Monitor Audio RS6 vs. Infinity Classia C336

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 848
I'm looking for thoughts and or experience with these two specific speakers. I can get them for the same price. I believe the MSRP in Canada for the MA is $1500 and the Infinity is $1999. I have heard the MA's and like the sound. I have not heard the Infinity and therefore, am questioning whether I should seek them out for an audition, given that I can get them for the same price. Tawaan at one time praised the C336 as the best speaker buy around.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10146
I'd bet money to marbles on the MA's.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3366
Me too, however I'm not quite sure on their pairing with Bryston. I remember David saying they were overly bright with his Rotel stuff. Bryston isn't harsh nor overly bright, but its not exactly warm and smoothed over either.

How did they sound together Dave?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2623
For my room and my personal tastes I love the combo. A ton of attack, and smooth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 849
I'm very much leaning on the MA's but it was all the raving I heard about the Classia's as well as Art and the others about the Beta's etc. The Classia's are supposed to have trickle down technology from the Revel line.
I believe that Rotel with the MA's doesn't work but Dave also has a natural liking for the warmer side of neutral - hence his love for the Sttafs, though I know he still loves the MA's.
So it could be Cambridge 640C for source, Bryston 3B-ST amplification (haven't locked down a pre-amp yet) and then the MA's.
Not much in terms of dependable reviews on the Classias out there.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10148
You may want to reread the budget speaker thread to see my conclusions relative to the Beta 20's.

I'm a big fan of the MA's in the right system. You may want to consider a hybrid pre amp. There are a bunch of them out there just check Agon.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3369
If you've got room for a big tower, check out the Revel Concerta tower. I thought it was excellent for the money - $1500 USD.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10150
That is a good speaker Stu. Very full sounding...about as close as I've seen to full range in that price range. I still prefer the MA's but many would not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 852
Stu, what would the F12's provide over the Classia 336. And I know specs are not always indicative but the F12 only claim to reach down to 58Hz, so how could they be full range...am I missing something?

Oh Art, my enquires into the Audio Research SP9 is my investigation into a hybrid pre - though Jan has asked that I make a decision or move on - in not so gracious words...LOL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2624
Take your time George.

Silver Member

Post Number: 854
Thanks Nick...and that I will. The MA's are sweeeet and given that I love detail they have great appeal for me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2626
They have gobs and gobs of midrange detail. Dave may have a different opinion then I have, or maybe he will have the same one. Not sure.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10152
I've heard some excellent AR hybrid pre's George. Two of my friends have them and love them. Don't remember the models..but they are fabulous. As Nick said take your time, you'll get it figured out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2627
George you and I are almost shooting in the right direction. My future purchases in audio is 1.) Turntable and 2.) A Tube pre amp.

I believe that Bryston power with a high end Tube pre amp is outstanding.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2628
Sorry I meant ' same direction '. If I keep going right George I will end up in Lake Ontario!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3370
George,

As you said, forget specs. The Concertas have three 8" woofers! Deep, strong, and more importantly tight bass that'll kick you in the stomach all night long. I'd even be surprised if they didn't pull off home theater explosion bass realistically without a sub.

But they're very well balanced. You'll first notice the bass strength, but then realize the speaker is not a 1 trick pony. Equally good mids, and articulate enough highs.

They're not the most detailed speaker out there. They've got enough, but its not their suit. If you want to hear every single little subtle detail, you may not be too hapy. But their strengths very easily make up for it IMO.

I haven't heard the Classicas, so no comparison from me.

I haven't heard the MAs enough to give a fair comparison there either.

Patience is a virtue. I have no idea what a virtue is though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 857
Nick/Art: I'll continue evaluating my preamp decision and a hybrid and/or tube is still under consideration. We'll have to hear more from you Nick on your search.
Stu - thanks for the details on the F12's. I am a detail freak and actually not a huge bass seeker. I like a balanced sound but a lean towards detail and tranparency rather than fullness and warmth. If I can I'll listen to them. I haven't been to any Revel dealers yet.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2776
The MA's and Bryston are a match made in heaven. Nick is driving his with a 3b (ST?), and I've driven mine with a 3b, Power Pac 120s, and currently an ancient 2B.

Obviously the Power Pacs were the best of the bunch, but even the 2B drives them nicely. Lots of low end slam and attack, without being bright or fatiguing.

I could listen to the combo all day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 858
Thanks for the feedback Dave. I like a snappy tight and detailed sound and the MA's seem to fit the bill. I'd imagine the Classia's to provide a little more politeness but I'm only guessing.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2777
I wouldn't describe the MA's as polite, that's for sure. But I wouldn't call them harsh either... My Sttafs are polite, the MA's are detailed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2629
lol I fully agree with David. Polite they are not. More like " Reach out, grab you by the throat and punch you in face with detail" kind of sound IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 859
My oops. I worded that incorrectly. I would expect the Classia's to lean towards politeness but I understand and have heard the detail in the MA's, hence my love of them for the jazz/instrumental music I love to listen to. The Sttafs are polite but very nice in their own right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2630
The Staff's are the total opposite end of the spectrum. One is in your face and the Staffs are laid back. Ive only heard the Staff's twice now on Anthem gear but they are very nice. I could see some people preferring Totem sound and others preferring the MA sound. Just a matter of taste. I know Dave likes the Totems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 862
Yeah Nick but all the Totem's are different, there's something there for most. The Hawks are a little more up front than the Sttafs but not as much as the MA's, a very nice middle ground. So far I've heard Totem's I like more than others but I like all the Totem's I've heard i.e. Sttafs, Hawks, Model1, The One, Rainmaker.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3373
The reason why Totems don't all sound similar is that each model is designed individually from the ground up. The don't do a 'good, better, best' approach. They don't design a speaker then add or reduce the number of woofers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2631
I like that approach

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2759
Remember, there's apparently a new Monitor Audio Silver Series slated for release this fall (as per another member's post, sorry I can't remember who?), and the new Wharfedale Diamond 10 Series should also be competitive in this price range.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2782
I'm very much looking forward to hearing the new MA Silver series. Things always seem to become available later here in Canada. Argh....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10155
I don't think the Diamonds will compete with the MA Silver range. It would be the Evo range in it's next incarnation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
Onkyo powering RS6. Dave / Nick does this look a little loose or do they really move like that. The Onkyo is running just shy of max. (at 56 where 63 is max.). Thought is was interesting.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&rlz=1T4RNWN_enCA260CA260&q=monitor+aud io+rs6&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=d59WSob0Kom6NafewZ0I&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title &resnum=4#

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2301
George, the movement of those cones doesn't seem to coincide with the music. Watched the next video (with Musical Fidelity system) and I couldn't see any movement in the cones.

How silly though - to demonstrate how speakers sound on U-tube. Yeah, my computer speakers will tell that exactly and especially in MP3 - NOT!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2760
I'd still like to hear those new Diamond, and I'd like to hear the Classia, but that isn't going to happen with NO dealers in the entire NYC area for either.

All that being said, I'd wait for the new MA Silver Series before plucking down money.

The current Silver Series should start being closed-out soon. I'd keep an eye out @ http://www.saturdayaudio.com/ over the next coming weeks.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10157
Good info Chris...looks like they have good deals goin' right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 864
Yes, closing down prices is something to keep in mind. Thanks CM, another thing to consider.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2783
George, I've never seen my MA cones jumping like that man. I think the audio track is out of sync with the video too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2632
I agree with David. Even at loud volumes I have never seen the cones on my 6's jump like that. Wierd.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10164
He won't see it long either. He won't have speakers that function for long at that rate.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2786
That's what I was thinking too. I've seen my Sttafs jump a little before (nothing like the video, though) and it concerned me enough to turn it down.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12891
They ain't subs, man.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2789
After already had my Sttaf woofs replaced once, I'm not about to repeat that again.

Silver Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 208
sent you a pm.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us