200.00 price limit SONY or YAMAHA

Username: Kyle___berg

Post Number: 1
I have a 200.oo price limit. I would Like to stay with yamaha or sony. multiple optical jacks needed, and component input?output 50% theater 50% music no SACD THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 355
Kyle,

Any reason you want to stay with Yamaha or Sony? In this price range especially, I think you can do much better. At this price range, both Sony and Yamaha sound very bright and harsh. I would not recommend them, but if you must stay with them, I would probably choose Yamaha because their receivers have high current amplification whereas Sony does not (at least at this price). This will help in situations when sudden bursts of power are needed.

Just a word of warning to you. Don't trust the power ratings that you see for the Yamaha or Sony receivers you are likely looking at. Many different receiver brands tend to inflate their power ratings to make them seem like they have more power than what they really do. It is kind of complicated how they do it, but basically, they measure their power in a way to make the power seem better than it really is. Yamaha and Sony are two of the brands that are known for doing this. If the receiver you are looking at says it has 100 watts per channel, it likely won't even get half of that when measured correctly. I am not trying to disuade you from buying...just wanted to warn you. Many people buy receivers simply because of those power ratings. Just don't want to see you get burned by these shady marketing tactics and buy something that you think is powerful when in reality it isn't.

If I may, let me make a suggestion that I think will sound much better than those receivers you are looking at. Check out this link. http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=382635 This is for an Onkyo TX-SR501 for $229 and free shipping. In my opinion, it will offer a much better sound and performance than any Sony or Yamaha in this price range. Also, search the web and try to find some refurbished Harman Kardon receivers. You may be able to find one for pretty close to $200. Once again, in my opinion HK will sound much better than Sony or Yamaha.

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 42
I am no expert but I think the Onkyo SR501 would be a much better buy. Or you could even look at the Kenwoods being sold. I initially was looking at Yamaha and Pioneer until I bought the Kenwood VR5700. Check out these receivers out, it might be a viable alternative to Sony and Yamaha.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/search/search.asp?Search=kenwood&CurDSN=simple&c alledfrom=1&incimage=on

Post Number: 4
thanks guys, as you can probably tell, I am new to this. any other suggestions would be helpful!!!
-Kyle

Post Number: 5
would you say
onkyo is middle or top of the line???

Post Number: 6
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/56409.html <<<could somone look at my other post???

Matt Whitesides
Unregistered guest
really in the price u got u need one with out a dvd player and there better to but anyway i like sony its good stuff and i know a good one that is 199.99 it is a ... well i dont know the modal but its has 5.1 ex sound and pro logic 2 and dts and all that stuff but itdosent have all the bells and fancy stuff that u really dont need but if u are just useint it to play games or dvds it is a great and at your price system
but it only has ont optical jack and no componet but really u should just hook up the componet video into your tv not the reciver it gives u a little better picture but thats as good as u can get from soney but for all the stuff u want u need a bigger price range or need to go with a cheaper brand and the cheaper the brand the worcer.....(worcer thats not a word) the sound will be and u cant get real cheap stuff from biger names like that

also if u play 1/2 music and 1/2 movies why do u need more than one optical jack and u can play music on a dvd player and it will sound really good just as good

Matt Whitesides
Unregistered guest
johns reciver was only a reciver i dont know if u wanted speakers in the psckage or not but if u dont want speaker thats a good reciver

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 358
Kyle,

You ask whether Onkyo is "middle or top line". In the grand scheme of things, it is very difficult to put labels such as this on audio equipment. How something sounds is very subjective, so what sounds good to one person may sound like total crap to another. Therefore, it really is difficult to say what is "middle line" and what is "top of the line". However, in this price range, I really do think that the Onkyo I mentioned is about as good as you are going to do (unless you can find something better used on Ebay or something). Like I said in my earlier post, at this price, Sony and Yamaha receivers sound VERY bright and harsh. They may sound good in the store when only listening for a few minutes, but when you get them home and watch a movie for a couple of hours, it is likely that you will begin to notice this brightness more and more and it may bring on listener fatigue. By comparison, the Onkyo doesn't sound bad at all. I actually had an earlier model of the Onkyo I listed and its sound was more toward neutral and it was much more detailed an open sounding than the Sony's or Yamaha's ever did to my ears.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 18
Kyle,

At your price point I would also consider matching the reciever with the dvd player just for the simple ease of having the receiver remote able to control the dvd player. I know that most receivers come with "universal remotes" but I have yet to find a "universal remote" that is able to really do everything 2 separate remotes are able to do. This may be a superficial point but you did ask for any other suggestions.

Onkyo may be less bright than the Yamaha and Sony but it is all up to your ears and will depend on the speakers you use.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 359
Mr. Speeed,

I don't mean to be rude or anything, and you certainly make a valid point, but I know that I would not want to buy a lackluster receiver simply for the fact that it is the same brand as the DVD Player. Sony makes some decent DVD Players that are relatively inexpensive...but their receivers in this price range just really aren't very good. Better than nothing I guess, but in my opinion you can do a lot better. If anything, I would probably do it the other way around...buy the receiver first, and then try to get a DVD Player to match. At this price point, all DVD Players are pretty much the same anyway. The receiver will have a much greater impact on the sound quality than the DVD Player ever will.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 19
Johnny,

I agree with you. I didn't really mean to say buy the DVD player first then the receiver to match but the other way around. I also wouldn't solely make a decision based on matching components but it was really food for thought. I wouldn't buy a lackluster receiver either but I wouldn't call Sony or Yamaha lackluster. Yeah they are not a $6,000 pre/pro/amp package but would still be decent at the price point indicated.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us