Cheap Phono Amplifier

Username: Musictones

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a phono amp, but to be honest I don't have a lot of experience. I've done a bit of research online and I've found a couple that seem to be good bargains for close to the same price range.

The first one is the Dino MK2 Phono (heres a link STONEAUDIO UKhttp://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/ | hi-fi, home cinema, multi-room, design and installation).

Another I Found was the Firestone Phono (slightly cheaper, but Im not sure which is a better amp - link: http://soundadditions.com/korora.html Korora RIAA Phono Stage | Sound Additions)

I also found a few random other ones but they didn't seem to spark my interest the same as these two did. I only have around 350$ or so to spend - but I'd like some advice. I'm leaning towards the MK2 but the cost being in Euros is a little harsh being Canadian So we'll see... any advice is really appreciated!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13512
Check the May issue of Stereophile and the ST write up on the Musical Fidelity product.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3628
Hi Jay,

I have some experience of the Dino. I was really quite impressed actually since I had a pre-formed optinion that the timing of the Trichord products was suspect. In the event it was anything but, and really very enjoyable indeed.

The others on the StoneAudio site that caught my eye are:

The Pro-ject PhonoBox SE II which I have played with and gave a very satisfying performance considering the price.

The Tom Evans Microgroove (which can be upgraded very effectively to the Microgroove+) are always favourites but they are a bit more finicky because they have to be factory-set for MC cartridges.

The Dynavector P-75 MkII is a perennial favourite which I use regularly. The only limitation is that it needs to be left switched on for optimum performance (which is often true of other electronics too).

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2460
Don't buy the Firestone one.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12097
Still bitter Dave?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2463
Does it show?

Post Number: 2
David,

Can you elaborate? I don't really understand why you said that, no explanation :-)
Not sure why all the hostility. I think Frank made a pretty awesome post though. Ill definitely check into your recommendations. Thanks!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2469
Frank always makes awesome posts.

I recommend you stay away from Firestone products because they are of poor quality. I've tried two different items, one with unsatisfactory results, and the other with catastrophic results.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your feedback Dave.

That really surprises me, because half the reason why I was considering the Korora is because I have a Cute Beyond and it works very well for me. I love using it with my IPod and its portable enough I can really bring it anywhere.

Perhaps you had just really bad luck? Did you try to get a refund for your products? I believe most Firestone Audio dealers (at least the one I bought from) gives a full refund minus the shipping cost I believe... so maybe that's something to think about :-)

Sorry for your bad luck though all the same, and I do appreciate the feedback. I'm looking into the options Frank posted for me, and I guess Ill go from there.

Cheers all!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2472
No problem. I actually liked my Fubar III when I first got it, but over the headphone jack has become messed up and I have to jiggle it to get sound coming out of both sides. On top of that, the sound is distorted and crackly now. To the point of being unlistenable.

I tried out the Firestone tube pre-amp (forget what it's called) and as soon as I turned it on it emitted a crazy loud buzzing sound and smoked the woofers on my Totems. Needless to say I was less than impressed. I got a refund for that one, but the dealer refused to reimburse me for my blown speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3643
To be fair to the dealer, that's pretty standard I'm afraid.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2474
Agreed Frank. In all fairness, I can understand the dealer refusing reimbursement. After all, people do stupid things and wreck their own equipment. I do a lot of stupid things, but I don't put my own gear in jeopardy. C'est la vie. I just won't buy anything from that dealer again. To another dealer's credit (my local dealer), he ordered the woofers from Totem for me, and replaced them no charge, even though I didn't even buy the speakers from him! How's that for service?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us