My t525's are here

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11652
After a few minutes of listening im already surprised at the imaging.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9901
Waitin for pics....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11654
I dont have a camera.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9903
Dude, what's that about...lol!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11655
I ordered one and the company ripped me off last time. Maybe ill look for one again.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9904
Ouch, that stinks!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 2115
Damn Sean!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11668
Well I had some more time to listen to these speakers and I must say im impressed. While I already commented on the imaging you would never believe there was just two 5.25's in each speaker. One of the things I like is the tweeters on this speaker are well balanced for the speaker without being too forward and I usually get a tweeter range that bothers my ears but these do not do this which pleases me also. The bass seems to drop lower than what you would expect from the stats and while it drops lower the bass does seem to come out with more authority than you would expect as well. I played three different types of music on the speakers. The first cd was kj 52 which is a rap type of cd second pod (a type of heavier metal cd) and third bebo norman a easy listening type of cd. The speakers did well except for slight coloration in the bass region on kj52 with certain songs otherwise it did its job well once again. Ill also add that these 5.25's seem to out perform the single 6.5's in my athena ls 300's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2136
They really worked with the power response region on the 525T's the 80-500hz range a lot speakers lack in this region even big expensive speakers,this is a area where Danny Richie beleives is important all the av123 speakers are very good here particulary the 525M,525T,X-statics,and SLS's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2137
Well be back guys on my way to pick up the SLS!

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 204
Sean, are you going to compare them to the Evo's or did you cancell your order?

I'm not looking for subwoofer bass just more low end then I'm getting from the 8's. Bass has improved since I change their placement.

Are the 525's stable? I am concerned they can be easily knocked over. I have small grandchildren so I am concerned they can knock them over.

Would you consider these mini towers compared to the Athena's? The seem very narrow. I am considering a pair still but would prefer to hear a side by side comparison between the 10's. The sale ends next Friday so I have some time to think about it.

All the talk about the Wharfies hassnot scared me off. I still may pick up the 10's but I'm not buying both. It will be one or the other.

Do you like the color of the 525's? I really prefer black. Both of these speakers are not my preferred color which is another reason I have not jumped on them.

I also curious to hear a comparison of the tweeters. I consider the Evo's to be a forward sounding speaker. Your description of the 525's sounds like a warmer sound. Are you using a NAD integrated?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11669
Sean, are you going to compare them to the Evo's or did you cancell your order?

I canceled the order.

I'm not looking for subwoofer bass just more low end then I'm getting from the 8's. Bass has improved since I change their placement.

Id still suggest a woofer that fit the range your trying to cover. It would be cheaper and you could still keep the evo 8's.

Are the 525's stable? I am concerned they can be easily knocked over. I have small grandchildren so I am concerned they can knock them over.

They come with a base that the speakers lock into but children could still knock them over.

Would you consider these mini towers compared to the Athena's? The seem very narrow. I am considering a pair still but would prefer to hear a side by side comparison between the 10's. The sale ends next Friday so I have some time to think about it.

I definately like these better than my athenas they claim the t525's only play down to 48 but it sounds lower.

Do you like the color of the 525's? I really prefer black. Both of these speakers are not my preferred color which is another reason I have not jumped on them.

The color is ok and the finish looks decent id call them a light cherry color. Pretty much what the site shows.

I also curious to hear a comparison of the tweeters. I consider the Evo's to be a forward sounding speaker. Your description of the 525's sounds like a warmer sound. Are you using a NAD integrated?

If thats the case with the evo tweeters im glad i didnt get them. The 525 definately isnt forward. And yes im using a nad integrated 372 model 150 x 2 but I think 50 watts would still work on these.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9934
Mordecai...if by forward you mean bright then something else in your system isn't right because the Evo's aren't a bit bright. The midrange is detailed and the vocals forward in the soundstage rather being further back, but not in the least bright.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12652
And NAD has never been accused of such

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 205
I don't think I said they were bright (I'm probably usung the wrong vernacular) but I do think they have a forward sound (vocals) but that could be the music I listen to. When I compared the Acculine A2's to the AV123 XLS Encores the Acculine vocals were more forward (live sound) where as the Encores the vocals were not as forward. I preferred the forward sound and I think the 8's are similar to the Acculine with the mid and upper ranges. But they are not bright at all. I listen to them for hours and I don't get ear fatigue. I just wondered if the 525's sound similar to the Encores.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9940
Gotcha Mordecai...thanks for the clarification

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11689
After listening to the t525's some more I found that certain vocal ranges are unnecessarily set to the background and while these do get low for what they are im looking for more. Onto the jamo c607's and back to av123 the t525's go.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9965
I'm guessing you meant they are not what you are looking for, correct.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11692
Correct they arent. That vocal range problem really bothers me.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9967
Borrow a camera for when you get the Jamo's...must se the setup.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11694
My new pentax digital camera may be here by then 24x optical and beautiful pictures.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9969
Excellent!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11695
http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/pentax/pentax_x70_s00.jpg

Gold Member

Post Number: 2139
You know Mordecai its funny you mention the X-LS Encore's being to laidback,i owned the Classics for 3 years and i just recently got rid of them only because i needed to free up some room and I've heard the XL-S Encore many times,my experiance with the SLS Encore's was totally different than i thought it was gonna be they have the same crossover frequency as the XL-S so I was thinking same sound but bigger,which I've always like the XL-S sound,but to my suprise the SLS was totally different They are more foward and pretty close to neutral,and more foward than ELT as well,i thought the ELT would have a big edge in detail and that wasnt true,just a touch more thru the upper midrange bass tightness was pretty close,they sound much bigger than the 525T's.Then i used the SLS's secret weapon,I loaded 15 pounds of kittyl litter per side in their mass loading chamber,which is a very unusual feature for a speaker at this price,things got better everywhere bass is know ultra tight,the midrange and lower treble became very tangible not far off from the X-Static,but not as dimensial of course but still impressive soundstaging and space pretty damn good layering, vocals are very impressive,bass slam is damn good for a 2-way,overall i actually prefer the SLS Encore's over the 525T's,and i just bought them for home theater because i new they would sound big and dynamic and non fatiging.Its a testament to their ability after I loaded them with the kitty litter,i had planed to listen to them for a little while,because i had got a few new cd's so naturely i wanted to get the X-statics back in the main rig,but then i kept listening an forgot that the big beasts were ready to get back on their thrown,but the SLS's kept impressing me,So needless to say they are still hooked up what a impressive little speaker for $269 their a absolute steal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2140
Sean what is your setup? because the 525T's are very transparent to the source and the rest of your gear,almost like the Arro's but without the brutality if you get it wrong.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9973
NAD C372 amp and C545BEE cd player I believe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2141
I always felt the 372 was kind a warm and laidback with big bass,thats probably the reason why the ELT's sounded laidback with vocals,thats probably just a combination that wont work well.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 207
My NAD 325 does not have a sub out. Is there a way to use a sub if there is not sub out?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9979
Yes it does Mordecai...the pre outs will work just fine. Just looked at my wife's.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 208
Thanks Art. I guess I don't understand how that works and the instruction manual is not clear. Would you mind giving me the skinny on how to do this.

I'm glad you are on. I have question for you. Would you match a sub with the 8's or purchase the 10's? This was Sean's recommendation. I am considering it but I don't really need that much low end. I am really close to ordering a pair tomorrow before STO runs out (If they're not out already).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9981
Depends on the sub Mordecai. Use the pre outs to the line level in on the sub. Always best to look for a sub with a left/right line level in or you need a Y with a summing circuit.

I would purchase the 10's before using a sub. I'm just not a real big fan of subs in 2 channel systems...depending ofcourse on what you listen to. If you rock out alot then perhaps...for my listening they just get in the way.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 209
So the pre outs are for the speaker cable? Or do I use two sub cables?

I'm gonna call STO tomorrow to see if they still have any maple 10's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9984
Interconnects Mordecai an RCA to RCA connection.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 219
Art - I tried hooking my HT sub to the 325. Plugged RCA into right and left in of the sub and the pre out. The music plays through the sub now and the speakers are in active. I can't find anything in the manual about setup. Any suggestions on getting sound through the speakers and sub?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10010
What sub do you have?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 221
It is a JBL Northridge E250P. I thought I would give it a try before buying the 10's. I spoke to Mike at STO and they still have Maple for sale and the sale will continue until they are gone.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10012
From the NAD's pre outs (after you remove the jumpers) to the subs rca in's. The sub has a L/R RCA in correct?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10013
On your sub the L/R RCA in is labeled Line Level In.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 222
Yes it is.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10014
Did you get it done Mordecai...?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 223
That is how I had it hooked up earlier and the speakers did not play. Everything came through the sub. When I removed the jumpers to plug in the RCA's into the pre -out do I put a jumper in the main in plugs?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10015
Take the jumper out and put them somewhere you can find them later...you won't need them for now..then follow the instruction above.

It's my wife's birthday so I just prepared a meal and gettin' ready for cake and a movie...I'll check in later.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 224
I hooked up according to the instructions above and all frequencies come through the sub and nothing out of the speakers. I think the internal amp is bypassed in this configuration. So, I must be doing soming wrong.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10017
You connected interconnects between the 325's pre out's and the JBL's line in and no sound. Do you still have the speakers connected to the amp? I'm at a loss as I would have to be talking to you to figure what's not working.

Off to watch a movie.

Again let me highlight...pre amp out on 325BEE to line in on sub using a stereo set of interconnect and change nothing else in the setup.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 138
Plugged RCA into right and left in of the sub and the pre out.

Does this sound right to you guys? "The right and left in of the sub." Why would you need both? Is this a sub that takes the signal of both channels and then feeds it off to the speakers?

As far as I know, you would just start off with the amp and speakers (no sub). To add a sub you leave everything the same, but then connect one cable (not two) to the pre out on the amp and run that to the in on the sub. On my sub (a Mission) it's labelled "subwoofer input (LFE)".

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10018
Might need splitters due to the jumpers...too late.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10019
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:iFvEC5WlMYUJ:nadelectronics.com/reviews/TAS -C325BEE-C525BEE-Review+nad+c325bee+with+subwoofer&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 225
Thanks for posting the article Art. Very nice reveiw. I may consider picking up the CD player in the future. I can burn most of music to CD's.

I did find this is in the article which I think is a little different then what you are saying "by replacing the pre-out/main-in jumpers with Y-adaptors." This would mean coming out of the 325 with two going into the sub with one right? Isn't that what Dan is saying or am I confused by what the writer is saying?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12700
Ahh yes, a couple of y adapters.
That figgures.
Dan, the LFE is a HT connection, for music, you use 2 cables, left and right, from a Y or T connection of the preouts.
The other connection of the splitter maintains the Mains out/in connection.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 226
I have no frame of reference here. I need pictures.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10020
http://www.ixos.co.uk/us/ixos-products-detail.asp?PROID=117&Category=1&SubCat=24

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12702
attaboy Art.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 139
Well it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about then! Why would a single bass driver need to play two channels?

Anyways, I only have one interconnect input in my sub (the LFE). There is no L or R. I'll throw a pic up and get you guys to help me optimize the connection if I can't figure it out myself.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12707
Dan, you can use just one side to complete the connection.
bass below 60-70Hz is mono anyhow, but you might miss something in the octave or so runover with a bash amp.
The LFE from a HT receiver mixes the bass to mono, thus th single signal wire. It will be fine on one channel.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 227
I have a Y adapter I believe. But, it still does not help with how to connect. Do I use a y adapter out of the 325 pre out into the sub line in? Does it matter if it is the left or right? What do I do with the 325 main in?

My only experience with subs is with a HT receiver with a sub out going to a sub with an LFE in. Real simple, one sub cable.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10026
2 Y's Mordecai...replacing the jumpers and then the L/R RCA's to the L/R line in on the Sub.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10027
Dan there is often low frequency information in one channel that is not in the other, wouldn't want to miss that information as it's part of the music.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 228
Okay, this is becoming clearer but I'm still a little confused. So, a Y adapter coming out of the 325 main in and pre out (4 rca's into 2). The two rca's coming out of the Y from the 325 plug into the left and right line in of the sub?

This is confusing because I don't understand what the "main in" and "pre out's" do exactly. Based on the word "in" sounds like a connection going into the 325. The "pre out" makes a little more sense because "out" indicates a connection coming out of the 325. Sorry for the ignorance guys.

I will have to pick up another y connector and be sure the one I have is actually a y connector.

Happy Fathers's Day to the dad's on here today.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 229
I don't have a Y connector after all. I will have to pick up 2 which means waiting to experiment with a sub.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10030
Sounds like you're gettin' it Mordecai. The pre out/main in jumpers in is how the signal from the pre amp gets to the power amp. That's why the sub got the signal last night but your main speakers did not.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 230
Well, I got two Y connectors and it still does not work. I only get sound from the sub and not the speakers. I hooked one Y connector coming out of the main in and one coming out of the pre out allowing for two rca's (righ & left) plugged into the right and left line in on the sub. Something is missing. Maybe I could speak on the phone with someone it would help. I also emailed NAD and asked them how to do it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10039
This is what I used last time I had a receiver like that (I think) with short jumpers like those made by Audioquest and others..

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/monster/a-ya-m2fm.html

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 234
Art - I was putting plugging the y connectors in wrong. David Mitchel told me they needed to be plugged in the same way the jumpers were (horizontally). I was plugging the y connectors vertically based on the right left orientation. I now have a 2.1 system.

Now I have to figure out where to set the crossover and whether I like it. The sub I have is 12 inches and I think an 8 inch would be more appropriate for the room and what I listen to.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 235
Art - I really enjoyed talking with today and I appreciate your time.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10043
That is the way any connector would have been plugged in. When we spoke I didn't get that they you hadn't connected them the same way as the jumpers...sorry I didn't catch that. OK...let us know what you think!

I really enjoyed the conversation too Mordecai. It was very nice to meet you.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 236
That was my ignorance. I didn't understand what the jumpers were until we spoke. I was actually considering doing that before David told me to but I was still confused about right and left configuration which is horizontal.

I have some playing to do. I've already noticed that some of the music I like does not have much low end so I wasn't missing anything. The film score is where it really showed up and I like it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10045
Sounds like you're enjoying..cool!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 142
Upload

Here's a pic of the back of my sub. How would you guys recommend I hook it up? I guess it's pretty clear that I don't have many options as there is only one input (not going to use the high level input). I'm guessing this is probably not the greatest subwoofer for high end two channel. Anyways, long run it'll be doing HT work.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12736
If the Denon has a lfe out, then there is no question.
If not, why not the high level inputs?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 144
No LFE out on the Denon, so I have to put the LFE switch on the sub to OFF.

To use the high level in/out I'd have to buy another set of speaker cables, and I read that using these could degrade sound quality since you are introducing another component to the path. Just not worth it.

Truth is, I've got my sub dialed in pretty good now, it blends in well with my speakers. So to me it sounds good. I'm sure when I upgrade to a more expensive unit and use two line level connections it'll sound a lot better, but until then ignorance is bliss. Can't afford to spend any more money right now.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12739
Just use the high level in, forget the out

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 147
But I like the sounds that my speakers make.

If I were to use the high level in, I'd have to run my speaker cables from my amp to the sub high level in, the sub would remove the low frequencies, and using the high level outs I'd connect to my speakers. If I didn't use the outs then I wouldn't be able to connect my speakers!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12787
No Dan, the high in to the sub is just that, and the mains are unaffected, keep them connected at full range.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 151
My amp only has enough speaker connections for two speakers (4 outputs in total). The subwoofer manual says the following about the high levels:

High Level Input (from amplifier)
These inputs are designed to accept an amplified signal from the speaker outputs of a receiver, power amp or other device not equipped with line level outputs.

High Level Output (to speakers)
The original amplified signal connected to the high level inputs is present at these outputs with very deepest bass information removed. From here the signal may continue on to the existing Left and Right speakers.

I don't think I could use these connections without another pair of speaker cables. And because I'd use the speaker outs from the amp (not the pre outs) the amp would be sending the full signal. It would be up to the sub to remove the high frequencies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us