Blowing speaker fuse?

Username: Gonzoboy

Post Number: 1
Help an electronics numbskull? Vector Research 5000 receiver, had it for 20+ years, has always worked beautifully... but over the past year I've blown the left channel speaker fuse 4 times. May be something obvious but I'm clueless...

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 820
check your speaker wire if there is a short of any kind.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny but no, I ran new wire when I replaced the speakers, but problem persisted.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 987
Can your receiver handle the new speakers' load/impedance?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
If nothing else has changed in the system and you are suddenly blowing fuses with a twenty year + reciever you probably have a few capacitors leaking DC current into the outputs. It happens as electrolytic caps get older. Speakers and fuses don't like DC. This is a repair job for a tech.
If something has changed in the system before you started blowing fuses go back briefly to the old set up and see if it still occurs. You say you replaced the wires and speakers at the same time. I assume this was after you started having a problem. If not take the wires off and check from end to end with a VOM or continuity tester to see if there might be broken insulaton in the wire which is allowing a short circuit.

Post Number: 3
They're pretty low-end Sony bookshelfs, so I don't think load or ohms is an issue... and yes, I replaced speakers and wire after I noticed the problem (they were old anyway, and I thought they were the cause of the fuzzing & buzzing & popping, oh my!). It was only then that I discovered that I even HAD fuses for the speakers...

The capacitor issue is what a fellow at a local upscale shop mentioned (I was in there for business reasons), but I wanted to make sure he wasn't just trying to sell me something... so I consulted the sages of The Board, to whom I am grateful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us