Hook up Sub to Reciever?

Username: Photatoe

Post Number: 1
Hi-

i have a powered sub with 1rca output on it, (and of course the cable for the wall to power it)- but thats it.
i want to plug my sub into a reciever that has raw speaker cable inputs (2 for left, 2 for right speaker)
i have a rca splitter: 1 plug to 2 plugs (left and right- or pos/neg)

SO: Do i cut the ends of the rca cords and plug them into the speaker imputs? if so- that will only cover either LEFT or RIGHT- because the splitter only splits into two cords- what is the solution??

thanks alot

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2677
Pretty sure that's not gonna work.

Your sub doesn't have speaker level inputs along with the RCA?

Post Number: 2
nada. it has nothing but the cable to the wall outlet, and the female rca jack. i think there was a cable for it in the past, but it got lost, so im looking for a solution. here are some photos of my set up- the wires that are currently plugged into the receiver are for the speakers- and the wires in the package is the rca splitter- thanks, christine

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2678
It looks like a passive subwoofer (ie: it has no internal amp). Did the sub come with some sort of HTIB (home theatre in a box)?

Post Number: 3
No, although it may just be that it is missing? Any way around it? can the receiver act as its amp? can i take it out of the box, and hook it up just by the speaker? any ideas? thanks for your help david :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2679
Usually passive subs come with HTIBs. The receiver typically has an onboard channel or amp to drive the subwoofer. You're receiver probably won't be able to drive this sub. My advice (which you're probably not gonna like) is to ditch the sub idea, or to buy a cheap sub from your local big box store that has speaker level inputs (and it's own amp). You can use it with your current receiver, and it would be a huge step up from this.

Post Number: 4
success! so turned out that it isnt passive- im guessing, because all i did- is used 'daisy chaining' and added the sub as another speaker:

so my set up looks like this: reciever to sub to speaker 1 to speaker 2 to speaker 3 to reciever. and it works. theres alot of cords- but! it works.

thanks for you insight david-

christine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us