Question of the day...

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1102
How slow is the UPS guy when it's your amp he's delivering?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2517
As long as he's not like Ace Ventura he can take as long as he needs, lol.

I'm waiting on a shipment via Purolator (Soonerorlator) from Calgary, and it's taken almost a week.

Waiting on something Stryvn?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1104
I bought a Mac, David.
MC 7300

In transit......anticipation.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9515
WOW!

Anticipation indeed!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2518
NICE!!! Way to go my friend. Welcome to club-Mac :-)

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 556
Holy smoke, no wonder you're doubting on the UPS dude. That's awesome Stryvn. The Macs are flowing like wine around here.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2183
Yeah, what some people will do for a couple of Vu meters.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12243
I saw the truck broke down at the side of the road, a Mac box being used as a jackstand...gonna be another 3 days yet...

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 761
A big congrats Styvn. Happy Mc Day! Well, at least it will be when it gets to you.
Like I mentioned to David when he got his, you need to get a bottle of champagne and toast that lady...and give her a name. I'm thinking Jezebel. Hmmm.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2522
I wasn't home when Mr. Purolator came calling today. Now I have to wait till tomorrow.

So whatcha gonna do with the Rotel now that you have a Mac Stryvn?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1107
Thanks guys. Opportunity knocked and I was in a position to answer the door. And the Mrs. said go for it. UPS tracking says Thursday. That's tomorrow, right?

The Rotel is gonna stick around for a while. Maybe just for grins I'll let the kid use it with his Onk as a pre.

What's Soonerorlater bringin' David?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2524
Lucky kid!

Just for kicks I ordered a tube buffer.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/B-283+Tube+Processor+Buffer

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1909
stryvn,

you need to start lining up your reference vinyl for Thursday and spend that day at work coughing and sneezing,

A new MAC and a 3 day weekend would be just what the doctor ordered!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 432
Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2466
Wholly crap. That is awesome Stryvn.

Just so everyone here knows that I purchased two single Mac's yesterday as well........

With extra sauce from McDonalds. :-( lol.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1912
That's great Nick, but it looks like stryvn's appetite was more for a Big Mac!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2525
So question for ya Stryvn. The MC7300 has L/R gain controls. I think it's technically a power amp, but you can use this as an integrated and use the gain controls as volume pots, right? Is that how you're gonna use it or are you gonna feed it with your Rotel pre?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1108
For now I am going to run the Rotel pre while keeping an eye out for a tubed pre.

I don't think there's a lot of folks out there that would pair a Rotel pre with Mac power but the amp came avail. at a price I was willing to put out to get into Mac. Thanks Mike.

So, I guess the next question becomes, what pre should I be bringing in to audition? From what neighborhood?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1913
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT%26item%3D 400047029923

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1246125317&/McIntosh-C2200-Stere o-Tube-Pre

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12248
Stryvn, as I said earlir, here comes the 2200.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2530
oh man... I'd love the 2200.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1109
One childs college fund at a time, please.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1110
The eagle has landed.

Box in great shape. Glass intact.

Nice job, Mike.

And thanks UPS.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1915
I just had a chance to see that it was delivered and was going to call you. Thanks for the post.

Now go home, you look really sick!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12253
Is the clearcoat on the shelf dry Stryvn?

Have fun bro.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 560
Sweet, enjoy Stryvn. Just mention swine flu at work and you can get a whole week off. Nothin' like getting quarantined after a new amp shows up.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2190
Congrats Stryvn, enjoy!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12259
LOL, Chris H!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2532
My wife came back from Mexico 2 weeks ago, and I just came down with a cold this week (coincidentally). My boss told me yesterday "I don't mind if you take some time off...". lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12265
Where do we stand stryvn???

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1916
stryvn I was telling you to play sick, not play dead..

I thought about calling him but then figured he might not hear the phone...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2541
haha! He's enjoying the Mac guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 763
Mac Flu...that's what Stryvn's got.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 728
Stryvn...........???????????

I thought the speakers were supposed to disappear, not the listener.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1111
The Mac sounds terrific, fellas. I'm still messin' around with setup and re-hearing a lot of my collection. It pushes the Studio 60's around with authority. Watch that gain!

I've been leaning heavy on vinyl for the last few years and the Mac has made that dominance in the format even greater. The Rolling Stones on vinyl love this amp.

I've gotten a step closer to transparency in my gear but, until the Rotel pre is out of the way, not total transparency, I don't believe.

In the meantime, my house is very musical!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2557
You've been keeping us all in suspense Stryvn! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Mac. I should try my Studio 20's with my 6300.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12300
Jolida JD9 tube phono

And keep the gain down, that mac will put the drivers at the stops very quickly with alcohol.

The drivers in the studio 60's are better than a lot of others in some respects. Their windings are very forgiving at the limits, with smaller starting windings at the limits, lowering the tendancy to run away under load.
This also limits the ultimate delivery. Tradeoff city.

Need pics,man!

Silver Member

Post Number: 766
Great to hear you're enjoying it Sryvn.

Dave...you mean you haven't yet tried ALL your speakers on the Mc...to see what pairs best? You got some work to do.

I second Nuck, pics Stryvn!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12309
Oh good, lets pick on Stryvn!

Are we there yet?
are we there yet?

The guy has a cool van, however.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1113
Well, the amp is on the floor right now. The shelf is going thru some engineering...lol. Design changes. And now that the music is flowing, all other activities have come to a crawl.

Perhaps I'll shoot a pic and post....it ain't pretty though.

Maybe a pic of the Mystery Machine too?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12311
Dude, you undershot how gut-busting heavy it is.
I have lifted it.
The UPS guy is now claiming cruelty and off for 3 months.

Amps belong on the floor, on a platform, period.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2474
Stryvn, when I moved I had set my 3B on a shelf in the stand and it took out three shelves and landed dead weight about 3 feet off the floor.lol Luckily it didnt even dent the outer case. It is on the floor now.lol.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3281
Congrats on the amp, Stryvn. I bet the Studio 60s never sounded so good. I've heard those speakers paired up with some Mac gear, and it sounded excellent.

If you think it sounds good now, wait till you upgrade other pieces of the system. It only gets better. I'm thinking a Mac pre-amp next, followed by either a Rega CDP or an outboard DAC.

I have no problem with you spending more than one kid's college tuition at a time. Hell, if you spend it all, get a job at a college for the tuition waiver.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 168
Has anyone compared Mac and BAT? I have heard they sound similar.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1116
1072 cdp straight into Mac now...gain at about 1 o'clock.

Pink Floyd Final Cut.

It's really opened up, Mike. In a less than ideal room.

Amused To Death to follow.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2560
How do you find the combo of the Rotel CDP and Mac Styrvn? I'm using a Cambridge CDP with my Mac with pretty good results.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1932
You want open stryvn? I will send you some ICs to try if you like. PM me.

In the meantime try the RS magnet wire with either RS RCA plugs or whatever your favorite RCA Male Plug might be. Mine would be Eichmann Bullets.

Can you give some specifics on the Waters CD?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1117
I ran my homemade IC's from the cdp directly to the amp last night and got further improvements in soundstage, Mike. You don't have to sit directly in the "sweet spot" to get the effects necessarily. It's a much broader sweet spot.

The Rotel sounds good with the Mac, David. But I've never heard the Apollo. The all-Rotel setup really has punch and attack. The Mac lacks in the attack somewhat, but kills the Rotel in tone.

What is the house sound of Mac?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1935
stryvn, does the Onkyo receiver have a Phono In and a line out?

When I switched from my Rotel CDP to the Apollo I really was pleased with the improvements. Detail, credibility of the presentation, naturalness of the vocals, are what I recollect as first impressions. The Apollo provided me with a better sense to what was my reality of how music should sound.

That also is how I view the Mac sound to a certain extent. There is a feeling of intimacy with the musician when listening through my kit. I get what they are doing in terms of their signature on the performance. It is not clinical in any sense to me like my Carver or Creek were. The music is more engaging, I feel it more with the Mac than I do with other gear. Not to say that Roland or others cannot do that too, but each has their own way of how they want the music to sound, so to the listener it becomes more about personal tastes, which sounds more like live music based upon that listener's frame of reference.

What were your impressions of Amused to Death?

P.S. MR. NUCK, next time you find yourself in Wisconsin, have your Apollo in your tool kit!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2566
That's a very good comparison between Rotel and Mac Styrvn.

Sometimes I miss my Rotel rig just a little because of it's clarity and attack, but the Mac is so much smoother.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1118
The question about Mac's house sound was somewhat rhetorical in that I find it to be the most transparent amp I've ever heard. I'm getting a LOT of music now. A lot. Vocals are much more believable and realistic. Like they're coming from much closer to my ear...you get more of a natural vocal chord sound with all it's nuances (roughness) rather than a smoothed over "soothing" sounding vocal part. I noticed this a lot in particular with Roger Waters work on The Final Cut and ATD. Electric guitar has more of an edge to it. Keith Richards on Can't You Hear Me Knocking (vinyl) sounds outstanding. Like, right in your face guitar.

ATD is huge. It's not a left and right thing. There's definitely a front and even a back to the music. It fills the room. The Rotel amp was capable of this but not to this extent. And, as I said, the sweet spot is quite large now. The tv in the background behind me shows up a lot more now.

The Onk does have a line out.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1936
The purpose of the question regarding your Onkyo receiver is to suggest another option in which to listen to your TT besides the Rotel.

These experiments should help you formulate a plan as to where you make your next change or if a change is even necessary.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12338
Have player, will travel.
Have phono, maybe not so much.

The Jolida tube phono has varying inputs etc, it could match the input sensitivity into the Mac to match the cdp and other sources, so no vc surprises.

No preamp is a very good thing, IMO.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13592

Depends. Preamps serve some very useful functions other than having buttons and knobs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12343
So do some bluejeans worn by men.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1120
Bottlehead makes a tube phono preamp kit for $279.

hmmmm..............

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12356
order it up, on my way. With Apollo, hehe.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1125
Well, I like the remote associated with the preamp. But I am not opposed to running a tube phono section and cdp straight. Maybe just a simple switchboard for ease of interchanging source?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13599

Other than the remote feature active pre amps offer gain to the system and typically buffering of the inputs and outputs. A good pre amp can actually provide better dynamics and smoother, more consistent frequency response. A straight wire is attractive in theory but seldom is it practical or the best solution.

If you want the least between your components and your amplifier IMO you should be looking at a transformer based passive control system. These work well if your system can deal with the peculiarities of the passive system.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1135
Headed to the dealer next week to see what I can do with the Rotel pre and amp on a trade-up.

In the meantime, I don't know how many Jack Johnson fans we've got here but the In Between Dreams cd played on the Mac really smashes the Rotel amp to bits. Completely destroys it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2517
I have every single one of Jack Johnsons cd;s. Good music to drink to. And it is produced like no other. Great reference material at its finest. His music will make a great amp sound great and poor amp sound poor.lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 778
Yeah, I love the way Brushfire Fairytales sounds on my kit. All those interesting clangs and pings are just wicked. And the really tight drum hits get the most out of that old Bryston.

I might look into getting another of his albums.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1141
The Mac 7300 has lighting issues on one of the meters and the logo does not light up either.

I've ordered the bulbs to replace all bulbs (8 in total) on both meters and 2 bulbs to take care of the logo lighting.

If anyone is interested, I'll post pics of the repair. If nobody cares, carry on.

Bulbs should be here by the end of the week. Cover me- I'm going in.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2639
Pics please Stryvn!

And keep your hands your hands away from those big caps.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12596
Let it bleed down for a day, just in case, Stryvn.
Then just change them.
Slip off the knobs, a few screws and you are there.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3332
I think they or someone else sells LED lights for Mac gear. Longer life and less heat. May be worth looking in to.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12600
I think the bulba are on order Stu.
My Mac has a dim eye, but I am gonna wait it out

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1142
I got the Wallflower version....One Headlight.

And the Mac logo not lighting up is just as bad as the meter not lighting up IMO. It needs to be repaired

Bulbs are on order already but I should look at those LED's. Thanks for the heads up, Stu.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2650
For sure Stryvn. The Mac logo has to light up, or it's just not the same.....

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1143
The Mac is all fixed up and looking GREAT! Logo and matching headlights....replaced 12 bulbs in all. Not all that difficult to do either. Took me about an hour and a half. But I am not an electronics guy. I will post some pics tomorrow, David.

It looks friggin awesome sitting on the floor all lit up pounding out some Fleetwood Mac. The wife says, "It sounds better with them new lights!"

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12618
Awesome stryvn!
It is on a stand on the floor, right?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1144
I apologize for the crappy pictures...

Here's the circuit board that houses 4 bulbs behind one of the meters. Mac sends just the bulbs and you have to de-solder the old bulbs and solder new ones to the circuit board. The circuit board is held in place on a couple of studs with lockwashers. 3 old bulbs and one new one freshly mounted in photo

Upload

Here you can see the center circuit board that houses the logo lighting bulb and lower panel bulb as well as the Power Guard lights. Also notice the bulb just to the left of the left channel meter. Gotta keep them meters lit up...

Upload

And finally....the newly re-lit Mac

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2662
Looks great Strvyn! Good job man.

Interesting to see the Mac naked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2565
It looks better with clothes on. I dated a few women like that.LOL!! Looks sexy as hell Stryvn.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3663
Nick, please say you were drunk at the time...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12619
And tell me she was sober...

Good stuff Stryvn!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1994
Geez stryvn, I did not need to see that.

That notwithstanding, I am truly appreciative of the true MAC owner you are!

Silver Member

Post Number: 805
Interesting project Stryvn and nice work. Could you have possibly substituted LEDs instead of the Mc bulbs for longer life, brighter light and cooler temp? Not sure if this is a possibility

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12623
That was further up, George, Stu beat ya to it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 806
just read it . GREAT minds tHink alike.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12627
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/131349-mcintosh_pretuner_and_mcintosh_amp lifier__absolutely_stunning/

I have them here at home now...

But no camera, dammit!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1995
Well local pick up is certainly quicker than waiting for UPS!

They look showroom condition. Wow!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12630
Mint and spotless, trailer Queens.

connecting in a few moments.

Silver Member

Post Number: 807
Whew hooo. I looked at those last night. Didn't know you were on them Nuck. Good score.

Excited to hear your report. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12631
The tuner/pre is exactly as it should be, and a little overwhelmed with the Apollo's input, LOL, some gain there.
The MX112 is into the 6900amp for simplicity, and I want to test the 112 first.
The fm begs an antennae, which I do not have.
The phono does not respond to the input from the HO MC Dyn. Hmmm... A transformer is required, it seems, of course. Or the Jolida phono to be put inline.
Of course the 6900 has a transformer inside, I missed that, DOH!
The preamp switches silently, has connectivity for 2 phono, and is 1967 brought back to life, yet again.
A dead silent, very retro and very cool piece of gear.
The LF filter effectively subdues any flutter on the table, so much as I could tell.
Can I fit a remote?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2236
Nice!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12633
Working with it MR. The 112 doesn't sound just right. Different cables in order.
The 2505 amp will come in after I sort the preamp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12634
The 2505 is bare wire or pins only, have to cut wires.Sheite.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2239
All good fun in the name of music Nuck. It looks like a very good pick up nevertheless.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12636
It is actually quite a bother, but indeed in the name of music, MR.
It is working better now, settled down.
Might have to wait a week till I come back and snip the leads.

Cheers fellers!

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1146
will it dance with a 7300 Nuck?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12638
working on it Stryvn.needs a phono stage or transformer.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2000
MX 112

AM SECTION: Sensitivity 12uV, S/N 55dB, Distortion 1%, Response down 6dB at 5kHz, Selectivity 10kHz at -6dB, Image rejection 60dB.

FM SECTION: Sensitivity 2.5uV, Distortion 0.5% in mono, Response 20-20kHz (+1.0 -1.0dB), Capture ratio 1.8dB, Spurious rejection 90dB, Image rejection 75dB,

PREAMPLIFIER SECTION: Response 20-20kHz (+0.5 -0.5dB), Distortion 0.1%, Input sensitivity and impedance: aux 0.25V at 250k, phono 2.0mV at 47k. Voltage gain 20dB aux, 62dB phono. Hum and noise: aux -85dB, phono 70dB below 10mV input. Tone controls: bass +16dB to -20dB, treble +20 to-20dB. . LF filter 50Hz at 6dB/octave. HF filter 5kHz at 6dB/octave. Phase switch: 0 or 180.

MC 2505 Stereo Power Amplifier

ELECTRICAL: 50w/ch. Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Damping factor 10. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Headphone impedance 4 to 600 ohms. Sentry Monitor.

C 7300 & MC7300(W) Stereo Power Amplifier

ELECTRICAL: 300w/ch. (600w mono). Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.005%. Noise and hum -105dBA. Output impedance 2, 4 and 8 ohms. (1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 ohms in mono). Damping factor 40 or greater. Input impedance 20k unbalanced, 40k balanced. Input sensitivity 1.4v or 2.5v. Sentry Monitor. Power Guard.

MA6900 Integrated Amplifier Specifications

INPUT IMPEDANCE
High level: 22K ohms
Phono: 47K ohms, 65pf
Main in: 20K ohms

It looks like the Interconnect cables can make a difference.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12639
It sure does, and thanks for the legwork, MW!

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1147
They sure look to be in great condition, Nuck.
Now for a week of rental car radio and laptop speakers to flush your head.

David- did you ever try the 20's with your 6300?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13668

"The tuner/pre is exactly as it should be, and a little overwhelmed with the Apollo's input, LOL, some gain there."

Most vintage gear will not care for the high voltage output of a modern day CD player. The front end of the pre amp will be overloaded and distort when its input voltage is exceeded. Try running the Apollo's output directly into the tape monitor input, there is less circuitry there and a somewhat higher input sensitivity. Buy one of the -12dB Harrison Labs line attentuators, they are as transparent as you'll find in such a device. I use one on my pre amp due to the high output of the Apollo, my purpose is more to level out the differences in volume between the CD and the phono which I suspect will exist in the MX 112 also.

"The fm begs an antennae, which I do not have."

That's what you want in a tuner. If the tuner can detect signals without an antenna connected, you have crappy shielding in the tuner. Use any chunk of wire as an antenna for now, even 8" of wire will pick up stronger signals. Trim the wire to between 27-31" for slightly better reception or build a dipole with both legs at 31" lengths.

"The phono does not respond to the input from the HO MC Dyn"

It doesn't provide any output? Or the output is too low? There should be no need for a step up transformer with a high output cartidge and adding one would be a mistake. The phono input requires 2.0mV to output full voltage from the pre amp. Are you just not getting sufficient output level?

"The LF filter effectively subdues any flutter on the table, so much as I could tell."

Not "flutter", rumble and warp induced response. "Flutter" is high frequency speed deviation (and "wow" is low frequency speed deviation). The VPI should have neither to any appreciable degree.

If you are talking about the "flutter" of the woofers moving in and out when you play a stereo LP, that is simply rumble and/or warp response. The VPI should have virtually no rumble to cause the woofers to respond so what you are seeing is the warp of a disc combined with the tonearm resonance. The clamp on the VPI should minimize warps issues. Using a heavy weight counterweight on the tonearm can often further assist in minimizing arm resonances by placing the mass of the counterweight closer to the main arm bearings. The starting point is matching the cartridge and arm. I don't know where the resonance of your system occurs.

A low frequency filter was meant to minimize warp frequency and tonearm resonance problems. On the MX112 it has a knee that should be around 20Hz which today is considered rather high and one of the reasons rumble filters went the way of the dodo. Such a filter didn't matter as much in the '60's when there were very few speakers that could manage any real bass response beneath 40Hz - but then Vilchur and Kloss changed all that with an acoustic suspension enclosure. A filter that can be effective at 20Hz will still have some effect at higher frequencies and can reduce bass content - not to mention some degree of phase shift which is typically not as much of an issue as just not having bass content down into the last octave. Therefore use of the filter is cautionary, minimizing the movement of the woofer should help in stabilizing the soundstage and extracting a bit more information from the low-midrange on up through the cut off frequency of the woofers but it is a trade off for other things. Use the VPI clamp to minimze warp effects and use the filter only when necessary. And don't buy warped records if you can help it.

" The 2505 amp will come in after I sort the preamp."

?

"It looks like the Interconnect cables can make a difference."

?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2665
Not yet Stryvn. I still need to get some half decent stands for the 20's. On my list of to-do's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12642
Thanks JV.
I have minimal output using phono1, just a whisper. I did not try phono2, just went to aux in, I will try the tape in too.
I am using the 6900's power amp first, so as to try all the preamp functions, then plug in the MC2505 and try it out.
the diy cables that I tried first really acascerbated the treble breakup that I heard, I will try a few more, after going the tape-in route.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13669

"Treble breakup"? I'm at a loss as to how cables can exacerbate treble breakup. You are more than likely hearing the front end of the pre amp overloading and therefore distorting. Cables should have no effect on that issue, that is simply a function of too much input voltage vs. a very sensitive input spec. The Mac does have a linear taper volume control, however, and it will need to be set to a higher position than many other pre amps for a given output level.

Phono "2" should be nothing more than a switch that goes to the same phono pre amp. Unless the problem is in the switch you shouldn't have any different results with either input. You say this is a HO cartridge, what's the output spec of the cartridge?

Have you already purchased the 2505?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12644
http://www.cartridgedb.com/docs/dyna_10x5.pdf

2.5 mv

I have the 2505 as well. I will have to use bare wire ripcord when I connect it, of course.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13672

The cartridge is rather low output despite being typical of a HO mc. This should provide more than a whisper of volume.

Have you purchased the 2505? Are you just trying this stuff out or are you serious about owning this gear? Why this vs the 6900 with four decades newer technology and parts?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12648
Retro 2nd system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us