Absolute newb

Username: Briancole23

Post Number: 7
Hey guys, I am new to home audio and video. My fiancee and I are about to buy our first home and i am already doing researh on my man caves electronics. I am gonna look around but was wondering what you all thought of cadence home audio. I am gonna be a cadence dealer so I can get it pretty cheap. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2440
Never heard of it. Sorry. How or why are you becoming a dealer of that stuff? Car audio?

Post Number: 8
exactly. there isn't a cadence dealer in town so I wanted to take advantage. cadence car audio is some good stuff. the home audio looks good but looks can be deceiving as we all know

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3265
Not to sound the wrong way, but if you're going to be a Cadence dealer why ask us what we think of it? You should know the product you're going to sell, support and endorse inside and out. If I say its the best or worst gear I've ever heard, is that going to make any difference?

Post Number: 9
What does their home audio have to do with me selling their car audio? and further more, how does your response even help answer my question? I am not trying to sound the wrong way either but regardless of what should be done, I have had know experience with their home audio or any other home audio because I am not going to sell home audio. And just because I am going to be a dealer does not mean that I should know their products inside and out on the day that I sign up to be a dealer let alone a month before... I just dont see the point of addressing that. and further more just because I am a dealer does not mean that I should put my stamp of approval on all of their products. I would rather be an honest dealer and tell the customer what is going to make them happy, but maybe that is just the way that I feel like it should be

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13530

Just because you can buy something cheap is no reason to do so. IMO more often than not it is a reason to not buy a product.

How about providing a link to their web page?

Post Number: 10
http://www.cadencehometheaterspeakers.com/store/pc/home.asp

I know that just because its just doesnt mean i should buy it. Thats why im trying to get some opinions instead of not just buying it...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13531

And, if you'll stop rebutting everything anyone says, you might get a few opinions of the gear.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13532

My first question is; why did you place this in the home audio "receivers" section of the forum? This is home theater stuff and I don't see a receiver from this line. They say they have amplifiers but I can't find any. They say they have reviews but all I can find is, "Awesome Speakers"
Conrad Goff on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:14:58 AM".

Like I'm going to take Conrad's word.

The tab for requesting a catalog doesn't work nor do the black tabs at the top of the page. This isn't a reflection of the company but this should be fixed if the guy wants to come across as professional.

From what I see the only thing "special" about these speakers is they play loud without much power. That means they would compete with Cerwin Vega and Klipsch and a hundred other play loud speakers from no name companies. Speakers that play loud typically don't impress most audiophiles due to the sonic compromises required to achieve high sensitivity. Nothing indicates these are special in any way. Nothing says these are anything other than another manufacturer's drivers put in someone else's box. That would make these speakers about the same as a few hundred other no reputation speakers. The company is young so despite their "Amercian Dream" motto, you would be building a name for a company that might go out of business in a year and leave you with dissatisfied customers and blown speakers.

Without hearing these speakers against something of equivalent "quality" I would pass on these without looking back just from what I see. But my tastes don't run to this sort of speaker so maybe someone else would have a different opinion. If someone is a headbanger and these are cheap, they might buy it - but they'll probably blow it up too.

This stuff is sold factory direct. Why would anyone buy this from a dealer instead of buying direct and saving money?

These are the specs provided for the 12" sub that sells direct for $299;

CABINET SPECIFICATIONS
• Hand Polished Gloss Black Piano Finish Front Baffle.
• 3/4" High Density MDF Fiber Construction.
• Bonded and braced at all critical joints, engineered to dampen and eliminate all vibration for transparent and accurate bass reproduction.
• Front firing subwoofer with "computer tuned bass-reflex port system".
• Black wood grain cabinet finish with spiked footings and floor protection casters.

SUBWOOFER SPECIFICATIONS
• High Power 12" Subwoofer.
• 2" Four-Layer Dupont Kapton Voice Coil Former.
• 70oz. Heavy Duty Magnet Motor Structure.
• Extended Pole Piece Technology.
• Vented and Extended Magnet Back Plate.
• Double Laminated Surround and Dual Spider Suspension System.
• Frequency Response: 25-500Hz

AMPLIFIER SPECIFICATIONS
• Built-in Linear Class A 350 Watt Dynamic Power Amplifier.
• RMS Amplifier Power: 150 Watts @ <1% THD.
• High Current Output stage utilizing 6 Ring Emitter Technology Sanken Studio.
• Grade Japanese Transistors.
• Lowest Mains Buzz of any subwoofer on the market, guaranteed!
• High Damping Factor >400 @ 80Hz for Superior Subwoofer Control.
• 33KOhm Input Impedance which prevents input signal loss and insures distortion free signal transfer.
• High Grade, Minimal Loss, Tiffany Style Low Level RCA Input Jacks.
• Auto Start Turn-On/Turn-Off with Audio Signal 1mV sensitivity.
• Fully Adjustable Phase Control 0-180 Degrees.
• Fully Adjustable Low Pass Subwoofer Crossover Frequency Control 40Hz-120Hz @ 12dB per octave.
• Fully Adjustable Bass Boost Equalizer +12dB @ 45Hz.
• Independent Sub Bass Volume Control.
• Crossover Bypass Switch for Full Range Unit Operation Option.
• Slew Rate 80 volts per uS in Full Range.
• Frequency Response: 10-120Hz +/-3dB LP (10Hz-500Hz Bypass).
• Signal/Noise Ratio >110dB+.
• LED Power On Indicator.
• 110/220 Voltage Selector.
• Cabinet Size: 17.25"(w) x 16"(d) x 16.25"(h).
• 2 Year Warranty

IMO I can't buy a good plate amp for $299. This makes me think this stuff is pretty cheaply made.

If the idea of this post is just to get people hitting on the Cadence web page, we can stop this now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well I guess the first thing I want to say is the reason that I kept rebutting everything that everyone was saying was because I felt like everyone was missing the point of what I was trying to ask ie, if im going to be a car audio dealer, I should know ALL of their products inside out and support them all no matter what. I disagree 110% with that statement and then "Just because you can get something cheap, doesnt mean you should buy it". I wouldnt have been asking anyones opinion if I had already planned on buying it. I even stated from the beginning that I am going to be looking around, so it seemed like someone felt like I wasnt doing true research and that I could be easily sold on something with a low price tag. I posted in this forum because as I stated in the title of this thread "absolute newb" I didnt realize that it was the wrong place to post it. I apologize for that, and I really mean that. Lastly, why would I be trying to move traffic to their website if I dont sell home audio? and you asked me to put the link up... This is a prime example of how things always come across the wrong way online. I wasnt trying in anyway to be a rude or combative but I did get defensive because I felt like there were rude comments posted and comments posted that insulted my audio intelligence (or what little home audio intelligence I have) haha! I was just saying in all things, to me usually a cheap price tag usually means low quality but when you are a dealer a cheap price tag means you are getting it at dealer cost and that kinda blurrs the lines for me a bit and that is why I wanted to get more of an experienced opinion. As I stated before, they look good but looks can be real deceiving. I apologize if anyone felt like I was coming off aggresively and apologize if I put this thread in the wrong place. If there is a way I can move it or if a mod can move it. Please let me know.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13533

bc, what you just gave me was a rebuttal.

You wouldn't be the first to post such a thread in hopes of driving up activity on a web page. If you didn't have that intent, that's all there is to it.

There were two responses to your op. I doubt anyone could have seriously insulted your audio intelligence in that short a time.

The thread is where it is and doesn't require moving.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i apologize to anyone if I offended or aggrivated anyone. I just wanted to ask for advice on what you guys that about that equipment. I appreciate you still giving me your opinion jan vigne even though I was rebbutting everything you said. I truly am sorry and I really do appreciate it. I think I will pass on cadence home audio and look around and see if there are threads that talk about better equipment. I am very interested in learning. Thank you again for your input

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12135
Good to have you bc.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12136
You can get on any other thread from the menu. It has been a while since we got to talk to a car guy looking home.

Ask away.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2480
I don't know if this is the same company, but I remember a few years back there was tons of Cadence speakers for sale on ebay. From what I remember reading they were white-van fodder (and looked it). Hopefully this isn't the same manufacturer.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3645
Brian,

If you truly want to become a (car or home) audio dealer, I'd like to make a few suggestions:

1. Locate your friendly Yellow Pages and check out the competition.

2. Once you've identified who the competition is, go around and look at their facilities.

3. In the UK, we have something called Companies House. Any publically quoted company has to provide basic accounts (just a balance sheet and P/L). You probably have the same where you are. Find any and all information you can. There may be none, there may be some.

Once you've done all that, you've got some idea of what and how much business is going round in your area and from that you should be able to work out roughly:

a. What kind of market you've got.
b. What kind of sales - i.e. low end, high end etc.?
c. Long term longevity.

For example, I wanted to open a high end HiFi shop in Malta. I did some research and found just one main competitor and noticed he was doing very little business. I persevered and worked out that at best we'd survive for 3 years and the market would have dried up and we'd go out of business.

On the other hand, there's a thriving car audio market in Malta but I know nothing about and have little interest in car audio.

All that said, here's a couple of quality brands that are less well known in car audio circles which may not have local representation in your area:

Focal speakers
Dynaudio speakers

But when it comes to electronics I'm as dumb as a dumbass from Dumbtown...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
frank, thanks for your advice. I feel like i came off a bit too aggressive at the beginning of this thread and I feel bad about that becuase I honestly am the least combative person I know. As for your advice, I really do appreciate. I already know my competition very well because here in cincinnati the car audio shops are like a small community. We all know each other and all of the employees go from shop to shop. I have already picked out my brands. They are: cadence, massive audio, and hifonics. I will also carry kenwood, pioneer and jvc radios. I was just really curious about what everyone thought about cadence home audio because if I ask the dealer of course they will speak highly of it. I wanted to get a real world opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2449
My dealer is getting out of car audio as he says its dieing. This could be just for his area though. Car companies now a days are already putting decent systems in or making it impossible to put after market systems in. A lot of complications. Just dont throw out the old deck.lol

But if your area is different Brian I would also recommend carrying both Eclipse and Clarion decks. Those are my two favorites, and probably have the best built head units to handle higher voltages from car audio amps. I like Franks rec. for speakers. I would like to add Boston Accoustics as well. Make OK home speakers, and wicked car audio stuff. Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I already have all of the audio lines that I plan to carry for now. I cant get into those other brands right now. My audio shop is making great money to just be starting out, but i do appreciate everyones ideas (except for that clarion one. i hate clarion decks hahaha! just messin with you) I was really just curious about the quality of the cadence home audo speakers for my home theater system im puttin together

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2489
Good to hear your business is doing well Brian. Best of luck to you.

Here's a link to some Cadence speakers on ebay. Calling them low-fi would probably be generous.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CADENCE-SOUND-SYSTEMS-S-17-SURROUND-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ310137 378889QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item310137378889&_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
hahaha alright alright. I am not going with cadence anymore. I am going with axiom speakers and im now considering an onkyo 606 for my reciever. guess i wont need an amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 2455
Thats much better Brian.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12175
Dishing quality info, saving audio souls...all in a days work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2456
LMAO!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us