Integrated amp problems.

Username: Steviebai

Post Number: 1
I am using a sherwood integrated amp. I have had this amp for a few years now never had a problem. I moved house last year, and it was packed away for about a year. I recently used it to play music at a friends house and connected it to the laptop no problem.
so i decided to connect it back up when i got it home. When i plugged the laptop in the sound was very distorted and the bass wasnt coming through and other times the bass is loud but the treble messes about. The sound is very quiet as well. I checked the speakers and they are fine, and the laptop is working fine. When i plugged the headphones directly into the amp and the problem was started again, i checked the fuses and all and they seem ok. Now when i turn it on, it sounds as if the amp is not earthed. Sorry if this is long winded. Can anybody help.

Regards
stevie.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13701

"Now when i turn it on, it sounds as if the amp is not earthed."

Meaning what? There is a loud hum?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3686
What input are you using? Please tell me it's not the Phono input (if your Sherwood has one). If so, it could be that the Phono input has a turntable gain stage which could do pretty much what you've described.

Post Number: 2
Yes there is a loud hum now. Jan Vigne,

Post Number: 3
I am connecting the laptop up through the auxillary phonos sockets using a phono to check jack cable. As i have allways done in the past. I am not sure what the turntable gain stage is.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3695
OK, but you're using the Aux input. Well, that should be standard line input. Is the hum coming from the unit itself or the speakers?

Post Number: 4
Yes Aux input, the hum is coming from the speakers, what i have allways used when using this amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13761

Disconnect everything other than the speakers. With no signal coming into the amp, there should be no noise. If there is silence, then you probably need a new cable for the connection to your laptop.

If there is the same noise in the no signal situation, you need to have the unit serviced. There are numerous causes for the noise you describe, the most common being a defective capacitor. Ask for an estimate of the repair costs and then decide whether the unit is worth saving.

Post Number: 5
I will try that now and see how it goes, i will keep ya posted thank you.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 783
When a similiar problem happened with me where the sound was distorted quiet and unbassy it was because of a fuse that had gone.
This was a standard glass fuse in a NAD 3130 which was easy enough to replace with a quick order of the right part number from a website.
The hum though could be something different (or more than one fuse gone?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us