Um... a little help

Username: Albaro

Post Number: 8
Whenever I crank up the volume on the preamp my speakers clip. Should I buy speakers with less watts?

I HAVE A PAIR OF JBL SPEAKERS MODEL S36II (150w). I am using a HK 4000 amp (45w, 100w bridged),and a NAD 1300 preamp.

Unregistered guest
speakers don't "clip" Amplifiers clip. Speakers compress. What is it? Clipping? Or compressing?

Username: Albaro

Post Number: 9
well
the speakers sound like static is coming out of them.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You've probably cranked up the volume too many times. You've clipped the amp and busted one or several of your speaker components. You've blown a tweeter. Fix it and don't crank up the volume till it distorts.

Unregistered guest
Albaro, NO, you should buy a more powerfull amp. Do the speakers sound distorted all the time or just when you crank em? If just when you crank them, it's the amp crapping out. All the time, it's the speakers. Do you run the loudness button on? Bass increased past center? These both rob your amp of power. Bass frequencies from 200hz down, take 85% of all power. A powered sub may also help. Protect your ears at all cost. Buy a system that sounds great at lower volumes. They DO exist.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us