Need Sub Advice!

Username: Fritosbbqtwist

Post Number: 10
Hey guys. About 4 months ago, I got some receiver advice and it was quality (chunked up 500 on a new one).

After months of listening, I am missing one thing...the bump! I have a stereo receiver and 4 speakers hooked up at the moment in a relatively small room.

On the back of the receiver is ONE input for a subwoofer. My questions are these.

Do "pairs" have one wire where both fit into the receiver slot?
If my budget is 150-250, what is a good subwoofer for that price?

I realize I did not post any specifics, so if asked for I can - but I am mainly looking for a subwoofer in my budget. Nothing spiffy, just something that will add a decent amount of kick to my room.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12362
How much physical space do you have Fritos? And does the sub go in a corner?
The single sub-out from the receiver can usually be split into a pair without any problem.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9566
This is out of your budget but the least I would spend on a sub.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

If you have a small room you could get way with using this one.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

Seems like the STF1 occasionally goes for a bit less.

Bronze Member
Username: Fritosbbqtwist

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the advice guys.

Now, I am a complete audio newb. Picking out speakers and receivers less than a year ago was my first experience with any of it, so go easy on me.

I read around that some subwoofers need amplifiers? My receiver has ONE input labeled Sub...

So, lets say I were to get the second sub you posted Art, would I have to buy it in a pair?

Would I have to buy a separate amp for it or could it go directly into my receiever?

If I do need an amplifier, is it just a "sub" amp, or does it work with the whole system?

How much would that set me back for a *decent* one?

As I said...I am audio illiterate. You guys here are the pros so thats why I am asking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us