Merak,Michura Loud speakers

Anonymous
I can find little info on any of these.I know they are made by Axiom but are they nice?

Jean S
www.merak.ca

I got the Powered Sub MS15 Regular price 3 weeks ago 499$ got it for 219$ on sale at radio shack

First i did no wat to tink about the 15" driver
it look abit cheep when i start listning some
avril lavigne (complicated)song wow man my house start to shak like crazy the sub volume was only at the half and my amp was far from wat i listning to all i can say is you beter have a solid house if you buy this baby sory for my anglish am french

Andrew K.
I purchased Merak speakers about a month ago to go with my Pioneer VSX-D510 receiver, and I am quite happy with the Meraks. I didn't know much about these speakers but was told I could return them if I wasn't happy with their performance. I think I'll be keeping them.

I am using a pair of Merak MT66 mini-towers ($130 Canadian) as the front channels of my set-up, and a Merak MB4CR surround kit ($50 Canadian) for my center and rear channels. All of these speakers have a good solid feel, decent finish, and look nice. The grills on the MT66s are easy to remove and the mounting pegs are well designed- they'd be impossible to break accidentally. The low point of these speakers: the terminals are spring-clips, and the wires came out of one of the satellites once when I was moving them around. A bit of a nuisance. Overall, these speakers feel like they are well built, although I'm underwhelmed with the spring-clip connectors. (Are binding-posts that much more expensive than spring-clips?)

I have done side-by-side comparisons of the MT66's against every other pair of speakers I could get my hands on: 3-way speakers with 15" woofers from my dad's 20-year old Sanyo system, plus bookshelf speakers from Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic. The Merak mini-towers obviously do not have as much bottom end as the huge Sanyo speakers, but aside from that I prefered the sound of the MT66's to all of the speakers I compared them to. I have been playing the hell out of these speakers since I got them, with everything from Black Sabbath to Dick Dale to classical music and motion picture scores, and I have really enjoyed them. Head to head, the other speakers now sound less clear compared to the Meraks. I've found details in the music that I hadn't realized were there until I listened to it on the Meraks, and found that it IS there on the other speakers, just less distinct. I guess that means the MT66s are a step up from the equipment I've had to this point in my life.

The one drawback with these speakers: the low end is 60Hz. I'm trying to decide whether to add a subwoofer or just trade up to Merak's next larger set.

As for the MB4CR surround kit... I think that if you've read the spec-sheet you already know everything wrong with these speakers: lousy sensitivity (especially the satellites) and less than spectacular frequency range (80-17000Hz). To me, not a problem- proper setup of your receiver should compensate for the sensitivity and direct the deep bass to your subwoofer or main speakers. Properly set up, they do their job: dialog from the center channel is clear, and it blends well with the MT66s. The rear satellites- once you've compensated for the low sensitivity- provide decent performance. I had originally planned to ditch these and upgrade on them once I had more cash to spend... but after getting them properly adjusted and placed, I'm happy with them. I don't use these for music... they just have to provide surround effects, and they do. I find the surround effect in my set-up is almost seemless. I've decided that for my tastes, upgrading over these would be a waste of money. I bought these to get immersed in movies, and when I watch movies, I feel immersed. Mission accomplished.

I am not an audiophile- an experienced listener could probably point out areas where the sound of these speakers is not as good as higher-end models. However, I believe that for the money they're an incredible value. To my ears they sound better than more expensive speakers I've been comparing them to.

If you're looking for audiophile-grade equipment, you probably shouldn't be looking in this price range. If you ARE looking in this price range, I think that the Meraks will be much better than anything else you'll find for the money. I'm pleasantly surprised, and really happy with my purchase.

Anonymous
anyone know a tune about loud car speakers by girls from east coast?

I bought a set of Merak MT-150's during the fall of 2002 and I am very pleased with them. I originally purchased these to play at dances. They are only 150 watt speakers connected to a Panasonic SA-HE70 reciever. This is only a 70 watt reciever but it is still capable of powering both of these speakers. The 15" subwoofer built in provide enough bass to send vibrations through your whole body, while the midrange and tweeter (also built into the casing) provide excellent quality. I've worked with speakers before that have only a subwoofer and midrange, but these Merak's provide much better quality (obvioiusly due to midrange and tweeter). These have enough bass for dances and enough quality so people can actually pick up what the singers are saying in the song. These are spectacular speakers for only $125 Canadian per speaker (On Sale at Radioshack). I currently have them connected to my home computer in my household and since I got them, my original computer speakers (altec lansing subwoofer and dual satellite tweeters) haven't been touched. I have put these speakers through some hard times, playing high bass songs very loudly. The radioshack representative laughed in my face when I said I was using these for dances and said I was gonna blow them, but I have proven him wrong. They haven't lost any quality whatsoever. I have convinced a few of my buddies to try Merak when they decided to purchase a new speaker system and they are glad they decided to try it out. I am pleased with the Merak line of speakers and highly recommend their products.

Musicman
Personally, I'm quite interested in the Altec Lansing product line. I just got their 251 5.1 speakers and they are unbelievable and have a great price too.

Anonymous
i got the meraks MT66's. the sound is great. First i thought, they are cheap speakers, but i tried them at home and they impressed me. The quality of the sound is very decend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us