Receiver for my old paradigms

Anonymous

I have a pair of the three year old monitor 7 speakers and a yamaha receiver. I am planning on upgrading my receiver and build a new HT system. I am looking at the HK330/Onkyo 601/Marantz 5400 as a replacement Can you please suggest which one would go better with my monitor 7s??

Thanks folks.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 361
Anon,

I actually would not recommend any of those receivers for Paradigm. Paradigm speakers have a very warm and detailed sound. In my opinion they sound much better when placed with a brighter sounding receiver. Those brands you listed are all warm sounding themselves (to varying degrees), so if you were to pair them with a warm speaker, the sound would be too warm and would sound lifeless in my opinion. For Paradigm, I would recommend brands such as NAD, Yamaha (dare I say it--but stick with the Yamaha 1400 or up), or perhaps Denon (although I personally am not impressed with Denon).

Anonymous

Johnny,

I see a lot of people talking about NAD on these boards. Havent yet had a chance to listen to any of them yet. Which one in the NAD is best. ( btw.. i am looking in the range of 500-600$)

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 362
Anon,

In that price range, you have a few options. The NAD T743 retails for $699 but has a street price of around $575. The older T742 is on closeout at a few different places (www.saturdayaudio.com being one) for $450. If you don't mind getting refurbished equipment, check out www.dmc-electronics.com. They have a refurbished T752 for $549 (retail $899) or a refurbished T762 for $699 (retail $1200). Both of these models offered by DMC as well as the T742 are last years models...hence the cheap prices. If you want more specific specs on each model, check out the NAD website at www.nadelectronics.com. I have dealt with Saturday Audio personally and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have never dealt with DMC personally, but I have heard from many others on this forum that they have wonderful customer service as well.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!!

Username: Yshuaw

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 8
Just purchased a PSB system and NAD 762 from DMC, and I have to say I am quite impressed with them. Had a chance ot visit their store and meet David (the owner) a really nice guy (even gave me free shipping when they failed to show up on the day I was supposed to pick up my system).

They have deals on the NAD, and you can ask about Denon and HK as well (although I am sold on NAD at this point)

Good luck and have fun!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us