Cerwin Vega 315 Restoration Help!!!!

Username: Redbiker

Post Number: 1
I picked up a pair of CV 315 stage/pa monitors/cabs for my musician son for 30.00 bucks!!! These are big, chocolate brown fuzzish carpet, carry handles was told they are stock driver wise : 152EH woofer, HF-91 mid/high horn (diaphrams need replacing but could I go with DT25H Tweeter, used in the Cerwin Vega HP215? suppose would depend on crossover point), and a HO5 by Foster. XO rear panel states 4-8ohms.

I have to refoam the woofers, find diaphrams (where and what part number) for the HF-91 4x10 mid/high horn or substitute, the Foster HO5's are fine. Would love to know the specs on these, power handling, oxover freqs etc..

The xovers need work, the caps are good, the circuit breakers need replacing, the coils/inducters (spool deals with wire wrapped) need replacing and the l/pads or pots could stand to be swapped out (stamped 16 ohms on the ceramic backside..no undertsand that) no indication on the coil/inducters saying what they are, cannot read the circuit breakers, nor any numbers aside from the 16 ohms on the post/l-pads. If anyone can tell me what I need and where to snag would be greatly appreciated, kid will be visiting in a few weeks, and would like to surprise with these 315's. Figured if anyone knew would most like be here.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3301
I know a guy named Terrance Murphy. Are you in Westchester by any chance? Not that its that unique of a name.

Either way, I have no idea how to help.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12444
TM, it sounds like you got fuzzy brown cases and not so much else that works.
Is this a particularly desireable model?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13634

If you're dedicated to this project, start by calling CV.

Username: Redbiker

Post Number: 2
Nope not that Terrance Murphy, regarding viability, will cost about 25 for the foams and a couple hours of my time, new diaphrams for the mid-tweets about 50, or a bit less if can use the above mentioned horns, and will have a spare set cast 4"x10" 1" throat, 3 bolt lenses adapter for threaded diaphrams are like 3 bucks ea , foster high tweets are fine. Coil/inducter, l-pad, circuit breaker (thinking no more than 30.00, trick is finding the right ones) a little hot glue and solder..so about 140.00 for a pair of 15" 3 ways he can add to his gigging gear, think is worth it compared to buying vintage, later used or new. Might be wrong there but am a long distance dad atm, so everytime he plugs in will sorta be there :-)

CV was not much help, won't send a schematic, tell me what coils, breaker, pads are needed, referred me to service and no CV service near me, and well a whole lot cheaper to swap out the xover components myself. Or get the parts, and farm out the soldering to a local tech, my soldering skills are not that great, but then is only a crossover.

Thanks for the input all.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13636

The crossover caps should be marked as to their values. Stick to the same as OEM pieces and you should be fine. The circuit breaker can be replaced with a fuse and the L-pad probably just needs to be cleaned. The inductors should not need replacement unless they have been burned, in which case the whole project becomes more uncertain.

Start with Parts Express and see what they can offer as far as help and parts.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12446
And let us know how you are making out?!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us