Energy Subwoofer for 2.1 system

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 242
I am considering picking up the Energy S-10.3 800-Watt 10-Inch Subwoofer. My system is NAD325BEE and Wharedale Evo2 8's. I'm looking to spend under $200 and this subwoofer fits. Are Energy subs good musical subs? Any suggestions for a sub $200 sub?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2020
It is a good HT sub. Costco has one of the Energy Subs for sale. I do not recall which model number.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12794
Energy makes good subs, as long as you don't over-extend them.
Great for music on a 2.1, small room.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 244
Well, the Energy sub I was looking at only has a single lfe input and speaker level no RCA. Can I run both Rca's into a Y connector into the lfe input?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2033
Yes, but the receiver should indicate which one to use for mono output so you would not have to use a "Y" connector.

Then again two subs would sound much better, IMO.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12821
Just use the speaker level inputs. Voila!
I prefer those for music as opposed to LFE, which is movies.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 245
The amp doesn't indicate which to use. In fact, it does not even mention a sub in the owners manual.

I may go ahead and get the Evo2 10's and ditch the sub.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 246
Nuck, if I use the speaker wire connection can I set the cross over on the sub?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12828
Te XO will still work, Mord, but the intention of that adjustable crossover is for mains speakers, although you seen to lack that.

Nevermind, feed the sub full range and let the amp do the figguring

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 247
Not sure what Te XO means. What do you mean by feed the sub full range and let the amp do the figuring?

Nuck, do you have the Evo2 10's? If so, what do you think of their bass? While I am enjoying the lower frequencies with the sub I am having problems from recording to recording with how well the sub blends with the 8's? Does the NAD know to send the lfe to the sub and none to the speakers? If so, shouldn't this improve the dynamics of the 8's?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12832
Mord, you are now experiencing the sound of real recordings without cheap add-on SQ.
Enjoy the recordings, or look for better ones.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2750
I'm using a sub on my 2 channel system too (gasp!). Using speaker level inputs from the amp to good effect. I set the xo on my sub amp to the lowest it goes (50 hz). My speakers go lower than that, so theres some overlap, but it still sounds good.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2751
oh yeah, the Energy subs from what I've heard are quite ok.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 833
The Energy subs are quite good for HT but just adequate for music. You need to spend a little more for a decent muscial sub.
My recommendation for a decent musical sub is KEF. Not sure how available and at what prices in your area Mord but I do like the KEF subs for music, at least at the lower cost level.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 248
I am open to other suggestions for a musical sub. What are the differences between a musical sub and a HT sub?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 250
STO has the Wharfedale SW-150 Powered Subwoofer for $219. It was designed for the Diamond series. From the reviews I've read it is more of a musical sub then HT sub.
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/4a4f825800dde3f42740ac100341064e/Pro duct/View/2821

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12844
REL 8" sealed sub tends to be musical, as opposed to a ported12" unit, which recreates explosions.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 262
I've gone back to a 2.0 system for a while to see if I miss the sub. I've looked at subs to go with my speakers and I would have to spend around $500 to get a musical sub. So, I may be back to considering buying the 10's and staying with a 2.0 system. I going without a sub for a while after having one for a few weeks will be the best test for me.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2791
I've recently gone the 2.0 route Mord. I don't miss the sub at all. In fact, my system has never sounded better.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 263
I will see how I like it. I just could not get the sub to balance out. Is either to loud or not loud enough. Mostly has to do with the recording qaulity I'm sure. I will live with what I have for now. Maybe these mid's will loosen up with more hours and I will be satsifed. If not, I will be looking for something different. I may check out the Swans. I know Tauwan said they had more low end then the Evo's and the tweeter was similar.

Bronze Member
Username: Pgee

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 15
The Energy on sale at Costco is a good deal for the money....

You have at least 90 days to use it and then return it no questions asked at Costco, so that part is great for giving it a try
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us