Cartridge leads

Bronze Member
Username: Dolarsbin

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 18
Hey ho,
So here I am this Monday night, sippin' on my 4th Becks and taking my turntables apart... Good combo huh? But so I am tracing the four leads from the cartridges, red, white green, and blue. My question here is, what is the blue lead for? Red=right, black=left, green=ground? blue? Also, how universal are tonearms? Can a Rega arm go an a Technics turntable? Thanks, D

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13541

Take your meter and trace backwards. Touch the tip and ring of the RCA's and the cartridge leads individually. The red conductor should be right hot, the green should be left hot. That leaves two conductors for ground. Manufacturers are not consistent but you should find your answer in that combination with a continuity meter.

Tonearms are not universal. A Rega arm would be a poor choice for a Technics. Unless you have the ability to produce an armboard for a specific arm you will need to stay with the arm that was originally matched to your table. Many tables use cuitouts for the Rega arm, the LInn or the SME, but Technics is typically a Technics arm. Arms are often designed to dump their resonances into the plinth of the table. The Rega arm operates in this fashion but the Technics tables are not meant for this sort of arm.

Bronze Member
Username: Dolarsbin

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 19
Cool. It was actually just a hypothetical question, the Rega/Technics compatiblity. And you covered everything well.
Thanks Jan!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us