Power Amplifier

mack
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone

I am putting together a cheap system in my room right now and i have a few questions. I would like lots of power because i love bss and i am running 2 12 inch subwoofers. I need lots of power for these but do not have alot of money. Would either of these work

http://www.millionbuy.com/pyrpa1000x.html

http://www.millionbuy.com/pylpt2000.html

I am thinking of going with one of these or the 800 watt version instead of 1000.

Will these work and do they actually give out the watts they say they do.

thanks alot

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 779
they will work but the distortion on these are horrible so beter get a highly efficient speakers. Preferably horn loaded.
And no they don't give out the wattage on a continuous basis...maybe for a millisecond burst. But they will work for what you want...LOUD!

mack
Unregistered guest
Hello

I am using two 12 inch jl w0's wired at 8 ohms would the distortion be bad.

thanks alot

Silver Member

Post Number: 800
not, if you are only using it as a sub. Do your JLs have dual voice coils??

mack
Unregistered guest
What do you mean by using it only as a sub. And no its a single voice coil I beleive.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 565
The distortion is just poor for a solid state amp. It is great for a tube amp. Anyway, the distortion will not be noticeable--speakers have far more distortion than 0.05% max. at most of their frequency range.

Make sure you buy speakers that require this power to be driven. Or else, if you aren't careful with your volume control (always keep it very low and then raise up slowly), the drivers may go up in smoke----poof!!! Of course, unless your hearing is poor, you should be able to tell when you are driving speakers into distortion--and when that happens you need to back off on the volume pronto, before you damage the drivers and fry any speaker circuitry

The distortion will be the least of your problems. Sound quality will depend on the drivers you buy--and good drivers aren't cheap. And the speaker performance will only be as good as the quality of the drivers, the crossovers, and the speaker housing.

You need to find a good DIY speaker building site with recommendations on all aspects--or else you will be flying blind.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
"It is great for a tube amp."

There you go again.

What is your problem? No one had even mentioned tube amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 806
looks like Gman's got this one.

mack,
Are you using this auto speakers for home use? I'm just referring to the pyramids...the distortion at high volumes is very noticeable in the high frequency drivers.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 566
Jan--

Knew I'd get you on the flight deck :-)

There would be nothing wrong with a good tube amp either. It is just difficult (if not impossible) to find a powerful tube amp at a reasonable price.

mack
Unregistered guest
Which of the two would you guys reccomend the pyle or pyramid. And is there any other amps at this price and around the same wattage that are better.

thanks alot for all your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 812
to be honest, they're from the same factory and made the same way. None is better than the other.

Bronze Member
Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 25
What size room are you working with? What are you using for your main speakers and what are you driving them with? There are even more options out there and some may even save you some $$.

mack
Unregistered guest
The room is a medium sized bedroom not that big. I am using 2 j12 inch jl audio w0's. For speaker i am using 1 or 2 very old speakers. It looks like they have tweeters and a 10 or 8 ich sub in them there is no name on them but they are old but pretty good speakers. I am driving themk with a minisystem right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Hey mack, you might try downloading a program called WinISD and modeling an enclosure for those JL's to see if they'll work well for indoor use. Just 'cause a sub "crushes" in a vehicle dosen't mean it'll do the same indoors.

Go here: http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

Also consider one of these to power one of your subs http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=43&Object Group_ID=505

You don't need to go overboard with power indoors. A couple of hundred watts (r.m.s.) to a 12 in a well designed box and your bedroom system will really be jumpin'.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I just ran WinISD for your subs (JL 12-W0's). Just build a sealed box 3.32 cu.ft. and you're there. Drive it with a "plate amp" and you'll have what you need. Subwoofer plate amps are made for what you want and will easily hook up to your ayatem whereas the Pyle or Pyramid amps you mentioned won't.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Just to clarify things. The JL's are SUBWOOFERS and as such, they should be set up to play only bass. Set up this way and augmenting your main speakers you'll get great results.

mack
Unregistered guest
thanks alot for your help. Is a plate amp the ones you suggested from parts express. Also what wattage would drive the two subs good. thanks alot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Those plate amps are optimized to drive one 4-ohm load but can run with an 8-ohm load at reduced power. Try this one with one sub to start with: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-796 .

I know you'd like to run both subs, but in a bedroom, unless it's VERY big, it would be serious overkill. If all else fails, Parts Express has a 45 day return policy.

Come check things out over at: http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us