Best speakers around $600-700 recommendations.

Username: Matty_red_sox

Post Number: 1
My wife and I just got a new apartment, and I am allowed one audio gift to me...

I have a Pioneer A-535 amp http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/a-535-e.html and a fairly great turntable Victor (JVC) QL-Y5 http://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/ql-y5f.shtml - now I want speakers. The size of the room that we are going into is 21' x16' and unfortunately due to the design (combined living room kitchen dining - it's an NYC apartment), the speakers will most likely be placed near floor to ceiling glass windows. Suggestions for ceiling mounted or wall mounted (but they'd have to be smallish for this) would be appreciated.

I would appreciate suggestions, I have looked at Aperion 4T's. Aperion 6B's, and Mirage OS 3 Sats. I would prefer tower type speakers, so I can more easily move them (I expect the glass to be a problem for placement). My wife would prefer something new and "nice looking." I want to keep her happy too, as she could have said "suffer with your old speakers."

I'm new here and hope for your assistance, and hope that I am not breaking any forum rules.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12191
Welcome Matt.
How much bass do you want?
Just think front ports and you will be fine.Have you looked at the various standmount threads here lately? The boys have done all the homework for ya!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12192
I would look at standmounts for several reasons.

They can be moved for proper placement.
They can be tweaked.
There are a dozen models in your price range that are very very good.
You can augment them with a good small sub for reasonable money, depending on your bass wants/needs.

Check those standmount threads.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12193
You also have an amp that will run the Totem Model1. Hint. Check the used ads!

Brooklyn NYC

Post Number: 2
I am grateful for your help (looked at the totems... but at $1350...errr a bit much, though I will check used too) - I appreciate the quick feedback.

What are standmounts? I imagine stands with bookshelf sort of speakers mounted, but could be very far off... could you post a link to one of the threads?

Brooklyn NYC

Post Number: 3
Never mind, seek and you shall find... and I found the shoot out.

Ohh, I do want bass, but would consider adding a subwoofer eventually.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12197
That is a very flexible arrangement.
If you move, it is adaptable, after the setup is just right in your room now.
Stands will cost money for good ones, but the cheap knockoffs and used market offer an avenue of possibility.

The Totems can be had for 700, check around audiogon

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12198
Again, how much bass is too much bass in a NYC apt?
What kind of music do you like?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2563
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/fashion/2009/05/01/2009-05-01_first_lady_mi chelle_obama_kicks_in_own_foot_feat_for_fashionistas_lanvin.html

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2564
...oh I thought you said sneakers, sorry.

Username: Wireos

Post Number: 1
Well, why not choose a Wireless Speaker instead when you say you want to move them easily. Moreover, you don't have to plug & unplug any cables unnecessarily. Within a specified distance you can listen to your music. And depending upon your speaker compatibility, you can connect it to your Satellite radio, SanDisk, MP3 players, Computers, CD players and anything that has an audio output in it.
Wireless speakers are battery powered device & very flexible for portability.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us