Rega Isis and Other Goodies

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9942
http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/252411.aspx

Rega is gearing up for an all out assault on the Hi End with the new Isis Cd player, Osiris amp and P10 turntable...could new speakers be far behind?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2245
They have the new RS series but I guess you mean higher end to go with the Isis etc. The Isis no doubt will be some machine but the cosmetics don't appeal to me at this point.

There's also talk of an Apollo Mk11 along the SE lines. If Rega release that then there will be many disgruntled SE owners around the world (500) who were promised something unique for our money. We will wait and see.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9945
It seems that something above the RS series may be in the offing.

I too am not enamored of the cosmetics of the Isis and have no intention of paying the price...ever. But damn that thing probably sounds fabulous!

An Apollo MkII would likely not share the outstanding casework and other extra goodies that yours has...I would be happy if it had the innards.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2246
It seems something might be happening Art. One on-line store here is selling the Apollo for about $400 less and the Saturn for almost $500 less.

When I get around to taking my amp in I'll ask the dealer what he knows. I hope also to hear a Saturn - but maybe I shouldn't. However, I believe the SE sounds really gorgeous and maybe my next upgrade (someday) will be main speakers.

I think Rega's new offers will have to contend with those new kids on the block too - Leema!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9946
Just took a look at the Leema lineup...completely unfamiliar with them...looks very intrigueing.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12654
An Apollo II would likely include a digital in, which would peeve a few, but maybe on a standard Apollo platform?
But not as ugly as this Isis.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2581
Man, that Isis is damn ugly. It better sound as good as its price tag. I wish it well though. Rega is in some serious need of competing against the likes of Naim and some others. I am sure Rega is sick of being dubbed, the company that is good, but not quite hi end. I would like to see this new stuff be considered as good as a high end Naim piece. Bring it on Rega. Just put a dress on that CDP, nobody wants to see that thing naked.lol Hey I am shallow, what can I say. :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9951
Play it in the dark Nick!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2584
LOL!!!. As long as it makes noise I am happy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12663
Nick, go make babies.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9956
LOL...!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2590
LMAO!!!! Working on it Nuck!!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3339
Stereophile said the final products won't look like that. Am I crazy, or is it just everyone else...

Rega brings a non-working prototype to a show. The CD player won't look like that. The integrated will look a little like that. I think two empty black metal boxes with something like 'Next Rega CDP' and 'Next Rega Integrated' written on them with a silver sharpie marker would have been just as effective.

No one's heard them, knows what they'll look like, no specs, and no one knows how much they'll cost. Again, what am I missing here? If you're launching a product, shouldn't you have just a little more to talk about?

Maybe they're hanging out at the bar like LLoyd Christmas to "put out the vibe."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2597
lol Yeah, not really sure what the marketing strategy is Stu. Weird.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10007
There have been rumours surrounding what's next for Rega for quite sometime. The recent release of a speaker line without a model that even pretends to be in the same league as the R9 just emphasized that much more that they have something up their sleeve...the only thing I can figure is that this is confirmation and to build a sense of anticipation. Who knows...it's all rather odd.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2253
My dealer told me the Isis and the new amplifier will be about $12000AUD each here. He hopes they change the looks as well.

Anyway - quit dreaming.

Oh, and there'll be some news in the cd section soon, I had a special house guest . . .

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13689

"Rega brings a non-working prototype to a show. The CD player won't look like that. The integrated will look a little like that. I think two empty black metal boxes with something like 'Next Rega CDP' and 'Next Rega Integrated' written on them with a silver sharpie marker would have been just as effective."

Product introductions at shows are all about getting the buzz started. Apparently this one worked. What would you complian about if you were Roy Gandy?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3341
I'm not Roy Gandy.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2260
What would you complian about if you were Roy Gandy?

Nothing, seeing as how many of us here on Ecoustics have probably paid for his new house :-)

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10062
Indeed MR.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3667
It would take considerable and skillful discussion for a dealer to convince Rega customers that rega is in the $12k space. I'm not sure I could do it - unless they came out with something really quite remarkable.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3347
Very good point Frank. I've always felt a lot of companies have the capability to make stuff well beyond their common price and performance points. I have no doubt that Rega can make something that is very competitive at that price range. The only problems I foresee are does it really make sense for them from a business standpoint, and will the public accept a Rega product in that price range, regardless of performance?

Its kind of like if Sony made an over $100k system. I have no doubt they have the resources and capability to make a system that'll compete with and beat the best products ever made. I don't think it fits their business model, and how many people could be convinced that the same company that makes $10 alam clock radios can make the best sounding stereo ever?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2267
Don't forget guys, that the 12 grand is Aud. As we always seems to get ripped off here, not just by exchange rates, but by profiteering distributors, I think that number will be much lower in US and British currencies.

I have no doubt Rega can make an outstanding cdp and amp, but the reviewers will have to see it that way for their success. I know the Apollo is in a different leaugue, but look at the rave reviews that vitually exploded into the world of hi-fi.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3677
Hmmm, I've seen £5998 bandied about elsewhere. That is a huge amount of money for a Rega product. However, the current thinking in the market place is that it is the luxury goods part of the market which is bucking the credit crunch. In other words, those with money last year still generally have money this year and so can still go for their luxury items. It's the middle market and lower which is suffering hugely because the traditional buyer in that market is suffering from market anxiety, job security worries and 'wait and see' approach to see if they can afford the item in the medium term.

Therefore, this could be a very sensible move on Rega's part. But I must admit that when we were talking with them about the Isis 4 years ago, they were talking about £3k, not £6k...

Frank.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2271
That gels with about 12 grand in Aussie dollars on the exchange rate, Frank.

If you walk around the shopping centres here you see no signs of a global recession. Spending may be a catharseris I guess.

Worked for me :-)

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2736
The same thing here M.R. The malls are packed - people spending money everywhere. Then again, Ottawa being a capital and federal town, is in somewhat of a bubble.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3684
The governments are desperately trying to stimulate their economies out of the stupor they're in, which is driving up spending. Next year, or year after, they'll have to start paying back all the money and that means heavy taxes one way or another. So people might be buying now, but next year they'll stay clear of the shops because they won't have cash in their pockets. It's bad enough that we could face another recession.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2287
I think you are quite right Frank - our government has put this country into some very serious debt.

People are buying in shopping centres here for sure - but just about everything is on sale most of the time, so the figures don't tell the whole story especially the one of heavilly reduced profits.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3693
I'm scared silly by the situation actually. John Major (ex prime minister) was on telly the other day. Now although he was voted out as one of the most unloved PMs in history he presided over (engineered?) one of the most buoyant and productive periods in history (the 90s) even though he had to go through a gulf war. He mentioned that the UK's deficit level is now £179Bn (that's about $270Bn) and that this is unprecedented. In his day he had brought the level down to some £50Bn thanks to the buoyant markets in the 90s. All that work seems to have been lost. his main concern was that even though we had it pretty good since 1997, the government has not been saving for a rainy day - and the rainy day has arrived...

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 83
I am for my sins self employed, in what is left of the heavy engineering industry in the UK. If we make it through the next 18 months, then it may start to get a little better. Till then its a case of survive how you can. The number of engineering projects that have to be done, but can not be, (lack of finance) is scary. At some point something is going to fail rather dramatically. All of this because of a sea of easy credit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12980
I hope you built on cash, colin.

Good to see you again.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10474
http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2377
Well they didn't change the design - very unfortunate.
Not for me though. $12000AUD for a cd player - geez not when there's a bathroom and kitchen to be renovated, overseas holidays and another car in the future. If that sort of money is spent on a cdp what sort of system should be matched with it - the mind and bank account boggles.

I love my Saturn - even the price for that makes wives heads spin.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10478
I'd be satisfied with The Saturn, but the Isis does make me drool. Just reading about the design is awesome. It should be one special sounding piece and it's meant to be your last cd player.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13100
For such well-heeled folks, nothing will ever be the last of anything that we musicado's so covet.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 466
12k$ for the new Isis? ouch.

Will the Apollo II have balanced outs? or will that be reserved for higher price points.
Would anyone trade such outputs for a digital 'in'?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2897
12k for a CDP? Wow, and I thought I was nuts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13107
Like I said before, Leo, I thought the saturn was oversold without a dig in.
I thought the Apollo SE should have had the digital in for effect and value.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 467
My 840c has both balanced and 2x dig inputs
(fingertips rub shirt)
After initial teething problems (boy, what a gloss-over, gotta be honest!) the player has performed flawlessly.
The Highly Regarded Apollo would have been on the menu, had it been offered at what is apparently the new price of 1k$, down from 12 or 13 hundred, same as I paid for the CA player. New MSRP for the CA is about 1700?

I don't have ISIS money in my entire system!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2899
Didn't you go through a lot of grief with your 840C Leo? I seem to remember something about that.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 468
Yes, sir, I did indeed have some problems.
In retrospect, I blame UPS or FEDEX or whoever delivers to my CA dealer.
The Dealer was aces and 110% there!
The E-mail chat with whoever at CA was, however.....unrewarding......

Still, a player to be reckoned with.....

I don't see how any player costing 10x what I paid could be WORTH 10x?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10487
I hope to find out one day...but at a lower cost of admission, perhaps used.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13112
I always looked at the 840. It seems to do it all, and very well, by all accounts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13113
I don't have Isis money in my wettest dreams. I need to hear the Mac 301, however...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2902
The 301 is a fair bit more attainable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13131
The saps offered me real money for part of a kidney, so maybe the 301 is attainable.
The liver is off the table, however...
I offered fava beans, too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13132
fff fff ffff ffff

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2905
HAHAHAH! I can just picture Hannibal right now.

My liver isn't worth much either. High mileage and the warranty is expired.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3774
The Rega rep (ex-Naim) brought in the Isis for an evaluation. Unfortunately he didn't have the Osiris since it's still being finished. Into a Naim amp, it sounded a bit polite apparently, very smooth and the build quality was exceptional, but a bit lacking in snap. Now this could be because it wasn't being used in balanced mode which we would expect to have a lot more presence, so we're still interested in it, but £6k is a lot to spend.

Oh! And Rega have just announced price reductions here on the Apollo and Saturn - about 15% less. I'm well pleased since it'll mean the Apollo is under £500.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2388
Oh! And Rega have just announced price reductions here on the Apollo and Saturn - about 15% less. I'm well pleased since it'll mean the Apollo is under £500.

THAT'D BE BL00DY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13148
hehe, M.R.

caveat emptour

it happens, mate.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3779
It's almost unheard of, especially in this climate!

Sorry MR! Hey, you don't fancy buying my 3 year old Naim CDX2 for half price do you? :-) You can guarantee Naim prices won't go down...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13187
I will ship newer Totem Mani-2's than Franks!!!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2402
Frank, I sure would have. At one stage I was checking Ebay UK for just that model. But the Saturn gives me pleasure and it will our main source for quite some time - especially since I made that promise.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3784
MR, I was taking the p1ss...!

Nuck, No way am I shipping my totems, well, not with the speaker stands!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13205
I have to seriously listen to the Saturn and a Mac300 when I shop in the spring.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2406
I know you were Frank, but I had seriously considered a used X2 if it could have been acquired for the right price. Trouble being - there was never a right price!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2407
Nuck, you might want to add the Cary CDP's to that list.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13209
I know that the list will grow, M.R., and thanks.
If I have to keep it to something, it will likely be balanced.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13210
I think that balanced is the minimum that I should look at.
I appreciate the concept and the principles of balanced operation.
The Classe kit that I sold off (sniff) was balanced front to back, and I still believe that it is the right thing to do.

Blanced cdp's folks?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3434
I sound like a broken record or a skipping CD...

Bryston BCD-1 and BDA-1. Both have balanced outs.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10547
Certainly should be anyone's short list.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2408
The Cary's are balanced Nuck as are the Brystons, also worthy of an audition.

That is if you don't want to go high end Naim :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 876
The Cary 303/300 is a fine machine.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 275
About a month back, I had the Rega Saturn feeding a McIntosh C220.....feeding (first) a McIntosh MC252 amp and then (second) a McIntosh MC352 amp; which through a two week period fed my Jamo C803, Jamo C807 and my new Jamo C809 speakers.

I have to tell you, HolyFriggin'WOW!!

Musical paradise!

The Saturn, the synergy of the Mac C220 and those Mac amps ....these Jamo speakers; breathtaking.

That's my ultimate musical system!!! For my personal tastes and preferences, that is.

I already had owned the C220 (and MC252) a few years ago, but had to sell it during the divorce/speration.

But now, I bought another one!!! As they say......The McIntosh C220 is IN THE HOUSE!!!

Now I'm feverously saving for both the MC252 and MC352 (which will have to be a previously owned purchase).

Will probably take me 10-12 months to save for and buy both. But I'm going Mac.

I already knew the Mac and Wharfedale Opus 2 match was sublime. And I had my thoughts on geting back to that.

But after hearing the synergy between the Mac gear and not only the Wharfedale Opus2, but also the sweet synergy with the Jamo C80 Series. That's it.

Rega Saturn and Apollo........two Mac c220 and the mc252 and mc352....with my Wharfedale Opus and Jamo C80 speakers. Sweet synergy.

That's the system I'm shooting for and planning for.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13222
I am definately going to upgrade the cdp.
The Mac 300 is in play, but the Bryston player has my attention, the price has dropped a good bit to something that I will pay.

The mac/Rega combo is nothing to be sneezed at, to be certain, but I like the pages that have been written on the Bryston unit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Well, go for the Bryston.

If that's what you prefer......Go For It!!

I may at some point, finally get myself that second Rega Saturn.....that I've been procrastinating about...for three years

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2409
I'm with you on the Saturn Nmy, I've been leaving ours on 24/7 with the display off and I have to say the music is sublime. Apart from PRaT and intricate detail, there is a liquid quality to the sound that makes me want to hear music for hours on end. But other things do get in the way.

Nuck I know the Bryston has a great rep and is certainly worth trying, though the one thing I like for longetivity in the Rega's and Naim's is their loading arrangements - much fewer moving parts. Though I haven't had much trouble with disc trays in the past, I have heard of problems from others.

The lower end (high end for me) Cary CDP1 had a disc tray that was so incongruous to the build of the player it wasn't funny - it felt like it belonged to a flimsy cheapie from Kmart. Apart from some blown out bass in the lowest of registers (most likely because of my speaker arrangement) it was a fine sounding player and I can only imagine how good their higher end ones would be.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13226
Hmmm..I have heard the Cary 300, but I have not loaded it.
Good to know I can pass on the CDP1, M.R.
And yes, the 3 puck chuck is superior to other loaders, but the space is premium. That is one consideration with the Apollo here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2722
fwiw when you open up the Bryston CDP's door, it feels like I could almost take a seat on it. Wicked solid. Built like a dirty s#!t house.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 650
Nuck, have you given any consideration to using the Apollo as a transport, and going the high-end DAC route instead ? If you are entertaining a computer setup at some point in the future, you'd scratch two itches at once. This doesn't get you to fully balanced, but something to consider perhaps.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3788
I have recently been very impressed with Electrocompaniet's more expensive player which has balanced operation. It swings like a b*st*rd.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3435
Electrocompanient makes a musical anything? That's new to me.

I've heard them two or three times. I almost fell asleep. Maybe it was the rest of the system?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3790
Two complete Electrocompaniet systems. One 'cheap', one not. Both very engaging. We were so impressed we're going to stock it! That said, I doubt it'll be a big seller for us. The brand is not well known and the name (to be frank) sounds too different for a lot of people. I also wish the finish - though solid like proverbial brick outhouses - were a little less agricultural.

Still, we'll see how we go with it, but we have been very impressed indeed.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 84
having heard the new CD player. I think I will have to sell the wife.

I am a fan of the Rega sound in general, (two exceptions the carts, and the Mira) but that CD player is awsome. Just pure music, I heard it at a dealer demo, through Naim amps and B&W speakers. The 'competition' was from Class- Naim (Cd3 + psu and 555? with psu). Only there was no competition. Any musical genre played and Rega just let music flow, no Digital nasty, NO grain, everything just sounded superb. It also looks much, much better in the flesh than the photo's suggest. Superb build quality.

If the matching amp is in the same class then Rega have just re written the rule books on where they stand in the hi-fi chain, and will be on top tier.

I have no chance of owning a system that costs as much as something like a toyota avensis or Volvo V50, but for the first time I have heard something that makes me wish I could.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10939
I keep reading that the Isis is very special indeed.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2176
How much do you hope to get for the wife?

LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 2557
What, looking at another upgrade Mike?

I image the Isis would do very nice things for music - but gee, it'd want to for 12 grand au!

Then the Naim CD555 is over 20 grand here. Anyway they're not in my world.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2177
Not in mine either...

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
Has anyone heard what the USA price tag is on this Isis player?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 364
I'll be buying one for sure, that is assuming that I win the lottery.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2689
http://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/the-rega-isis-cd-player/

Here's an interesting review on the Isis. Those with a yearning for CD/DAC might be a little disappointed with the non support of 24/96 sampling.

Username: Cheapugg

LawellLondon

Post Number: 10
I like the article, but that from the article I know maybe we can be good friends.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11579
What!?!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14195
Aww Art,you old smoothie,ya still got it!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11580
Sure...

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
I'll have to take the Layaway path. I should have the Isis paid off and in my home by 2014.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14215
NMT, your dealer should take a Saturn at full value back, then you get the Isis.
Simple, no?
Then pony up the other 4 digits...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11599
...and thumb.

Silver Member

Post Number: 374
Okay Nuck, then I should have it by 2013

Ah, I don't want to give up the Saturn. I love my Saturn.

Screw it. I'll just keep the Saturn.

I am due for a nice bonus soon. Maybe I'll put a portion of it away and save the rest up over the next 10-12 months. Or how ever long it takes.

I don't know, I'm intrigued to hear how the Isis would sound with my C220 and MC252. I wonder if the Isis is more analytical or sterile than the Saturn? I'd hate to lose that nice warmth of the Saturn.

Hell, for that price I may as well save for the MCD 301.

I'd sure hate for my system to no longer play my 70's rock and hard rock music well.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11602
There's a thread about the Isis on Pink Fish...a long read.

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
Thanks Art, I read tonight.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11826
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73928

It appears that a tubed Isis is on the way!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us