channel and may be Yamaha 3900.
Price is a factor for the sub, since I am not planning to spend more than $2500 on the sub. And that's why did not look at JL. And can't buy a pair from my list on my budget. But I guess I can get a pair of decent HSU for $2500.
Leo, thanks for the offer.
Do anyone have any experience from my list?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 476
Others will 'be along in a minute' to help.
My experience is limited to the HSU lineup.
I have a VTF2 mkIII which I picked up at HSU HQ up in Orange County, CA. It easily works into my 5000ft/cube room. This room is wacky and no way a regular shape, which helps much. HSU has forgotten more about subs than most people know.

The HSU UL series is sealed and uses a new, very powerful 'd' or 'bash' (Whatever that is) amp.
I expect them to be monsters unlike the ported series. Sealed have different characteristics than ported.....HELP HERE< PLEASE!

Are you a solo listener? If for HT (as I see in your original post) will there be a group?
2 different setup problems. To get a wide area for multiple listener/viewers you will need the 2x sub solution.
Please google 'room mode calculator' and enter your room dimensions while reading the accompanying article.
If you have further questions, I'll post a link to the Harman white paper on multisub setup.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1352
I would consider REL.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13201
Stentor 2 or a 3?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 806
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df.htm

2 of these?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13309
Beyond the typos in the ad site, and the rather androgeonous (sp) 5% distortion factor...

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 809
If I was on a budget, Id give them a chance. But I dont think thats Rahuls first priority.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us