Very Low Sound through right speaker/Receiver issue

Username: Jwhite0514

Post Number: 1
I have a sony str-de675. Compared to things today it is relatively old. Last night I noticed that my right speaker was very faint. I adjusted the balance which did not work. I switched speakers so I kwow it is not the speaker. I reset the receiver per Sony and still nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what the problem might be or how to resolve?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13034
Shopping for a new one?

Username: Jwhite0514

Post Number: 2
I am not a big audio person. Is that my only choice? I could probably get a new one for the price to have it fixed if I had to guess.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13785

You probably could. Buying disposable audio products usually means sooner or later they will have to be disposed of.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13038
In a landfill, nasty chemicals and metals and all.
Another reason to buy good stuff once.

I know this is not helping, but it is true.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3767
Your options are to have it repaired or to replace it. If you have an old style repair shop in your area, they might be able to repair it for very little as a labour of love rather than anything else. If there is no such thing in your area, you have but one option left unfortunately.

All things age I'm sorry to say.

Frank.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13790

I seriously doubt there is a repair technician who would work on a Sony STR-DE675 out of love for the product.

Could be wrong but ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13042
What's love got to do with it? Tina Turner

Shopping day!

But something good and built to last!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2872
Yeeehaaaw! I love spending someone else's money.

And it's good for the economy.

Oh yeah, don't buy another Sony.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 890
If you get a nice receiver like this one, your ears will thank you. Invest in a nice hifi and you will be in heaven.

That means upgrading other parts of the system, but you can do it for a few hundred $ if you choose well.

Look in the craiglist for receivers like luxman R117, R115, Tandberg, Marantz, sansui, old Yamaha CR-series.

You can pick one up for a song usually, and they will sound noticeably better than the sony - so I won't fix it - I will upgrade for the same money.

Perhaps it was a good thing that it broke - it's a chance for you to join hifi-crowed, and warm your hearts with true great music...

You might want to upgrade the CD player to sony playstation 1 model no. 1001 from ebay for $30 - sounds like a few thousand $ gear.

If you want to upgrade speakers, post it on the speaker forum, and you will get help there - then you will be in sonic heaven...

Best luck, and welcome to this exciting hobby...

You can enjoy good sounds for not much money if you ask in sights like this and research first.

Audiogon.com is another sight for good advices.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13848

"Look in the craiglist for receivers like luxman R117, R115, Tandberg, Marantz, sansui, old Yamaha CR-series."

Consider that none of those receivers can easily be repaired when they break and repairs will cost more due to the conditions you'll be placing yourself under.

The few companies on that list that still exist in the US do not support their older gear - many of them are not even owned by the same parent company nowdays. The others - Tandberg, Sansui - do not exist in the US. The only way to get any of these products fixed is to search out someone willing to work on vintage gear who also happens to have a spare of whatever you're trying to fix to pull from for parts. Then you are still putting 20-30 year old parts in a repair.

This isn't a totally unrealistic suggestion but you should know going in there are some real hurdles to buying this sort of product..

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2220
Is this for stereo or home theater?

For HT, you can get a factory-refurbished harmon kardon avr-254 for less than $250 on ebay from the harman Audio store. I'm sure there are lots of very affordable receivers that would suit you just fine as well. There's no need for you to spend a huge amount on it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13142
A disposable unit will do for now,no doubt.
Might be a good time to buy for now, but get out and listen a lot.

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 892
"Look in the craiglist for receivers like luxman R117, R115, Tandberg, Marantz, sansui, old Yamaha CR-series."

That's true that these old gears will not last you as long as a new one - but you will be enjoying more quality for the price of the sony you own. If you were to buy a new one at the level, you would be paying a lot more.

That's why it will be a good idea to buy it on the Craiglist then on ebay - you can take your speakers and test it before you buy.

If it works, it will probably give you years of good service. If it breaks down, you still didn't lose that much money still - and you can get another one.

If you are looking for a newer one, you can also search for these companies.

Arcam, creek, rega, onkyo A-9555, etc.

As someone already mentioned, you don't have to pay a lot at this point to enjoy some good sounds - but when you upgrade the receiver, you might want to upgrade other parts of the system.

If you do, for a few hundred $, you can assemble a system that is quite enjoyable - if you ask questions on this sight, and get some info.

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 893
I left out an important company in mid-fi - NAD.
There should be many receivers and integrated amp by that maker - and they do sound better than your sony.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us