Nad 1130

Username: Dolarsbin

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 8
So my girl and I stop in at our local goodwill earlier today to hunt down a reasonable priced vaccum cleaner. And what does my girl spot as we meander through the mess? A friggen nad 1130 preamp perched upon a monster console TV, and tucked under a big steel shelf too boot. I said, "sweet baby!" and the nad went in the cart. I got the nad home and hooked her up in the bedroom to my Adcom 5300, and BAM! She sounds great! And this was only with a cheapo sony cd player I had sitting around as a source. But still very impressive preamp. Especially for $7.99 + tax.... whoohoo! Next I get a turntable in there, cause I have heard much about that nad phono stage.... And backrub for the lady tonight for the eagle eye :-)

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 9
I have it all figured out, but it has a "normal out" and a "high out". And I am wary of hooking anything up to the high out. Does anyone know a good use for for the "high out"?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12142
Probably a split for bi-amping?
Ignore that.

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 11
I found something online, said it was a "high level output". And how I am understanding it, the rear "high out" jacks share the headphone amp with the "phones jack" on the front panel. Does that sound right?.... And as far as what you were saying Nuck, could be for the higher frequencies you mean?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12150
that was a guess, and not likely correct.
Maybe an out for active speakers???

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3267
I might be different gain levels. Not sure about the technical terms. Two different output voltages may be more accurate.

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 14
So a more powerful signal strength. That sounds right.... I am curious now though. Are there preamps with a separate low and high frequency out for the purpose of biamping?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12158
DB, post links to what you have found so far?

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 15
http://nadelectronics.com/product-info....... Actually, I found the manual in pdf. It says the high out is for powered loudspeakers and longer interconnect runs. Also says it produces output signals of up to 15 volts. Funny too, on the face of the 1130 there is a switch for "low/high level", that seems to max out the gain. And when I had it set to the "high level" I just about tripped the protection circuit on my Adcom 5300 at quarter volume. I can't imagine using the high level and high out at the same time without blowing the interconnects right out the back.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12160
I figgured it would do for powered monitors.
Careful with that axe, Eugene...

Nice deal for 8 bucks, LOL!

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 16
Yah, looks nice too, just a half inch black smudge right above the volume knob..... Now, if only I can stumble across a Krell Amplifier while perusing goodwill for a nice used toaster....

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 17
Thanks fer the imput Stu and Nuck!

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 20
Ok, so the "high out" is more specificly a "high current output stage". So in that my Adcom 5300, that is being fed by the Nad 1130, is a high current amp, shouldn't I get better dynamics in running off the "high current output stage" with the Adcom?.... Or blow the fuses perhaps?... Loving the Nad 1130! Please help me discover.

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 21
I know, i'm running the high out into the ground..... does someone know a good place to get owners manuals?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12173
DB, the high out is running up to 15 volts. Your amp requires 0-3 volts for max output. There is an input overload that will cause damage.
15 volts is way over that.http://www.hipposaudiovideo.com/ad5300.htm

yours is .9volts, actually.

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 22
Cool, thanks Nuck.... been doing my homework on it too, and I shall leave that high out well enough alone.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12281
Where did you end up, DB?

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 23
Got busy back at work this week. Sore as all get up every night this week, but it is the soreness of accomplishment..... I ended up picking up new speaker cables last weekend though. A pair of "signal cables" for the Adcom 5300/nad 1130 combo in the "studio", and a pair of MIT exp3s for the livingroom setup. And what a difference! The 1130 continues to impress me, and I have a Nad 5255 cd player (circa 1984, single disk)on the way to replace the sony 5 disc changer I have hooked up to it now. Also have my PC hooked up to the "tuner" input of the 1130 via miniplug from the PC audio out to male RCA's.... And the PC audio sounds real good, but next up perhaps a usb dac?... Definitely sticking with the 1130 though, loving it!

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 24
The speaker cables for the 5300/1130 combo... http://signalcable.com/classicspeaker.htmlAnd the speakers I have hooked up....http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monito50/ And the 1130/Adcom/signal cable combo really brings out the best in the Polks.

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 25
oops. The correct link....http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor50/

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12295
The 5255 has service mount componants, the op-amps and DAC can be changed.
I wish I had not flushed the links I had for that.
It is a capable cdp and I think you will like it, DB.

Do try a usb DAC as well. Take advantage of 30 day trials, the thing is cheap to ship.
Dont bother with Music Hall offerings, IMO.

I do not have fond memories of any Polk after the R series in the 80's, but thats just me.

http://www.stereotimes.com/acc071806.shtml

Just tossed that in there.
Hey what else did you get for free today?

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 26
Actually, I ended up picking up a nad 1020 preamp as well. It was being shipped when I stumbled across the 1130. I got it for $16 off ebay, lol...... Sounds almost as good as the 1130 and it works great (alas no links, hard to find info on the 1020), though the 1130 is the clear winner of the 2.... And service mount components for the 5255?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12301
That player will accept changeout componants, but I am not the guy to ask, hit the nerd forums, DB

You starting a used shop LOL?

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 27
One would think, after taking a look around my "studio" (2nd bedroom). Tape decks and recievers and such stacked up.... One of these days I will liquidate too, and then replace it all again, lol...... How exciting too, I gots a long winding upgrade road ahead :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12306
The 1973 Pioneer pre/power has been languishing for a while, I wonder about the combo with DCM Time Window 3a speakers that I have, new tweeters and all...

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1920
the DCMs were to front end a HT system as they stood up to two Carver amps mono blocked at 800 wpc. With the "new tweeters and all" treat them to what they deserve, all three of them. Not a '73 Pioneer. That's like a Plymouth Satellite up against a Charger, Cuda, or Challenger.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12315
Stryvn got tired of waiting for me to send him the Rotel amp, I could biamp with the 5 channel Rotel...

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 29
I got the nad 5255 cd player today and just hooked it up...... And I gotta say, Nad certainly new how to build a cd player in 1985! The lense is in the tray and I think the tray could double for a step to change a lightbulb. And my speakers got farther apart without moving them. Sounds awesome!..... op-amps and dac conversion huh? I'll look into that :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12402
Nad has a well founded rep for building good cdp's for reasonable bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 446
Surface mount, not service mount.
It is a technique for attaching electrical components to a circuit board/

My NAD 1700 tuner/pre also had a double set of outputs. I tried the 'hi' outputs once and they were very much louder for any given vol level. The book says they were for long runs..... But how much voltage drop will you need to make the hi outputs worth while?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us