Dynaudio's active Focus 110A's anybody?

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 309
Anybody heard these guys? Owned the Focus 140's a few years ago and liked them, and am quite intrigued by the active 110A. Using active speakers the last year or two I've become quite a believer in ditching passive crossovers where one can, passive XO's seem to suck a bit of life from the music to my ears.

Dont have a chance to hear these 110A's south of the equator so hoping for a few opinions. cheers

B.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3665
News to me. I'll have to ask about them...

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 310
Thanks Frank.

Some promising early opinion here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dynaudio/active.html

I'm particularly interested in whether the active version offers any advantage in low volume listening. I'm thinking of going back to some bookshelves as I've just moved into an apartment that's a bit too small to do my open baffles justice, and I'm afraid of giving up low level dynamics after living with Bastanis and Feastrex high efficiency crossoverless drivers the last year or so.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3345
Good to hear from you again, Bvan.

A lot of active speakers don't actually have active crossovers, rather they just have amps attached. These appear to have active crossovers. I've heard a few systems with active crossovers, and they were so much better than their passive counterparts. Naim, Linn, and Bryston systems do active XO very well. I'm sure there are others.

If I weren't so in love with my system, I'd definitely look into those speakers. But if they're very revealing, I'd make sure I got a very good pre-amp.

If you're looking for an excellent bookshelf non-powered, track down Audio Physic. They're a bit easier to find overseas than here in the States

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3671
All active loudspeakers with multiple drive units must have an active crossover by definition. The active crossover comes before the amplifiers that are connected to the drive units. The crossover and amplifiers can either be external to the speaker (a la Naim) or they can be integrated but still external to the speaker (a la early Linn) or they can be completely integrated to the speaker (which is most common nowadays).

In the full range speaker design (Feastrex, Lowther, Aurousal and other EJ Jordan based projects for example), there is absolutely no crossover. The amplifier is connected directly to the drive unit in the speaker.

There are also halfway houses. For example, in the Wilson benesch Arc, the amplifer is directly connected to the main drive unit and there is a filter in the speaker to the treble unit. This is more difficult to design since you need very tight production tolerances to guarantee the performance envelope of the drive units being matched in order to avoid midrange forwardness.

Username: Ipaul

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I own a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A active speakers.
I have only had them for 5 days but I can say that they are exceptional little speakers. I was not able to audition them so I purchased them on the basis that they are active and therefore should be much better than my passive speakers. I was right. I am well versed in the advantages of active speakers and used this knowledge, as well as my budget, as my guide that led me to these little gems.
For the first time I am hearing sound that does not appear to be coming from the speakers at all, but rather from between or behind them much more convincingly.
They are very resolving, cymbals have never sounded better and all instruments are more real sounding. The music is sort of projected effortlessly at the listener rather than being forced with the urge to turn up the volume as with my previous speaker amp combo which are very good and would, when new, together cost double what the 110A's sell for.
I am not going to comment too much since they are not broken in yet and I haven't had a chance to play with positioning, although I only expect them to get better.
I am very pleased and would highly recommend them especially with good sources and preamp each of equivalent cost to these speakers or more. I have been waiting for an "affordable" active speaker and these are the ones for me. Active is definitely the way to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us