Home system config inputs

Username: Willow

Post Number: 10
Hi. I am putting together a home system setup for a friend and would like your inputs.
Application will be 60% Movies 40% Music
Have a budget of around US$4 to 5K for receiver, speakers and dvd player. Room about 12 x 20 with high ceiling.

Want to fix on the speakers first and am considering the following brands:
PSB, Polk Audio, Def-Tech, RBH, Mordaunt Short or Paradigm -- too many to chose from!
I would like floor standing models for front left and right and bookshelves for rear and a sub to match.

I live in Asia where most of these models are not freely available -- especially to demo. So I will have to go with good advice on combinations and order the equipment to be shipped internationally.

I am looking at Rotel, NAD and possibly HK/Marantz receivers with 6.1 and 50 to 100w RMS per channel.

For DVD I am looking at the Denon DVD-2200 or Pioneer DV 45A.

Could someone help with possible combinations and model numbers?
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 833
With that budget, this is what I would buy.
Paradigm Phantom Home Theater speaker package
NAD T773
Denon DVD-2200

where in Asia are you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi Berny
Thanks for your inputs, Im based in India.
Do you think the power of the 773 is required. I was thinking more like 763 or even lower, thus allowing more for speakers...

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 304
I also think you shouldn't waste too much money on the receiver. A T753 or T763 will be fine and you can get better speakers.

The Denon 2200 is a good player if you dont require a DVI output for a projector/lcd/plasma screen. If you have one of those I suggest you get the Samsung DVD-HD931 with Faroudja DCDi for movies and maybe a Pioneer 565/575 for multichannel music.

Also you might want to try a Pioneer Elite setup with the 55TXi receiver and 47Ai or 59AVi player and connect them with firewire. You'll get SACD/DVD-A via digital and from what I've heard the quality is great. The 59Avi also has a HDMI out so you'll be future proof for a while.

I know none of those speakers very well, but about what I've read I'd say the Paradigm Studio series are quite nice. You might also want to check speakers from B&W (600/700 series), Dynaudio (Audience) and Tannoy (Sensys DC).

For a sub I suggest you get a Velodyne, SVS, HSU or REL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks Landroval. I will try and check out the Pioneer setup. I have a 742, so I do know what the NAD can deliver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us