Tone arm balance

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Previously, I made a remark and a suggestion to find a balance beam type tone arm balance to set tracking force. I have such a device that was supplied with the original AR turntable. I have not seen such a product on the market and thought it had disappeared from the world years ago. It was a superior product over the Shure balance beam since the Shure is made from metal that will be attracted by the magnet in your cartridge and you cannot rely on the tracking force you dial in being the same once the attraction is taken away.
The June/July issue of "The Absolute Sound" has a brief report of a "new" balance beam from REK-O-KUT that appears to be an exact copy of the old AR unit. It is highly recommended to those using a turntable who don't know how to set tracking force by sight and sound. It sells for $24 and is available from www.esotericsound.com.
AR used to give their's away free.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 19
I prefer using the Shure SFG2. The equivalent Ortofon (still made today) is mainly made of plastic and the downside is that it seems to suffer more friction in its pivot. The Shure is non-magnetic, being stainless steel and is still available.

There are also insanely priced electronic stylus force gauges available - The Cartridge Man in the UK makes one.

regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us