Questions about Amps!

Username: Cigarjohn

Aliquippa, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
Truth or False? The bigger the amp in power, the better the music will sound with larger headroom.

I want to purchase my first McIntosh Amp. Either the MC 2105 (105 wps), MC 2125 (125 wps), MC 2205 (200 wps), MC 2255 (250 wps) or the MC 7270 (270 wps).

I will be using no seperate pre-amp and using my B&O Beomaster 5000 as a pre-amp. I will be using a pair of JBL Decade L36's rated at 50 watts.

So, even though I won't be using beyond 50 watts, will my music sound better with a bigger amp? Also, are any of these amps over-kill for me?

Peace!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13813

Watts alone do not equal quality.

Quality equals quality.

With the BeoMaster 5000/L36 combination, the new amplifier would be a BandAid that cannot begin to cover the wound.

You need to reassess your priorities and establish a budget.

Starting to upgrade this system, I would consider starting over. You have nothing that is truly worth putting in a contemporary music system. Desite the desire for and the quality of the Mac products, you could find more music in the totally new system that sells for not much more than the price of any of these amplifiers alone.

You don't mention a source player, I assume you are using some sort of B&O CD/phono system from the same time period as the 5000 (mid '80's).

Normally, the advice would be to replace the source first. In your case that would still leave you with the 25 year old B&O electronics and the 35 year old JBL's. Neither of which were renowned for their ability to play music well.

Upgrading speakers will only show the weaknesses of the remaining front end of the system.

Establish a budget and then head to the independent audio dealers with some familiar music in hand and ask for some advice from someone who can allow you to listen to what has happened in audio in the last three decades.

The Mac amp can always come later.

Post Number: 3
Confused?????

The world always rants & raves about the sound of vintage audio equipment. The new audio equipment of today sucks. Poor electronics. Like the phrase says, "They don't make it like that anymore"! My JBL's seem to sound good to me. Everyone's ears are definitely different. My B&O system seems to be o.k. for me. I just posted in here to find out about the McIntosh Sound everyone talks about and if different size amps will produce better sounds.

You want me to start from scratch? And to check out the new stuff on the market. What's wrong with the vintage stuff out there?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3410
I think you're focusing on the wrong details of what he was saying. His main system is vintage Mac and other stuff, so it wasn't a shot at vintage.

Nothing is wrong with vintage provided two conditions are met - It sounded good when new, and its up to spec.

IMO (and what I believe Jan was saying) the B&O and JBLs weren't very good in their heyday. That's an opinion of course, so take it as you will.

IMO, you won't get your money's worth with the Mac stuff unless you build up everything else around it. I'm not saying all at the same time. The pre-amp will pass along a sub par signal that the amp will amplify. What's the point in having a great amp amplify a bad signal? The amp can't correct anything, it can only try to amplify it as purely as it received it.

Even if the pre-amp and amp are great, they're only as good as the weakest link, which would then be the speakers.

I'm not trying to bash your gear. Everyone likes what they like and can buy whatever they like. I'd advise going to a hifi shop and listening to complete systems. A good salesperson will be able to help you identify what you like in your music and what products you'll probably prefer. Find a system within your budget and build it piece by piece if you have to.

That's my advice and opinions. Take 'em as you will.

About the watts... Mac is Mac. They sound very similar to each other. The vintage stuff doesn't sound that much different than the new stuff. More power may or may not be noticable. If your speakers are effecient, present and easy impedence load, and you're not expecting to fill a huge space with dance club volumes, you probably will never notice the difference between a 50 watt amp and a 1000 watt amp, provided they are more or less designed the same way.

Some companies use higher end technology and parts in their more powerful amps, making them sound better, but that's not because the increased power.

Post Number: 6
Thank your for your insight! I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm just new to the HI-Fi game and hear too many different opinions.

I have no real budget. Maybe up to $20,000.00. I guess I do more research and build a Mac system.

Thanks for your help.

Peace!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13816

"The world always rants & raves about the sound of vintage audio equipment. The new audio equipment of today sucks. Poor electronics. Like the phrase says, "They don't make it like that anymore"! My JBL's seem to sound good to me. Everyone's ears are definitely different. My B&O system seems to be o.k. for me. I just posted in here to find out about the McIntosh Sound everyone talks about and if different size amps will produce better sounds.

You want me to start from scratch? And to check out the new stuff on the market. What's wrong with the vintage stuff out there?"

The people in the know genuinely like '67 split window Corvettes with big block engines, '68 Jaguar XKE's and '74 911's.

The ranting and raving about '63 slant six Darts and 230 cid Novas from any vintage is of another sort.

The thing about "vintage" is there's a distinct difference between vintage and just plain old stuff. That even goes for McIntosh. If you don't truly know the difference, you could think that '78 Epiphone really is the same as a '57 Les Paul Gold Top.

The new audio equipment of today does not suck - not if you know what you are buying ... or more appropriately, what you are hearing.

I think the first question most people would ask after reading your response would be, "Why are you changing anything if all of what you have right now sounds OK to you?"

If you're still here and care to answer that question, I'll give you more information. If you're already off to the hifi shops, you'll find out what you need to know when you get there.

(Do keep in mind your B&O only outputs 55 watts.)

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2661
Good info from Jan and Stu here John. Going back to your vintage gear comment. I like Jan's car comparison. To add, a 74 Porche is an amazing vintage car, but nowhere comes close to comparison to a 2009 Porsche GT2. Get the idea here? The companies out there that were making great gear back in the day, are still making great gear these days for the most part, if not better. Old or New means nothing. The brand, company, and your ears mean everything.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13084
And old parts are old and worn out if they have not been replaced/serviced recently.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2667
Exactly.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2876
$20,000.00 budget? Holy crap man. I wish that sort of money to put toward a new system. I'm going to go on the assumption you're exaggerating here on how much you want to spend, I'm going to tell you that you don't need to spend that much on a McIntosh system (speaking from personal experience here) that sounds really, really good. That includes source, amp and speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 465
Hey! Jan, I kinda like the shoebox Nova!

And John, for 20 large you can and should take your time, listen to Jan's advice. You have the ear of someone vastly more experienced in the sales / evaluation end of things than you know. Sometimes a little abrupt, but always to point.

Re-evaluate your budget and find the sweet-spot for you. I'll bet you can do so for substantially less than your target amount.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13094
http://www.stereobarn.com/McIntosh%2060th%20Anniversary.htm

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1348
I dont think there is a point to giving the OP any advice as he is no longer a registered user.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2885
I guess anytime someone new comes around bragging they have 20k to spend we should probably view with some speculation.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 858
I guess anytime someone new comes around bragging they have 20k to spend we should probably view with some speculation.

Not if they're single.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13098

Bronze Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 23
The people in the know genuinely like '67 split window Corvettes with big block engines, '68 Jaguar XKE's and '74 911's.

Ahhh Jan .. the one & only split window was a 63 vintage ....

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13846

Exactly why the '67 version is so sought after by collectors.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13124
hehehe

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 469
I've got 20,000 to spend. In Pesos.

If I was going collectable Chevy, it wouldn't be a 'vette. I'd think about one of the Big Block Camaros from Nicky Chevrolet.....pure hormone/adrenaline.
Fast, dangerous and collectable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13130
COPO 427 Camaro from Lessinger in Missouri.
Unsafe at any speed, and attains those speeds in a wild, uncontrolled, ferocious, bite you in theass hurry.

Just add 8-track!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 471
I think there were a few dealers in 'dem days making 'boutique' semi-custom issues the factory simply didn't have the GUTS to make. And all from the standard parts bins.

8-track indeed! As long as it comes with 6x9, wizzer cone speakers, a pair on the rear deck and some other junk in the doors!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2091
Neil, Single meaning not divorced.

Any 1960-1962 Corvette would do for me.

That or the Chevelle with the LS-6 Vin Diesel drove around in Fast and Furious.

Okay, any car from that movie would be fine. LOL

Username: Dcmnto

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and since this thread kind of is going with my line of questioning, I figured I woud just hijack it.

I am not new to the audiophile game, but by no means the most knowledgeable out there. I am looking to replace my current Rotel amp with a mac.

I have a Rowen pre-amp, An adcom cd player (which sounds better than I expected) and a set of Wittek/Rohrig speakers that although they are unknown, rival that of what I have heard at most high end shows.

The speakers are by far the best component of my system and do a wonderous job of highlighting the rest of the systems weaknesses.

I want to start heading down the Mac road as I love the warm sound they produce.

My music tastes are all over the place, but I tend to test systems with the likes of Portishead/Massive Attack, Stephen Stills Tom Waites and Peter Gabriel and my favorite recording of Peer Gynt. I guess that might indicate I like to hear bass, crisp clean guitars, female vocals and all sorts of details (who doesnt?) :-)

So on to my question: As I am not as well off as the individual who started this thread I am looking at either the MC7200/7270 or the 2205 used mac.

Does more wattage equal more amperage, and is amperage a big player in fuller sound? Is there a better choice between these 2/3 amplifiers?

I do not have the option to go and directly listen to these amps with my system, but I do expect a major improvement in performance. Just a matter of which amplifier will lead to the greater improvement in sound.

Thanks!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3246
Daniel, I went from Rotel (among other things) eventually to Mac.

The 2205 I believe puts out 200 watts. This is going to be enough to drive practically any speaker to insane levels.

My MC-6300 integrated at 100w handles relatively efficient speakers with aplomb.

You can't go wrong with either the 7200 or the 2205.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13894
I like the newer 7200, or etter yet, the 7300(which I have heard more).

Username: Dheeraj

Post Number: 4
Hi guys u all seem pretty knowlegable out here.
Am new to this hi fi harware stuff.
I am rigging up an entry level system
marantz 5003 source - marantz PM 7001 amp - Wharfadel 9.6 Diamond speakers.
Does it sound ok..... what is the weakest link and any suggestions for equivalents. I am in India and these are costing me 18 K + 24 K + 36 K in Rs.
1 $ = 48 Rs

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3299
I have no experience with Marantz equipment, so I can't offer anything of value to you. Sounds like a respectable system though, lots of guys on here like the Wharfdales.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us