Mordaunt-Short MS908 vs Jamo C 607

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11672
Which is better and why? Are their any others you would recommend that might be in a higher price range. Im looking for a speaker that covers the low frequency range.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9936
Shoulda known with the moniker Insearchofbass...lol!

We have one fella here who has considerable experience with Jamo...hopefully he will be along soon to help ya.

Wish I could remember who...dagnabbit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11673
"Shoulda known with the moniker Insearchofbass...lol!"

LOL

Do you know anything about Mordaunt-Short?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9937
I've listened to a couple of their standmounts and they are very nice sounding but I'm afraid they would not be your cup-o-tea. The Jamo's are probably more like it. Another speaker that may excite you...even though it's a small standmount is the Totem Rainmaker...man that little booger has bass...another one that sounds nice and neutral and has prodigious bass output would be the NHT Classic 3. They can be had for very good prices now. I think I have a better feel for what you are looking for now.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9938
BTW the Classic 4 is damn near full range....very nice bass.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2691
Cut to the chase:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/cerwinvega_cls215.htm

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=40731406&source=EWBBASE&cm_mmc=CSE-_-google -_-ewbbase-_-Electronics&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=40731406

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2580
The gent will all the Jamo gear I believe is NmyTree. FWIW.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9939
That's him Nick...there ya have it Sean, just PM NMyTree.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11674
Any other recommendations? Also where are the totem rain makers?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9943
http://www.totemacoustic.com/

http://www.totemacoustic.com/resellers/

http://www.totemacoustic.com/products/compact/rainmaker/

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9947
What is your price range Sean...most importantly what are the characteristics that you most desire in a new speaker and why?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11676
I really think its in the 1300 range. I want a speaker that is warm and balanced in all regions with a neutral sounding tweeter. I want it to present the music well at low volumes as well. Something I found not all speakers do well. Im really looking for a speaker that covers the low end well too so I get a full range sound that mates with the speakers well. Something I think a seperate powered sub wouldnt do just quite right.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9948
http://store.nhthifi.com/Four_2

These are just a bit more than your budget but I really think they are the ticket. I have a friend who owns a hifi store and spent most of his life listening to ultra hi end gear. He recently moved into a smaller home (with a new partner) and downsized his system from his Apogee's with 2 servo subs to the NHT Classic 4's and is happy with them...HE LOVES QUALITY BASS and he is very happy with the low end performance of these speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2582
What are the Totem Staffs worth around the southern neck of the woods Art?

Monitor Audio Silver RS6's. Hey I am not trying to market them because I have a pair, but you can ask my bud David Mitchell, these things slam hard. And hard they slam. For a little tower speaker, they hit harder than any speaker with their measurements I have heard. But do it right, not like a sub. Just throwing idea's out there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11677
Would they hold a candle to the nht classic four? Keep in mind I want a full range sound including bass frequencies in the mid 30's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2585
I have never heard the NHT 4's, so I wouldn't know. The RS6 is a full range speaker, with yes, full range sound. I am sure the Classic 4's do everything well too. So do the Totem's. Just trying to give you a few more options that's all. There is a lot of options though.lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2586
I would hope the RS6's and Totems would hold a candle to the NHT's being they are a 800 dollar speaker. I think the MA's are around 1300 US plus taxes Sean.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9952
Not sure what the Totems go for here, I think around $1800. I'm kind of going for the KO here. The NHT's have a full relatively warm sound with a fat well controlled bass...it goes deeper and feels like it goes deeper than the MA's by quite a bit. No smoke and mirrors with the NHT it's just one rich sounding speaker. Both the Totem and the MA are gonna be leaner sounding than the NHT. I prefer the MA and Totem to the NHT but not because they are better but because I tend to like a leaner sound...you seem like you prefer a rich warm blooded sounded and I think the NHT's deliver it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9953
The NHT's are $749 ea, when they were sold in retail stores they were about $2000 per pair.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2588
Yeah, let me back up here and stand with Art on this one Sean. The MA's and Totems are going to give lobs of detail and grab you by the throat and throw you around. Probably not for you then. If the NHT's in fact go lower (wholly crap) and are a rich, warm sounding speaker, then they sound like they are the speaker to lean towards.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2589
ohhhhh each, sorry missed that detail. That seems more fair then.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9954
The 27 hz bass extension ain't no joke either fella's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11678
Ok I think ill pull the trigger on the nht classic 4's.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12662
Mani 2's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9955
Can you send your last speakers back for a refund so you can recoup that dough....you know trial period and all.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11679
I am having a hard time finding their power handling.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11680
Yes I can. Those mani's are bookshelf.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9957
The Mani 2 is a fine speaker...very difficult to drive and about $4000...it's also not as warm as the NHT's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11681
Nuck im not that rich.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11682
Am I going to be able to drive the classic 4 with my receiver Art since theres no amp for the 10's?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12665
Probably, Sean, those NHT's have never been too hard to drive.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11683
Im having second thoughts on spending that much.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9959
You'll be able to drive 'em and you'll still have room for growth. If you want to move up in amp quality one day the 4's are good enough to take the ride with ya.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12667
And you might, Sean.
I ain't so sure that your receiver, setup and arrangements are ready for big steps like $$.

Sit back, maximize your room and ebjoy the music for a while.

Let sommore experienced buyers and listeners(addicts) off er sommore advice.
Dude, I spent so much on hifi over the years, and others are like me, pump us for advice.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9960
Do what your budget allows..don't let us spend your money. If you can do it comfortably that's one thing but don't be buying just to buy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11684
Oh man did I find my speaker Vienna Acoustics. I heard these in my local best buy and I love them.

Vienna Acoustics - Mozart Grand is in that same range as the nht's rrrg.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12668
Sean, you need a proper amp to make the Vienna's sing.
But if you like them, you can build around them, I guess.

We need a synergy 101 class.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11685
vienna is out

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/512039.html

"You see, the only true negative I came away with on the Mozart Grands, was that they failed misrably with strong, low bass material."

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12669
What did you hear them powered with, in a crowded store, placed in an aisle, that you found so intrigueing?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11686
They were in a sound proof room. And actually it was a pioneer elite receiver but I remember now the guy did say my nad wouldnt be a good fit with them. He said they would drive them but at 4 ohm. As of now I think im going with the jamo c 607's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11687
By the way I listened to some martin logan hydro stats and I didnt care for them much. Imagine that.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9962
From what NMyTree says you should be very happy with the Jamo's...probably more budget friendly as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11688
Yeah they are 600 a set and i like his write up on them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9963
I enjoyed that read as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11690
Jamo 607's are on the way. Check out what i wrote on the t525's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9964
I'll be interested in your impressions of the Jamo's. BTW where did you buy the Jamo's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11691
Amazon.com with free shipping.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9966
Nice to get that free shipping!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11693
haha you better believe it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2591
The guy told you your NAD wouldnt be a good match but was running them on a Pioneer AVR? LOL. Those Best Buy guys are experts in their own world now arn't they.

But hey, it all turned out for you. Congrats on the Jamo's, I hear good things about them. Let us know what you think.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11697
I sure will.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12674
Another opinin on the Jamo would be great.
NMT is gaga over them, so there must be something there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11698
Yeah his comparison to the Vienna's is what convinced me because I love the sound of them. I figured if he likes that sound they must be a good to be chosen over the Vienna's and they probably had similar sound.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12675
They may be voiced similarly, but are priced differently as well.
Vienna make some very sweet looking stuff!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2592
Remember Sean, that NmyTree's listening preference, room acoustics, equipment and such may be way way different than yours. That doesn't mean they are not a great speaker however. I hope it turns out for you. Is there a return policy?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 2142
Another good option would be the DCM TFE-200,its on the slightly warm side of nuetral,but nearly as warm as the Classic 4's which might be a bit to rich but the 200's does have groundshaking bass like the Classic 4's but its tighter and better intergrated with the rest of the speaker and their more dynamic.Their $1k a pair you can get them Directly from DCM free shipping to. At the Rocky Mountain Fest 2 years ago they were running on Jolida's 200 watt monoblocks and they got a lot of press,people thought were much more expensive,their a very nice true fullrange speaker.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9975
I agree Nick...I do think that the Jamo has a good chance to give Sean what he was looking for but I'm sure that the Classic 4's would have worked well. At less than half the price the Jamo's are certainly worth a try...it'll be good to hear someone else weigh in on them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11699
I canceled my order and changed to the classic 4's since it has the built in sub I figure the bass will be more of what I want and it goes pretty low.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2695
Those NHT Classic 4 remind me of these AR ARXP410P which JR was blowing out a few years back, I'm pretty sure they are all gone for good

http://www.acoustic-research.com/homedecor/HomeDecorProductDetail.do?ACTION_TYPE _ID=ACTION_TYPE_PRODUCT_DETAIL&ACTION_CATEGORY_ID=STR_CATEGORY_SPEAKERS&ACTION_P RODUCT_ID=ARXP410P

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9976
Similar idea but a way different execution. I've listened to the Classic 4's with Audio Research mono's and oh my were they good.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11702
Well that makes me glad I decided to get them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2696
I'm afraid to say the EVO2 are still in the box, I'm trying to sell my bro's stands on craigslist (he'll get mine) to make room for (and help fund) the new Sanus DF24 stands; that and I'm still working on the room.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11703
What ohm load amp would i need to power the subs individually?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11704
By the way I just got my blue jean rcas on and I can hear an improvement.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9980
Plenty of time for the Evo's Chris, they ain't goin' anywhere.

Guess I just noticed that you switched to the Classic 4's Sean. You're making me dizzy man!

Don't forget to follow the directions with the classic 4's Sean. There is a piece of foam that goes between the midrange and the tweeter...don't forget to apply it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11705
Ok thanks for the heads up Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9983
Just wait until you get the speakers Sean. If you need an amp for the low end drivers it will be apparent within a few weeks...then we can talk about it. When you get these speakers please take the time to enjoy some music...I have the lowly Evo2-10's playing Chinese orchestral music as I type and damn it sounds good!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11706
Sure thing Art I will take a few weeks of listening. I cant wait! Also these cables seemed to bring a very nice sound. Im pleased I spent the money to get them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2145
How much did you pay for the Classic 4's? I could have swore i saw them for $999 a pair.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9997
I haven't seen them anywhere near that cheap.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11707
How much did you pay for the Classic 4's?

1500 shipped a pair.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11708
They are out of them and I think the sales off anyway.

http://www.daddyodeals.com/phpBB/nht-classic-four-special-dark-pr-4-way-floorsta nding-speakers-974-97-w-free-shipping-was-2-069-99-t42177.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 2149
I know seen them somewhere on the net for $999 a pair i cant remember where,well you should have fun with the Classic 4's their a very good speaker,just so you will know be thinking about some muscullar power they will need it,they crave power as much as you can throw at them,its not a option its a need.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 133
Where did you buy them? You can buy them direct from NHT, or from some authorized retailers. Buy unauthorized though and you'll have no warranty.

http://nhthifi.com/current/store-online.html

The Classic Three looks tempting at $700/pair. As far as I can tell all the retailers are pricing these for exactly what NHT direct is asking.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2151
I really do think that the Classic 4's are worth their retail price,so $1500 isnt bad,its tough to find a good fullrange speaker without paying atleast 06 used car money.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 136
Guess it'll soon be time for a Classic 4 thread.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11709
I bought from audio advisor an authorized dealer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2153
Yep it will be a journey it wont be plug and play with them,their gonna give him is audio degree if he can stick it out,they eat power and everything in the chain must be right or it will brought to a ruthless light its the NHT way always have been always will be.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 137
http://www.listenup.com/library/listenup_tv/CEDIA/NHTClassicSeries.php

Here's a small presentation on the NHT lineup (they mostly cover the 3).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2155
I had the Classic 3's in my house for about 2 months i could never get them to sound right they didnt like my setup they bluntly told me that,I loved their bass though they made me sealed bass believer,its 2 bad the Classic 4's wernt a sealed alignment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11710
I have confidence in these speakers if need be ill add amps to the subs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2157
Oh,you will have to add amps,its not a if,its more like if your gonna have the money to do it and the paitience to keep at it,when you get it right they will tell you.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 251
Well, sorry that I didn't see this thread till tonight. But I am glad Sean found the speakers he was looking for and that fit his tastes.

I have never heard the NHT Classic 4, so I have no idea how they compare to the Jamo C607.

But from what little I have heard and read about the Classic 4's, they seem to be outstanding speakers.

Just as a side note, I truely and honestly wanted to love the VA Mozart Grands. So very much so. I love their cabinet and finish.

But I was highly disappointed in their midrange congestion and convoluted bass. Shame.

But I'm also very glad I turned to the Jamo C607. I saved nyself a lot of money and I love all of my Jamo speakers. Those drivers really are something special. I guess the whole design is. But such a beautifully melodic speaker.

Sean, please come back and tell us all about the NHT Classic 4. I love reading about this stuff and what you guys hear and think about all this gear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2184
I actually heard the Mozart Grands at Magnolia in Best Buy,and of course the setup was hiddious,but from the very little i could hear,I liked them,if you heard them at Magnolia in Best Buy i sure wouldnt make any strong negative opinions about them,Magnolia's setups are negative and oblivious for a so-called hi-end store to begin with,just a little useful advice.I heard the Strauss at the real Magnolia in San Leandro California,that was 7 years ago they are still 1 of the best speakers I've ever heard,to this day,and they were running off the cheaper Krell stuff that was little bright,but Struass's qualities still shined thru.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12694
About time, NMT.
I have been poking around to listen to some Jamo speakers, none to be found so far

Gold Member

Post Number: 2186
I havent found any either,I know im in love with the concept of the Reference R907 & R909,whew open baffle....open baffle!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12696
NMT has a few open baffle designs, if I recall right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2187
I dont think so he has the Jamo C series,and the Opus 2's are his reference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Correct Tawaun.

No, I don't have any open baffle speakers from any manufactor. Not Jamo's Reference R907 & R909, not any.

I have the Jamo C60 Series C603, C607 and C60 Center Channel.

I have the C80 Series C803, C807 and now ......the C809, baby!

Just bought myself a pair of Jamo C809's. Couldn't help myself.. I was so drawn to them. I had been fighting off the urge to buy them for a while. But I finally caved-in

Haven't really done much with them, yet. Still recovering from the car accident back injuries, so I have to wait for my friend to come over and help me move them, move out the C807 and move in the C809.

He loves messing around with gear and coming over to help me with auditioning gear. He's in the hobby too and he loves auditioning.

But I feel like a pain in the you know what, having to rely on someone else to move this stuff around. So now I just wait till he gets the desire to come over and help. Rather than me feeling like a bother for asking.

The only thing I could say about these Jamo C809's, is that they're big boys. Tall, wide, deep and 74 lbs each.

Can't wait to have them hooked up and cranking some music.

I expect them to be very similar to the C807, but a wee-bit better.....a wee-bit bigger sound; but just as musical and probably a little more powerful in the bass region.

And yes, the Wharfedale Opus 2 remain in their main system position, not to be ever moved

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Nuck, if you don't mind me asking.....Where are you located?

By any chance are you close to the Charlotte, North Carolina area?

I'd be more than happy to have you over to audition several Jamo speakers, if you're ever in the area.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12698
NMT, my best wishes for a complete recovery for you.
I am in Toronto area, I connect through Charlotte sometimes, and I am planning a short vacation trip in SC pretty oon, I might connect there going to greenville.
I will PM you.

Thank you for your very kind invitation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
You're welcome, Nuck.

Yes, PM me if you're gooing to be in the area. That would be awesome!

Listen to some tunes

Gold Member

Post Number: 2190
Going to Mertyl Beach Nuck?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2191
Damn Tree you remind me of me,their really is nothing like buying speakers,when you do it feels new all over again.That sucks that your hurt,what did the c809's cost you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
Tawaun,

Just a hair under $1,500.00 for the pair.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2204
Where do you think they compete at in that pricerange?thats a very competitive price bracket.

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
Tawaun, I don't know.

I don't even have them out of the boxes and hooked up, yet. So it's impossible for me to evaluate.

All I could do was open the boxes and take a look at them, while they still sit in their styrofoam bottom pieces.

The black finish, their drivers and those glossy tops look friggin' cool!

They are very sharp looking speakers!!!

That's all I have right now

When I finally get them out, hooked up, burn them in and listen for a while; then I'll post my impressions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2205
Cool,I like Jamo,I hope to hear some,particulary the R907 & R909.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us