One less place to audition gear in NYC

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2764
Sound City on W45th Street in NYC, one of my least favorite places to audition gear, is no more.

Coincidentally, this is the same block where Harvey Electronics' flagship store once stood.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10217
Sounds like it ain't no loss Chris.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2765
They did carry Paradigm, PSB, Mordant Short, Orb, and a few I can't remember right now.

So while I could never get a decent audition in this joint, and the salesman was a pretentious fake-hippie know-it-all, I was still able to see the stuff first hand.

I do miss Harvey's.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10218
I love your description...sounds alot of the folks who live in Corvallis where I work...lol!

Not the people I work with but the community at large.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3381
There are very few and far between respectable dealers in NYC IMO. I heard of one or two charging for demos. They will apply the money towards a purchase, but if you decide it isn't what you want, you're out $100! Seriously.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2766
Care to cough-up some names so I know which ones to avoid?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 157
I actually wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee for an audition. Maybe $5 or something, just to help the store. I sometimes feel bad if I spend time auditioning and then don't buy anything. $100 is way too much though.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10221
I wouldn't pay for an audition.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2767
Maybe we should start charging for advice?

I wouldn't pay for an audition, not a nickle; I like the long-standing practice of a salesman having to earn my business, but I'm a dinosaur.

Silver Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 103
It's a tough subject now a days. For people looking purely at price internet distributors can be used, and people will often just go to stores to abuse the ability to listen to speakers (with no intent to buy). I'd pay a bit more to go to a store and find someone knowledgeable and helpful. I'm only 23, but I still value service above price (to a point though).

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10222
It's certainly true that folks will go to a store to audition a piece of gear and then buy online. That's a dubious practice and very unfortunate however I don't want to pay for those who behave poorly. I buy where I audition if the folks have been good to me, which they almost always are. My favorite audio dealer Eugene HiFi has the best practices and are the most customer friendly I have ever dealt with. Kirk, I'm really glad to read that you value service that much...so do I.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 159
I just think if a dealer lets you spend one hour listening to some of their gear with your own music that that is worth something.

I'm going to be doing an in home demo with a pair of PMC Tb2i speakers this coming weekend (I'll be sure to set up a thread) and I wouldn't mind paying up to $50 for the privilege. In home vs. in store demos are different of course. It's easier to justify charging for in home demos because if a store allows for this then over time a piece of gear may come back with scraches or nicks or what have you. They are giving up some control. In store you can argue that it is their job, but I've had two dealers in particular go out of their way to let me listen to gear and I walked out buying nothing and it kind of bugs me. If I ever win the lottery these two dealers will be very happy!

At the end of the day you have to remember that these are businesses that need to earn income to stay in business. A good demonstration is not something to take for granted. Not all stores are set up to accomodate this (big box) and not every smaller dealer has the right attitude. I personally don't see a problem paying a nominal fee for the priviledge to do a good audition, but I can understand why others would be opposed.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10223
They're selling a product I don't think they deserve a reward for just allowing you to hear it...just me, but I think they need to earn your business. These aren't toasters or coffee makers they are a significant investment and if a dealer plays their cards right they can make a loyal, long term customer.

Starting the relationship by making you pay for the privilege of letting them sell you something seems backwards. The best dealer I know of (the one I mentioned above) will let locals audition the gear in home for free and for more than just a day or two.

If I demo gear in a store that doesn't move me then there is no reason for me to buy it.

I remember going into an other store in Seattle just to look, I knew I couldn't afford the gear, but I wanted to lay my eyes on a quarter million dollar system just to say I'd seen it. The salesman asked if I would like to hear and I let him know I was just looking and could never afford a system like that. He said, that's OK here have a seat and let me set it up for you...he did the most awesome demo for me and then thanked me for taking the time to listen...great business and at anytime if they had what I was looking for I'd buy from them..period.

What next, should we pay for a carpet salesman to give us a comparative analysis of he brands he carries. I think we are asking for trouble by going down this road...again that's just my opinion and there is room for all views here.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2327
I agree totally Art. The dealers I have bought from and will again (as few as they are) have provided excellent service and back up. Next we'll have to pay for a salesman's time to test drive a car we may be interested in purchasing.

Silver Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 104
Art:

The same thing happened to me with a store here in Ontario. I walked in, I was just in that town to pick up my brother, and he had me listen to his expensive system Martin Logan CLX - Ayre KXR/MXR (perhaps just to show off, but still). He ran me through a bunch of systems (Totem, Reference 3A, Vandersteen etc). All out of my price range at the moment. I said sometime in the future I intend to go to something of that nature ($$$). Amazing service. That will likely be the reason I go back there. He even makes cables up right infront of you. I bunch some Neotech cable and he put own his own rca's etc. Reasonable price and it looked like it was nice and durable (12 guage).

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12923
A proud owner or happy associate will always be happy toplay with his favorite toys when the shop is slow.

Try a Wednesday afternoon around 2.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3383
The shop that was alledgedly charging for demos is Sound By Singer in Manhattan. A few guys on Audio Circle were complaining about it. Appearently they got tired of demoing gear for people who were buying the stuff on Audiogon. The $100 was applied to whatever the person ended up buying. Basically, if you generally were interested in something they have, but didn't like the way it sounds, there goes your $100.

While I agree with being upset about it, charging goes way too far. How do they know if a person really isn't interested or if they're buying on Audiogon? Wasted time from unsuccessful demos should be built into the price of new gear. New gear is marked up a good bit because its not exactly flying off the shelves.

I went into that shop a few months ago. My wife and I were killing time in NYC, I saw some Burmester gear in the window, so we went inside. We walked by 3 people who were sitting at their desks. We made eye contact with all them. No one said a word to us. We looked in a few rooms, walked through the main area a few times, and walked out. No one acknowledged us.

I wasn't upset because I wasn't there to listen to anything. I thought about asking to hear something just to see what they'd say, but I didn't.

My wife who's been in 2 hifi shops her entire life before this (both were excellent BTW), was dumbfounded. She asked 'How do they expect to sell anything if they can't even acknowledge you, let alone actually get up?'

Stuff like this is a part of why hifi shops are dying out. I've been in too many shops that act this way. It really makes me appreciate the good shops.

There was another shop that was charging too. I can't remember which one. Hopefully both knocked off their garbage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2768
I should charge Sound By Singer for wasting my time.

If you may recall, I wanted to hear a pair of Gallo, I called ahead, was told they were on display and that I should come in. I get there only to be ignored, told to wait while some slob in a wrinkled shirt ate his breakfast, only to be told that the Gallo were not on display, that the Gallo are overrated, and what I really want to hear are a pair of Vendersteen's, which coincidentally were on display.

Never again.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 773
"I remember going into another store in Seattle just to look, I knew I couldn't afford the gear, but I wanted to lay my eyes on a quarter million dollar system just to say I'd seen it. The salesman asked if I would like to hear and I let him know I was just looking and could never afford a system like that. He said, that's OK here have a seat and let me set it up for you...he did the most awesome demo for me and then thanked me for taking the time to listen...great business and at anytime if they had what I was looking for I'd buy from them..period."

Try that at the local Ferrari dealer next time...who knows?

ON the subject, I would pay a nominal fee to demo in my home. I figure while I have the stuff, they are out the use of it, and it saves me time. Demo in the store should be gratis. Charging for in-store demonstration is kind of like putting a bill slot on the display TVs to turn them on.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2823
I would also pay a nominal fee to borrow a demo and bring it home Neil. But I would never pay a fee to demo some gear in the shop. That's why they have the gear set-up in the first place - for us to hear it. It would be like going to car dealership to look at the car your interested in, but they told you "You could take it for a spin, but it'll cost you 100 bucks".

BTW, my local dealer offers me stuff to take home all the time, for free.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10224
I'm not interested in Ferrari's Neil but if I were I'd have no trouble walking into the Ferrari dealer with the same intention of just looking...if they offered a test ride all the better and if I won the lotto they would have just benefitted from the good business practice of treating the customer like someone of value. You never really know who has the money to buy...it doesn't make sense to scare off potential customers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2824
There's always gonna be people who manipulate the system Art. I had friends when I was younger that used to dress up in suits and go to high-end car dealerships and take Porsches for a test drive. I think the difference is that in audio the segment of people who are interested in this hobby are actually quite serious and passionate about it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 160
While I agree with being upset about it, charging goes way too far. How do they know if a person really isn't interested or if they're buying on Audiogon? Wasted time from unsuccessful demos should be built into the price of new gear. New gear is marked up a good bit because its not exactly flying off the shelves.

See, I'd rather they charge less for the product and a nominal fee for a demo. That is more fair. The gear would be priced at closer to it's real value (with less markup) and if you need to spend time demoing then you pay for that privilege. It's more of a "pay for use" system. If you know which gear you want and don't need much help you pay for that. Why pay more so that others can demo? And if you do want to demo then you pay for that.

I think legitimate buyers would still recognize the value in demoing gear and would appreciate a more fair price for the gear itself. Those who just want to demo for the hell of it, or demo and then buy online, will have to share some of the burden rather than dumping it on others who do buy from real dealers. I don't bother dealers with demo requests often enough to have whatever small amount I'd have to pay concern me, and if it helps brick and mortar stores compete with Audiogon and online shops then that's great.

I'm not saying this system would be perfect, but it strikes me as more fair. And I'm not sure you can compare high end audio to other kinds of products. Different circumstances. I don't need to test a fridge, as long as it is big enough and has the features I want I can safely assume it'll cool my food adequately. I do need to test drive a car but I'm not likely to then go online to buy the same model.

Here's a thread at CAM I found that really gets into this issue (I hope it's okay to post a link to another forum):

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9180

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2061
How's this for a concept.

A fellow or lass walks into a higher end audio shop and announces to the first salesperson to approach him or her "Hey I am interested in your "X". I found it on Audiogon for $$$. I know that is not your price but I would really appreciate your giving me a chance to see how it sounds (performs whatever). If I like it and you can get within 10% of the online price I will buy from you. If I like it and you cannot meet my price I will pay you 10% of the Audiogon price for your time. However if I do not like it and will not be purchasing it I will not pay for the demo."

Fairly straightforward no holds barred.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2328
What happened to the art of salesmanship and the ability to qualify a possible customer. This idea of charging for a demo may be okay for some, but to me if this is the way of the future then we'll have either robots or disinterested robotic people who are just simply order takers who will have no interaction with their customers. Loyalty will go out the window as well as any comraderie with people having similar interests who will be there to offer advice and ongoing service.

Yes sir, an audition will cost you a hundred bucks.

Sorry, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

No problem sir, please come again (and give us another hundred sucker!).

My 2cents worth.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 776
MW, I don't know if I would do that as a customer. If I am looking at $5,000 worth of gear and they cannot meet my price, they get paid $500 for doing their job? NOT. I'm with M.R. on that one.

Art, those Ferraris have pretty good audio systems in them. Better take a peek. Wear a suit. LOL.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3384
Reading my post again, I should have put it another way...

People demoing gear and deciding they don't like it is the cost of doing business. I don't owe any store anything if I don't like their product, and I don't feel obligated to buy anything I don't want.

A while back I needed a new suit. I tried on about 8 at Brooks Brothers. Not a single one fit right. A salesperson followed me around and helped me for about 45 minutes. Should I have had to pay to try them on?

I was looking for a watch at Tourneau. I tried on about 4or 5, and none of them looked right, flet right, etc. A person had to take each one out of the case and put it back. About 20 minutes of his time. Should that have cost me anything?

I test drove about 10 cars at 5 dealerships before I found the right one. Should I have had to pay for that?

I had every intention of buying every time. I don't try stuff on for the sake of seeing how it'll look on me. I ended up buying a suit and a watch from different places at different times. Not because the same item was cheaper somewhere else, but because someone else had a better product for my needs. Same goes for my car.

No retailer has a product that every person will try out and buy every time. Its the cost of doing business. Audio shops for some reason feel that they're different than everyone else. They have this sense of entitlement. If you run a business and feel every person who walks in your door OWES you money - regardless of if they liked your product or not, you're probably not going to be in business very long. The only ones who can get away with that mentality is government

Just my opinion. Is the whole world crazy, or is it just me?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3385
When I was contemplating buying my Bryston B60 on Audiogon, I called my local Bryston dealer and asked if they had one on display that I could hear. I made it very clear that I was looking to buy it on Audiogon and I couldn't afford a new one. The salesman said it was fine to come in and hear one.

It was a weekday morning and they weren't busy. They had no problem answering questions for me. I thanked them and promised that when I could afford something from them, I would remember their hospitality.

Actually, the salesman did get something out of it. He really liked the demo CD I used, so I let him burn a copy of it.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2063
I tend to stick by my post Neil. And to Stu's point, if I as a Customer went to your shop to buy from you if satisfied with the gear and found I was not, then I simply leave and it costs me nothing.

Back to Neil, my post was only for the buyer who already has dialed in his or her online deal. To me it is a win / win. They get to find out from the dealer demo if they should even go through with shelling out $5K. Remember there is no guarantee that the what you pay for something and then decide to flip it if you do not like it will net you what you paid for it any time soon. If a dealer will allow me to validate an $"X" amount purchase that he can either match or pass on, my knowing that I was not going to flip to product, would be worth the 10% to me whether it be the price of the demo or the surcharge for matching the online price.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 778
The whole world is crazy, Stu.

Charging a fee because you cannot compete on price makes no sense. As many have said, people will pay a bit more for customer service and expert advice. Charging up front for it is assinine, and will ultimately drive them out of business.

I usually know when I'm getting good advice and when I'm being BS'd. I will always support businesses with great customer service, even at somewhat higher cost, because I know the service will continue after I own the item. BTW, I don't differentiate between online businesses and brick and mortar stores in this regard. I have found many online businesses with exceptional customer service as well. I feel as comfortable buying from them as I would if they were right down the street.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2064
To Stu's last post, I would be okay with how it worked out for his situation. Not all dealers would work with him like that. My point is that there is value to me not to piss in the wind but to have a better idea of what was I about to move into. I too, like Stu, would want to be upfront with a dealer as to my intentions, it is just that I would want to not shut him out of selling to me. It then is up to him to take a price cut or just take a chance that I will like the product and pay him the 10% for his time. I would think most dealers would work with my concept because they should, if worth their salt to begin with, which is why you would be there in the first place, believe in their product enough to trust that once you heard it they are either selling it to you or getting their 10% for the demo.

Again, my concept is only for those buyers who are wanting to audition a product they have no intention of buying from the dealer to begin with.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 780
Again, my concept is only for those buyers who are wanting to audition a product they have no intention of buying from the dealer to begin with.

And I think it is this concept I have the difficulty with Mike. I would go in with the idea that if they are genuinely helpful and are known for their customer service, I will buy from them if I like the gear. If I don't like it, I am not going to buy it from anybody, so that's not an issue. The issue is if I like the gear and I do not want to deal with them. Of course, by that time, you know and can simply say you don't like it I suppose.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 161
The whole world is crazy, Stu.

Charging a fee because you cannot compete on price makes no sense. As many have said, people will pay a bit more for customer service and expert advice. Charging up front for it is assinine, and will ultimately drive them out of business.

But Neil, the problem is that many people won't pay for it (much like music, a perfect example that people will save money when it's easy for them to do so, even if it is unethical or outright illegal). The Internet has changed the way the game is played. It is far too easy for someone to browse the web for gear they might like, go to a local dealer to audition it, and then go back to their computer to purchase it. Who subsidizes this? The ones who do opt to buy locally. And I'd have to think this kind of thing happens all the time.

Even with me, the first idea that pops into my head when I'm mulling over buying some Cambridge, Marantz, or NAD gear is head over to Audio Advisor and see if they have it cheap. At some point I catch myself and remember I'd prefer to buy locally, and that a couple of dealers in my area put gear up for sale in the slow spring and summer months. Or there is always the chance to buy a discontinued or demo component. Nothing against Audio Advisor, they seem like a great retailer and I'm not against buying from them per se.

I don't mind Michael's concept of offering 10% of the Audiogon price. Problem is most people will not be stand up enough to do this.

And again, it's not like test driving a car. People don't then go and buy cars cheaper online. Yes, they may opt for another make, but that was always the way. Same thing with suits and watches (although you can get great prices for watches on ebay, which makes this the best analogy so far).

People demoing gear and deciding they don't like it is the cost of doing business. I don't owe any store anything if I don't like their product, and I don't feel obligated to buy anything I don't want.

It's hard to argue with this Stu. I'm not sure I even really believe in what I am arguing, but I obviously can understand that point of view.

$5 for a demo. I might pay $20 a year in demo fees. Maybe a product retails for $100 less just because of these sorts of fees. Maybe in the end I profit when you take into account the $100 savings, and maybe the dealer does too as the fee encourages people to buy locally.

I don't know how much good audio stores are suffering due to the online threat, but if this saves some stores and results in lower prices for each good then maybe the end is worth the means.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10225
Frankly it doesn't matter that there are folks who go in to a store or dealership to audition or test drive under false pretenses. Not every audition or test drive is going to lead to a sale under the best of conditions. Simply put if you cahrge for an audition you will lose sales..period. I guarantee that I will never pay for an audition and there are enough folks who feel that way to make it an expensive proposition.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2825
I agree Art. If I was in a shop and asked to hear a piece of gear, and they said "that'll be 5 bucks please", I'd walk out.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2826
Oh yeah, one other thing. I don't the online retailers are hurting the brick and mortar audioshops here in Canada as much as in the U.S. The reason being is that after we pay for shipping and duty fees, the item is no longer a deal. In fact, if you're buying new, it often works out to be more expensive to buy online.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12926
For my audition investment, am I granted unfettered acess to the volume, the selections, speaker and chair placement?
Am I granted the room by myself alone?

Is the audition available at the hours of my choosing?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 163
I'm starting to get the feeling that you guys don't like this idea.

Nuck, paying a nominal fee does not give you control of the entire store! It would simply allow you a lengthy demo of whatever gear you choose to hear.

Charging a fee is sure to turn many people off, no doubt. It would only work if other dealers in the area also charge a demo fee. That way if you truly wanted to listen you couldn't simply walk out and do it for free at the dealer who is just a few minutes away. Anyways, I can understand why people are against this, but we see some dealers who have opted to go this route and frankly it wouln't surprise me if others followed suit.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3386
If that happened/happens, the only ones who'll benefit is probably the internet direct companies.

I'd never pay for an audition. If the day comes where every hifi shop charges, I'll happily buy gear at Best Buy. Its all about listening to music in the end, not about the gear.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2330
Audiobuff walks into a store just for the heck of it and see something that tweaks his interest, but he doesn't really need it. He chats to the salesperson about it, the salesperson then asks audiobuff if he wants to hear it in action. Audiobuff loves what he hears, cannot resist temptation and hands over his card.

If they charged for an audition chances are audiobuff may not have even walked into the store or at least most likely turned down the audition.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 164
If auditioning gear before buying is really as important as audiophiles seem to believe, then I'd think someone truly interested in making a purchase would probably pay the $5. Is such a small fee going to stop you from auditioning and possibly making a bad purchase? I realize you guys aren't complaining about the amount, rather it's the principle. But would you honestly go to Best Buy instead?

I think it's all in how a store presents the policy.

"We didn't want to do this, we felt we had to to keep the store viable. Like it or not, the Internet has made doing business tough for us. We offer a service that those stores cannot, a live demo, and for that we ask for a small fee. The fee helps us keep our prices down."

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Maybe if you pay $5 today you can demo anything over the next month. This recognizes that someone may be in the market for new gear and may need some time to do their homework.

I know a lot of people won't like it, and this thread is evidence of that. I guess if too many people find the practice distasteful then it will end pretty quick. If not then it will probably spread, and we can conclude that although it may be backwards to ask for money without earning my business, it is a practice that works.

Though I wonder how many stores would let you stay there for one hour or more testing their products. Want to buy a mattress? Can I lie on it for an hour? Maybe take a nap and then see if I feel refreshed? Or how about I sit in a car for an hour, or test drive it for one hour? After all, I need to know if my butt will hurt in those seats during an extended trip. I'm thinking an agent may approach you and say, "if you want to make a deal then we'll be more than happy to work something out, but otherwise we'll have to ask you to leave."

By offering me a demo it's true that the store hasn't earned my business. That's why I'm not forking over $1,000 for that amp. But to allow you to play with it for an hour or even more, I'd argue that is earning something. Any store that goes that far to offer a good demo experience is almost surely one with great service, and by that point they probably have earned your business.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10228
You can continue to argue that we should pay a salesman to do his job however I will continue to believe that his employer should pay. There's not an audio dealer I know who thinks that makes sense. I was talking to a dealer yesterday and mentioned it, he laughed.

"I think it's all in how a store presents the policy.

"We didn't want to do this, we felt we had to to keep the store viable. Like it or not, the Internet has made doing business tough for us. We offer a service that those stores cannot, a live demo, and for that we ask for a small fee. The fee helps us keep our prices down."

I know the points that dealers get with the gear, not unreasonable but the cost of having to actually sell the gear is already built in which makes the above statement even sillier yet.

I'll not pay to audition gear...or a toaster, or a mattress or anything else. Only in audio would the concept of exclusivity reach this level.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 624
In the shop I frequent most often, they love to show and have you listen to anything new on the floor. I've gone in there planning to ask a single question, or check a price, or something like that that takes 5 minutes or less....however I'm often there an hour or more because they want me to listen to something or talk about a product. They're exited about the products they sell, and want to show them off. To me it's good business. It builds the relationship and exposes Customers to buying opportunities they might not have considered without the prompting.

Fee-for-service auditions would end my auditioning days, and I expect would shut down a few more audio shops, of which there are already too few. I have no problem coughing up my credit card to take a piece home (which I've done), but I wouldn't do the same if I new they would ding my card $50 or more if I didn't buy the piece.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10229
There is a dealer in Seattle that I know who does auditions almost exclusively by appointment. He states that he wants to give the buyer his full attention. His store is otherwise open however if you happen to walk into the store and be perusing the goods at the time an appointment is to take place he asks you to leave and gives you a range of times when he may be available again that day if at all. He puts up a closed until so and so time sign.

I understand giving the buyer/auditioner your fulll attention. However the way he presents it feels like he is afraid you'll steal the gear when he's not looking, even to the point that he tells stories of the gear walking out the door. Not sure if he tells the same stories to his caucasion customers, hope so. Anyway, yet another variation in how dealers operate.

Here's an idea for the dealer into innovative survival. Offer a membership like Costco for automatic no haggling discounts and special membership sales on everything from supplies like record sleeves and other accessories to audio gear and "free" auditions. The one stop audio shop with everything you need (so they'd say). Still doubt I'd buy but at least there would be some value it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 166
I do like that idea Art. It's obvious that a demo fee would not be popular, despite the fact that I think there is logic to it.

I'm not meaning to argue either, only to discuss the issue and put forth my case!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10231
"I'm not meaning to argue either, only to discuss the issue and put forth my case!"

Me too Dan, and I think you've done an excellent job. This thread has remained wonderfully civil in spite of considerable disagreement...excellent.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12933
I dont want the whole store, just free acess to the thing that I am puting down payment on, thats all.
Like a long test drive, and no salesman has ever gone with me on one of those, neither my little car or the Vette.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10232
I hear ya Nuck.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1288
This is somewhat similar to the restocking fee in the cellphone industry. It is all in the positioning.

We want to be sure that someone has the phone that best meets the individual needs of that particular person before they leave the store, so they can avoid having to exchange the phone for another model and avoid paying the restocking fee.

If you position it that the phone can be exchanged for $35, the positive atmosphere has gone right out the window.

I understand that a restocking fee is much different from auditioning fee (lol) but it works on the same principle. People having to pay for something when they originally did not (a customer received a "free" phone with his credit and has to pay to exchange it)

Now that our reps are positioning it much better than when it first rolled out, we rarely have an escalation over it.

I am not sure how it would work for the audio industry though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13067
Gav, if you make me think of money again in the middle of 'A lamb lies down on Broaway', I will kick your buttt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us