Onkyo 606 series

Username: Julian437

Post Number: 2
ok i have just bought myself (about a week ago) a samsung LED LCD tv, the 6000 series, i have a ps3, cable and a regular dvd player as the ps3 doesnt play bootleg dvds. this is where im confused, i told the salesman at the shop that sold me the samsung that i want to run all my gear through a receiver, he ran through some of the receivers he had at the shop and then he came to the onkyo 606 series. he clearly stated to me that he had the same one at home and that all u need to do is plug the composite cables(this is all my cable and dvd player supports) into the back of the 606 and then with just the one hdmi cable plug that going from the 606 to the tv, he said this would upscale all the composite signals going into the 606 into hdmi quality going into the tv. i obviously believed him and bought just the one hdmi cable as well as the samsung and the 606. i got home and did what he said and cannot get it to work, i went back to the shop and talked to the salesman himself that told me it worked and he was adamant that he has this setup at his house and it works. he reckons i might have my hdmi input and output mixed up, and that you have to assign the receiver to your hdmi or something like that. any way bottom line is it possible to use the one hdmi cable for all your components. i said to the salesman that i read on the net that this doesnt work, he then said hell organize a pro to install the system but thats 300$.
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3761
Julian

IIRC, he's right, but you have to ensure your input assignments and upscaling are correct. The TX-SR606 has to be told to take the composite input and re-route it to the HDMI output (shame it's composite, that's the lowest of the low). You also need to tell the Onkyo whether or not you want it to upscale the output to 1080i. Now, this is not necessarily the best solution because the scaler in the Samsung TV may be better so this is something worth testing.

For best results from your PS3, you should use an HDMI cable to the Onkyo to take advantage of the best HD audio surround sound from your Bluray discs. The Onkyo will pass through the 1080p signal to the Samsung.

So yes, in theory he's correct and it should be a simple matter of reading the manual and setting up the 606 appropriately. I found the manual on the Onkyo site and the section that confirms what he said is on page 22. Also have a look at the Advanced setup on page 80. I think the HDMI Output resolution should be set to Auto to automatically convert your composite signal to something the TV can understand. Also check the Troubleshooting section on page 97 - I think you need to ensure the Pure Audio button is switched off for composite sources.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 895
I've got my brother set up with a component input and and HDMI input, with just one HDMI ouput to his projector all working find through his Onkyo TX-605, so I can't see it not working for the 606. It's got to be in your setup. Can you call Onkyo and get their support line to walk you through it?

Username: Julian437

Post Number: 3
thanks fellas, tis my first home theater setup, i had a good read of page 22 in the manual and i understand a lot better, the salesman made it sound so easy, plug it in of she goes, worst comes to worst ill contact onkyo themselves and get them to give me a dumbass guide. i should be right. thanks for the info has been a real help

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3762
Let us know how you get on Julian!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us