PL-990 Stylus Question

Username: Chiefchimpy

Post Number: 1
Hello clever people,

I replaced a PL-990 (Pioneer belt drive with built in pre-amp) standard stylus with a PTPL0990I which is an upgrade according to lpgear.com.

I had a hell of a time getting the original one off, but the new one popped in easy. I have output, but I'm sure it's much quieter than it should be. Would there be a difference in the output level based on the stylus? Is it possible I damaged the headshell removing the old one? Is it possible I don't have the new one on right?

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12686
Ross, try this tool to find the output from both carts.

http://www.cartridgedb.com/

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13678

The stylus does not affect the output of the cartridge if it is properly mounted. Recheck your work to make certain the stylus assembly is in place as it should be and, if you are still having problems, contact the retailer for the stylus replacement.

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys! Took the stylus off this morning with a bit more light to see what I was doing and reapplied it. Sounds better than last night. I don't think I had it mounted right.

Nick, that's a great tool, I'll keep it bookmarked for future use, though I only replaced the stylus, not the cartridge on this occasion.

However, after reading countless turntable discussions, I've decided my turntable is crap and I'll look into getting something better in the near future. Also, my AV system is a crappy Sony HTIB I really need to replace.

Thanks again for your time, guys!

Post Number: 4
oops double post, sorry.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us