Background Noise-In the vinyl or system dependent?

Username: Gbb

Post Number: 8
Hi all,

I've recently started listening to classical on vinyl, and am surprised at the background noise I'm getting on a number of recordings. My tt is a Project Debut w the ortofon omb 5e. I've been listening mostlt to jazz and pop, lots of ecm lp's, and the sound is phenomenal. On the classical records, there just seems to be a higher floor of noise, and I'm unsure whether this is a quality of the vinyl used, or whether the lower volum recordings and greater silences between notes just reveals more noise than I'd noticed before. These are recordings from first-class outfits, like DGG and Philipps, so I'm curious what may be the problem. I haven't cleaned them yet, and many of them have almost no clicks and pops. How much will cleaning w an RCM help? I have a friend who does it for me for a charge, so will eventually take them over there.Are some labels/time periods known for noisy vinyl? Also, the place where I but my used vunyl sometimes cleans them w windex! I've seen them do it, and was wondering how that may affect background noise. Thanks in advance,

GB

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13587

You're probably noticing the effects of compression on the other material. It raises the lowest levels and squashes the highest to make for a more bland presentation. Yep, the quiet passages of classical are actually that quiet.

Proper cleaning will make a noticeable change in noise levels. Improper cleaning will do the same.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12373
gb, have you looked into a rcm price wise?
There ae rec here in the archives and manual cleaning too.
What kind of cleaning/brush are you using now?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12374
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/560672.html

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3657
Gabriel,

You mention DGG. If you're talking about 50's and 60's records then they should be absolutely quiet. If you're talking 70's or later, well, that's when the downfall of DG began and you could encounter anything...

Philips has a better consistency generally speaking (in my view), never top class but usually not bad.

At least, that's my experience...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us