Complications

Username: Urophenox

Not a city, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 7
Just for a bit of additional information for my own benefit and curiosity, and for those who might be interested as well. I have an interesting question no one seems to be able to accurately answer. Although I may have high hopes due to the subtle differences in speakers and of course personal preference. Would having two sets of main speakers of the same size and type, be accurate by any means? Even with adequate amplification could this situation turn ugly? What do you think?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13540

" Would having two sets of main speakers of the same size and type, be accurate by any means?"

How would you arrange these two sets?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12167
And who you calling ugly?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12168
It really is a consideration of time delay and coherence for delivery, Nolan.
If 2 are not so good, why double the pain?
And if 2 are good enough, well, you would not need 2 more.

Over simplified answer to an overly simplified OP.
What do you have in mind?

Post Number: 9
I someday wish to attain what I would call my "dream system". I love LOUD music and I love the specific qualities of Paradigms speakers that make me feel as a part of the music. I'm definitely not suggesting they're the only ones, but it's my preference. They just hit that "button" for me. Say I were to buy another pair of Monitor 11's and set them approximately 10" - 16" offset out or in, or possibly an outside set straight forward and the inside set cambered. Possibly camber both sets to the same "listening area", or whatever one might suggest with matched lengths of speaker cable. Could I achieve:
More dynamics
Better imaging
Lower bass response
More headroom
More volume
Better imaging
Or a combination of the above with of course some other factors I can't put my finger on at the moment?
Perhaps I'm fishing in the dark, but for the value and my tastes, I'm wondering if such a thing is possible while still maintaining the sonic integrity of my system?
By the way, I'm not calling anyone ugly, LOL!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2172
I'm not the most qualified to respond, but I think you'd ruin what you already have. Nuck said it in his statement before your last post. It could be akin to seeing double - but hearing double - out of focus in a fashion. If you want a bigger Paradigm sound get better Paradigm spakers maybe and the right source and amplification.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2448
I agree with M.R. Why buy two pair of Paradigm MOnitor 11's at 1500 a pop when 3 grand will get you into the Signature line or a pair of Studio 100's. Then you will truly have better imaging, headroom, dynamics. Just be prepared to upgrade your amp ( I have no idea what your using right now) and source. Its a slippery slope. Would I buy two pair of Monitor 11's for a music setup? Absolutely not. Now a pair at the back for rears in a Home Theater setting would be tempting.lol Cheers.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13543

"Could I achieve:
More dynamics
Better imaging
Lower bass response
More headroom
More volume
Better imaging"

Adding a second pair of speakers to the system will gain you an additional +6dB in overall SPL. For the same position on the volume control the system will play +6dB louder. If your amplifier can handle the load of the combined speakers, you could see either an increase in available wattage (a parallel connection) or a slight decrease in overall wattage (a series connection). I would strongly suggest the series connection since most mid-priced amplifiers and certainly any mass market reciever will not appreciate the low impedance load of four speakers in parallel and would be unlikely to have the current demanded by such a system.

While the idea of higher power might be attrractive it is not as useful as on paper numbers would appear. Use the safer connection and save your amplifier.

If you are able to couple the drivers effectively through placement, you will hear an increase in dynamics which would appear to give you more headroom.

Twice as amany drivers pushing air would provide the potential for more bass however the bass extension is still limited by the enclosure design coupled with the drivers and the limitations of the room, the real extension in the lower octave would be minimal though more bass is often perceived as lower bass due to the workings of our ears and brain. It is quite easy to overload the room with too much bass and not enough extension and wind up with nothing more than boom. You could avoid this problem by widely spacing the various speakers around the room placing each system as you would multiple subwoofers, one speaker on the front wall and the other speaker on the side wall.

You've listed "better imaging" twice. I asume you can figure out what would happen to imaging with the speakers placed apart to provide cleaner bass response. Even with the speakers placed tightly together, which is likely to produce less impressive bass and more boom, the chances of two speakers combining their outputs in a cohesive fashion has always been small. It happens when systems fall into place such as the old Double Advent system but in general the problems of comb filtering and lobing of the drivers works against such luck. A three way system has much less potential for good pairing in this regard than would a two way system.

If you want loud, the best way to get there is with speakers of a higher electrical sensitivity. Increasing the sensitivity spec by +6dB would be the equivalent of increasing your amplifier's available output by +4X, a 50 watt amp would be the rough equivalent to a 200 watt amplifier in available SPL.

Don't confuse this with the need to buy more power. The best route to loud is through the speakers first and then the amplifier.

I would say your plan is not well thought out. You can, if you try, find more sensitive speakers than the Paradigms - and with easier to drive impedance curves - that will do what you want. Take your time and plan a well thought out system rather than patching together a system of lesser components, buying more of a lower quality speaker is not the way to gain a better system.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2487
I agree with Nick. If you like the Paradigm sound and want to stick with that brand, why not upgrade to the Studio line. I used to have Monitor 7's that I thought were pretty darned good, then down the road I got a pair of Studio 20's. Even though the 20's are much smaller, there's really no comparison in SQ.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9467
I'm with Nick and David. The next level for Paradigm is considerably better.

Post Number: 10
Thanks you all for your contributions, but please don't misunderstand. I do understand that looking for more power won't necessarily lead me to more volume. I also am not necessarily looking to set this up in practice. I'm asking to see your opinions in the matter to help weigh the pros and cons, in case the opportunity were to arrive. I had some doubts that it would aid in any considerable fashion to the overall realism of the system, so I thought I would ask.:-) I do agree that seeking a higher sensitivity is a good start for volume which is why I picked the new Monitors. I don't have a lot for a budget most of the time, so I usually look for deals and well treated second hand items. I've been looking into getting a Bryston 3b or a pair of them for my mains. (I'm using a receiver at the moment) I thought perhaps the situation may allow using 2 pair of main speakers. It's no longer seeming so, lol. I'm also looking into getting a sub, which would help a bit. If I could afford some of Paradigms flagship reference products I'd definitely go for them.:-) Thanks again for your input!

Silver Member
Username: Ustaad_hc

Post Number: 712

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2496
A used Bryston 3B is a very good purchase Nolan. I bought mine used for 500 bucks. Granted it's the first generation 3B, and as old as the hills, but it's built like brick and still sounds great. BUT, if I was gonna go back and do it again, I'd spend just a little bit more for a used 3B ST at least.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2453
I agree with David. It seems a company like Bryston just doesn't release new models of their stuff without a good cause.

Not much gets more sensitive than the new V6 or V5 Paradigm Monitors. They get loud quick with little power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us